GL1800Riders Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of August's Ride of the Month Challenge!
41 - 60 of 79 Posts

·
Registered
2018 Honda Goldwing Tour DCT Airbag
2,818 Posts
Unless your other bikes are also cruisers, I feel like all my other bikes felt so raw when I ride on them after my experiences with the Goldwing.
Things just don't feel right for me in all of my other bikes anymore.

I may end up selling all my other bikes and get another GW later when the new design is released; probably, in 2024 or 2025. If I sell them all, I need a backup bike, just in case, the GW is waiting for parts or something.

If anyone have some recommendations for a substitute as a smaller Goldwing, I'm all ears.
Well Sir,
Recommending a smaller bike for your application is almost impossible. There are soooooo many choices when you say "smaller". Smaller by what, 100 cc's, 200, 300 what? I've got a 6'4" buddy that weighs right around 240 (same as me) and he's had Harleys and Africa Twins etc. Due to his health and knee conditions, he's downplayed to TWO, Honda Monkeys. One is a '19 and the other is a 2022. He loved the '19 and had a ball on it. But, since he's got the '22, he's REALLY HAPPY now. Honda added another gear, changed the oil filter location and tweaked the rear suspension.

I rode his '19 Monkey and I was flabbergasted as to the power that that 125cc fuel injected little motor has. We live in Lake Havasu AZ and our entire town is UPHILL. I jumped on that little, EXTRA COMFORTABLE bike and took off uphill and that little machine didn't even hesitate.

Anyway, again, there are a zillion choices out there for a run-a-round, all about fun bike. It all depends on your plans for what type of riding you're intending for it.
Scott

Reactions: ArthurY

·
Registered
'22 Goldwing DCT
219 Posts
Well Sir,
Recommending a smaller bike for your application is almost impossible. There are soooooo many choices when you say "smaller". Smaller by what, 100 cc's, 200, 300 what? I've got a 6'4" buddy that weighs right around 240 (same as me) and he's had Harleys and Africa Twins etc. Due to his health and knee conditions, he's downplayed to TWO, Honda Monkeys. One is a '19 and the other is a 2022. He loved the '19 and had a ball on it. But, since he's got the '22, he's REALLY HAPPY now. Honda added another gear, changed the oil filter location and tweaked the rear suspension.

I rode his '19 Monkey and I was flabbergasted as to the power that that 125cc fuel injected little motor has. We live in Lake Havasu AZ and our entire town is UPHILL. I jumped on that little, EXTRA COMFORTABLE bike and took off uphill and that little machine didn't even hesitate.

Anyway, again, there are a zillion choices out there for a run-a-round, all about fun bike. It all depends on your plans for what type of riding you're intending for it.
Scott
I guess I shouldn't hijack this thread. So, let's leave it as that. Thanks for responding.

·
Registered
129 Posts
I have been debating a bike that is lighter for one up riding...
also to be able to keep at work address in Fort Worth, TX
biggest problem is as a big rider (6'5" and 295 lbs) there are limited choices (even my 1800 would be nicer if it was a bit taller)

I keep reading about the Honda 800, and perhaps a FJR 1300... or a really nice ST1100 if one can be found
Will likely be going to a trike in the next year or two... torn between trying to find some kind of sport tour that I keep for one up vs. keeping my 1800 and knowing it will be heavy as my knees keep getting degraded.

thanks for the post
bryon
I've had my FJR1300 for 16 years now, and if I had to keep one, that or my '16 F6B, I used to say it would be the FJR. I had a Mega Monty installed in the B last month, so it's getting closer, but the FJR is a fun bike.

·
Registered
129 Posts
Invest 10-15% of your salary in low cost index funds and by the time you are 60 you'll have a million or so in your portfolio. I certainly didn't get wealthy on my civil service income.
Exactly. I got kicked out of the house three days after high school graduation, and have been hustling ever since.

·
Registered
129 Posts
I guess I shouldn't complain too much, the only debt I have is my GW. My house and cars are paid off, I have no CC debt, and I have a decent pension. I COULD afford more toys, but the wife absolutely hates it when I buy them, especially expensive ones like motorcycles. She prefers to spend money renovating the house, or on our grand kids, which is hard to argue with...
Then your issue isn't money, but who holds the purse strings. My wife and I have always had separate accounts; I don't complain about her shoe collection, and she doesn't complain about my vehicles.

·
Registered
1,127 Posts
Discussion Starter · #50 ·
I've had my FJR1300 for 16 years now, and if I had to keep one, that or my '16 F6B, I used to say it would be the FJR. I had a Mega Monty installed in the B last month, so it's getting closer, but the FJR is a fun bike.
My buddy has an FJR. He and I swapped bikes for about an hour...I couldn't wait to get off, while he didn't want to give me back my Wing...The FJR was very uncomfortable for me...it's definitely fast though...

·
Registered
1,127 Posts
Discussion Starter · #51 ·
Then your issue isn't money, but who holds the purse strings. My wife and I have always had separate accounts; I don't complain about her shoe collection, and she doesn't complain about my vehicles.
I hold the purse strings as all but a small fraction of the household income is generated by me, but life is a lot better if I can get her approval...you know what they say, happy wife happy life...

·
Registered
617 Posts
KLR 650 for me. 6 gallon fuel tank, 50+ mpg, very comfortable with an aftermarket seat. Will run 70+ mph all day long. Great on pavement and reasonable on dirt. If I see a dirt road and wonder where it goes, I go and find out. I take it with me camping in my Toy Hauler. I ride it everywhere and the truck sits at the campsite with the trailer. I put a GIVI top box on the rack and do all my running around town on it. It is not the fastest bike out there, but it can do just about anything you want to do on it.

Sky Tire Wheel Cloud Vehicle

·
Registered
129 Posts
My buddy has an FJR. He and I swapped bikes for about an hour...I couldn't wait to get off, while he didn't want to give me back my Wing...The FJR was very uncomfortable for me...it's definitely fast though...
It's like any bike, needs to be customized for the owner.

I hold the purse strings as all but a small fraction of the household income is generated by me, but life is a lot better if I can get her approval...you know what they say, happy wife happy life...
Different strokes, I don't need the wife's approval when I'm spending my money. I bought a new Corvette when the C6 first came out, and she used to laugh when her friends told her they couldn't believe she "let" me buy it. The next nickel she spends on my vehicles will be the first one.

·
Registered
2018 GL1800 6sp
432 Posts
If I had a garage I probably would have a 2nd motorcycle and it probably would be the Burgman 650. Just always wanted one of those. Alas I do not have a garage or a large enough place to store 2 or more motorcycles, so I'm content with the GW.

·
Registered
1,108 Posts

·
Registered
122 Posts
I have a bunch of smaller bikes. The Wing typically only gets ridden on two up rides.

See my signature below.

Reactions: GoingGrey

·
Registered
3 Posts
I'm curious to find out how many of you also own smaller, lighter, more nimble bikes that you ride when you don't feel like getting the Wing out. I've been getting the itch for something a bit more sporty that I can ride around the local area. I am really intrigued by the Honda VTR Super Hawk. I rode a couple of them on Saturday and the way this bike makes power makes it a pure joy to ride. It has power everywhere between idle and redline. It's V-twin sounds nice too. It's light, almost half the weight of a GW. They were produced from '97 to '05, and surprisingly, most parts are still fairly easy to find for them. I've been looking at them on FB marketplace and well maintained, mechanically sound examples can be found for $3-$4K. Those in this price range usually have some minor cosmetic flaws. Pristine ones can go for double that, but I think I'd rather have one that I can make cosmetic improvements to over a period of time. That would be kind of a fun project. My only gripe with them is the riding position. It puts too much of my upper body weight on my arms and hands. There are different kits for handlebars that are higher and more pulled back. If I can get the funding bill through congress, I may pull the trigger on one...it would look nice in my garage parked next to the Wing!
I'm curious to find out how many of you also own smaller, lighter, more nimble bikes that you ride when you don't feel like getting the Wing out. I've been getting the itch for something a bit more sporty that I can ride around the local area. I am really intrigued by the Honda VTR Super Hawk. I rode a couple of them on Saturday and the way this bike makes power makes it a pure joy to ride. It has power everywhere between idle and redline. It's V-twin sounds nice too. It's light, almost half the weight of a GW. They were produced from '97 to '05, and surprisingly, most parts are still fairly easy to find for them. I've been looking at them on FB marketplace and well maintained, mechanically sound examples can be found for $3-$4K. Those in this price range usually have some minor cosmetic flaws. Pristine ones can go for double that, but I think I'd rather have one that I can make cosmetic improvements to over a period of time. That would be kind of a fun project. My only gripe with them is the riding position. It puts too much of my upper body weight on my arms and hands. There are different kits for handlebars that are higher and more pulled back. If I can get the funding bill through congress, I may pull the trigger on one...it would look nice in my garage parked next to the Wing!
Tire Plant Wheel Fuel tank Automotive fuel system

Yes I do, 2006 Suzuki M109R, it's my Hotrod.

41 - 60 of 79 Posts