GL1800Riders Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of August's Ride of the Month Challenge!
21 - 40 of 79 Posts

·
Registered
3,300 Posts
I can answer because I do have a smaller bike in the "stable" beside my 2018 "ST" and 2010 Goldwings. But I cannot call it more nimble. I can blast the twisties better on either of the other two. I scrape the side stand very early on a left hander on the M50 which means I have to hang off more.

2005 Suzuki M50 Boulevard
Wheel Tire Land vehicle Fuel tank Vehicle

Tire Wheel Plant Car Flower

·
Registered
2019 Tour 6MT
652 Posts
I used to. Once had a Reflex 250 scooter and then a Burgman 650 scooter.
I‘m taller and find it pretty easy to move my ‘19 around the garage - so I don’t really feel the need now.

·
Registered
1,127 Posts
Discussion Starter · #27 ·
Well,
I have a Three step program. The Wing is for heavy duty, long distance, two up, ultra smooth, ultra quiet and all that type of cruising/touring. Then, one step down is a 2018 Honda Africa Twin Adventure Sports DCT. It's my middle of the ground bike for low to higher speed running around, exploring, forest service roads and all that. Then, I have my TRACTOR BIKE. It's a 2007 Yamaha TW200. That little bike has taken me places I never thought I'd go. It's not all that fast but, I didn't buy it for that and, it will always get you there.
Scott
My sis a bro-in-law have a TW 200...they've had it for years and they love it.

·
Registered
1,127 Posts
Discussion Starter · #28 ·
I don't know how so many of you can afford multiple bikes, and new, or newer ones at that. I'll be lucky if I get to spend $4K on a 20 year old bike...must be nice to be rich...

·
Registered
2021 6 speed Wing, 2021 Kawasaki Z900RS, 2019 Road Glide
2,618 Posts
I don't know how so many of you can afford multiple bikes, and new, or newer ones at that. I'll be lucky if I get to spend $4K on a 20 year old bike...must be nice to be rich...
Invest 10-15% of your salary in low cost index funds and by the time you are 60 you'll have a million or so in your portfolio. I certainly didn't get wealthy on my civil service income.

·
Registered
2018 Honda Goldwing Tour DCT Airbag
2,818 Posts
I wouldn't necessarily call it "rich". In many, many cases, you learn to manage money wisely. You don't go overboard in spending. You learn to pay off what you can, when you can. When one item or debt is paid off, you move that payment to another debt/item. When that one is paid off, you move those two payments to another debt/item if you have such. It is a monetary discipline that is not easily accepted by a vast majority.

It is PHENOMENALLY easier to get INTO debt, than it is get OUT of debt. Within minutes you can be $30K in debt for the glimmer of a new Wing. But, to pay it off with other factors like house payments, car payments, maybe appliance payments, insurance payments and more, paying off that Wing is gonna take the entire term it was set up for.

There's about a zillion variables in this situation. TWO INCOMES from married couple is an outstanding help. If one chooses to stay home, then that makes things that much harder. If one income is substantial, as in say, oh, maybe $100K-$150K a year, and you're wise with your money, that's a great place to be in life. As has been suggested, if you take a percentage of that income and put it in some sort of investment that maybe grows slowly over a life span, and matures at a projected retirement date, then you're all that much better off. That is of course, if you've been wise and set yourself up to be DEBTLESS at retirement.

Education and application of yourself is paramount. If you're only planning on working at McDonalds your entire life, well, then you don't have a lot to look forward to. But if you strive to accel, strive to make yourself better than you were, better than your folks had it, better than the next guy, then you'll end up in considerably better conditions later in life.

Then there's the notion of buying USED and not new. There are literally zillions of deals to be had on this planet, if you're in the right place, at the right time. Buying used can be and often is, a very, very sensible way to purchase. And that includes anything on the planet, not just motorcycles. NEW is good and fun, if, IF, you have the money and doing such does not affect your status to sustain a decent quality of life for maybe you, your wife and your kids.

I never, ever in my life, thought I'd see the day when I'd have THREE bikes all at the same time in my possession. But again, common sense in terms of money management, has helped immensely in my strategy.

The two smaller bikes, the Yamaha TW200 and the Africa Twin are paid off. The '18 Wing, well, it's got about maybe 6 months and it will be paid off.

To me, it's all about using good common sense as we get older and are on some form of a fixed income.

Just because you have some spare income or money, doesn't mean you HAVE to spend or use it.
Scott

·
Registered
2015 Goldwing Anniversary Edition / 2016 GSX-R750
31 Posts
I wouldn't necessarily call it "rich".
Agreed, I am nowhere near rich, but I have made some good choices (and bad...) in life. When the GSX-R750 was paid off, I found a good deal on a used Goldwing. When the Wing is paid off, I'll be looking for a good deal on a used Harley.

·
Registered
1,127 Posts
Discussion Starter · #34 ·
Invest 10-15% of your salary in low cost index funds and by the time you are 60 you'll have a million or so in your portfolio. I certainly didn't get wealthy on my civil service income.
Too late, I'm 64, and I didn't get rich on my civil service or military incomes either...

·
Registered
1,127 Posts
Discussion Starter · #35 ·
I wouldn't necessarily call it "rich". In many, many cases, you learn to manage money wisely. You don't go overboard in spending. You learn to pay off what you can, when you can. When one item or debt is paid off, you move that payment to another debt/item. When that one is paid off, you move those two payments to another debt/item if you have such. It is a monetary discipline that is not easily accepted by a vast majority.

It is PHENOMENALLY easier to get INTO debt, than it is get OUT of debt. Within minutes you can be $30K in debt for the glimmer of a new Wing. But, to pay it off with other factors like house payments, car payments, maybe appliance payments, insurance payments and more, paying off that Wing is gonna take the entire term it was set up for.

There's about a zillion variables in this situation. TWO INCOMES from married couple is an outstanding help. If one chooses to stay home, then that makes things that much harder. If one income is substantial, as in say, oh, maybe $100K-$150K a year, and you're wise with your money, that's a great place to be in life. As has been suggested, if you take a percentage of that income and put it in some sort of investment that maybe grows slowly over a life span, and matures at a projected retirement date, then you're all that much better off. That is of course, if you've been wise and set yourself up to be DEBTLESS at retirement.

Education and application of yourself is paramount. If you're only planning on working at McDonalds your entire life, well, then you don't have a lot to look forward to. But if you strive to accel, strive to make yourself better than you were, better than your folks had it, better than the next guy, then you'll end up in considerably better conditions later in life.

Then there's the notion of buying USED and not new. There are literally zillions of deals to be had on this planet, if you're in the right place, at the right time. Buying used can be and often is, a very, very sensible way to purchase. And that includes anything on the planet, not just motorcycles. NEW is good and fun, if, IF, you have the money and doing such does not affect your status to sustain a decent quality of life for maybe you, your wife and your kids.

I never, ever in my life, thought I'd see the day when I'd have THREE bikes all at the same time in my possession. But again, common sense in terms of money management, has helped immensely in my strategy.

The two smaller bikes, the Yamaha TW200 and the Africa Twin are paid off. The '18 Wing, well, it's got about maybe 6 months and it will be paid off.

To me, it's all about using good common sense as we get older and are on some form of a fixed income.

Just because you have some spare income or money, doesn't mean you HAVE to spend or use it.
Scott
I guess I shouldn't complain too much, the only debt I have is my GW. My house and cars are paid off, I have no CC debt, and I have a decent pension. I COULD afford more toys, but the wife absolutely hates it when I buy them, especially expensive ones like motorcycles. She prefers to spend money renovating the house, or on our grand kids, which is hard to argue with...

·
Registered
2018 Honda Goldwing Tour DCT Airbag
2,818 Posts
The problem is, I'm SPOILED to death now. That is, I could trim the stable down to just the Wing and be money ahead. But I absolutely LOVE climbing on that Africa Twin Adventure Sports DCT and zooming around in all kinds of atmospheres. Then, when the mood strikes, I also love climbing on that little TW200 and put-put around on small trails and fun sightseeing back roads without worrying too much if I take a tumble. And if I do, I stand up, brush myself off and stand that little TW right back up and take off.

If the A/T goes down for a nap, I darn near have to call for air support like a Huie or Sky crane to assist in standing that beast back up. Fortunately, I carry what's called an Eastbound Motowinch with that A/T 24/7. Anyway, it's fun later in life to have at least a couple of options for us old dudes that still like two wheels.

·
Registered
'22 Goldwing DCT
219 Posts
Unless your other bikes are also cruisers, I feel like all my other bikes felt so raw when I ride on them after my experiences with the Goldwing.
Things just don't feel right for me in all of my other bikes anymore.

I may end up selling all my other bikes and get another GW later when the new design is released; probably, in 2024 or 2025. If I sell them all, I need a backup bike, just in case, the GW is waiting for parts or something.

If anyone have some recommendations for a substitute as a smaller Goldwing, I'm all ears.

21 - 40 of 79 Posts