GL1800Riders Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of August's Ride of the Month Challenge!
61 - 79 of 79 Posts

·
Registered
1,864 Posts

·
Registered
1,864 Posts
View attachment 405772
Yes I do, 2006 Suzuki M109R, it's my Hotrod.
We used to have a 1500 Intruder, but not with all the bling you have. I can see some of the same lines even after the Intruders became Boulevards.

For the heck of it I show an old picture of it first and for the heck of it some pics of the boldest Intruder rider I have ever heard of.

Fuel tank Motorcycle Automotive fuel system Automotive lighting Automotive tire

Fuel tank Automotive fuel system Motorcycle Automotive tire Automotive lighting

Tire Wheel Fuel tank Automotive fuel system Vehicle

Tire Wheel Land vehicle Vehicle Fuel tank

·
Registered
210 Posts
My smaller bike is a Versys X 300 ABS. I affectionately call it “Dirt Ninja” because it has the Ninja 300 engine. Goes plenty fast, and only weighs 380 pounds. It is my curvey road rally bike. I usually trailer it to the Rally. I’m in Weat Virginia tonight hoping to ride tomorrow if the weather holds.

·
Registered
311 Posts
I had a 2006 Goldwing and she was great two-up, but was way too big for me by myself 99% of the time. Wife did love the backseat. But I wanted something smaller for all my riding without wifey. So I sold it and got an ST1300 that served me well for 13 years. When I found out they made the Goldwing smaller and had an electric windscreen, I had to check it out. It was smaller and it’s low center of gravity makes it ride even smaller and easier to maneuver. While the seat isn’t as big as the previous model, the wife still loves it. So I don’t have a smaller bike now in my stable, but feel as though I do…

·
Registered
3 Posts
I updated to the 2018 from the 2012 Because of the smaller size for a 5'10" Aussie.
For a lighter hack ride I love my CB1100 2014. Feels so light compared to the Wing. I ride both equally and it's so fun. I want to add the 500X or 750X to the hangar for the trails.

·
Registered
2015 Navi ABS
393 Posts
I don't know how so many of you can afford multiple bikes, and new, or newer ones at that. I'll be lucky if I get to spend $4K on a 20 year old bike...must be nice to be rich...
Often times the guy with the $4,000 20 year old bike is happier than the guy with the brand new one. No motorcycle debt, classic styling, and they both go the same places at the same speed. Appreciate what you have and live your best life.

Reactions: Oakseed

·
Registered
1,108 Posts
YES - 1983 GS850GL -
Completely DONE (the list is long)
Found it in Dubuque Iowa - all hacked up and in a box mostly -
it started and ran (kinda) leaking fuel and oil everywhere -
I rebuilt it from the base UP - no it runs perfectly -
(For Sale if anyone wants more details - PM me)

This is from this week --

Reactions: biggersm

·
Registered
7 Posts
My smaller bike is another Wing. 1000cc 4 cyclinder 78 Goldwing. Almost 1/2 the size and weight but can be twice the fun.
View attachment 405763
Nice ! Looks like it is in great shape. How many miles do you have on it ? I use to have a 84 1200 that was fun to ride but I definitely like the striped down version for riding around town, That is a really sweet bike!!! Is it hard to find parts for?

·
Registered
390 Posts
Nice ! Looks like it is in great shape. How many miles do you have on it ? I use to have a 84 1200 that was fun to ride but I definitely like the striped down version for riding around town, That is a really sweet bike!!! Is it hard to find parts for?
Thanks
It was my first Gold Wing. I bought it back in the mid 80s and have had 6 other Wings including my 2015 I also have now but only have around 40,000 miles on that 78. As for parts, I also have a complete 1979 that I save for hard to find parts but really have had no problem finding the few things I need.
For the last 7 or 8 years I still get it out at least once a month for a days ride and still enjoy every mile although it gets expensive due to the fuel I run in it. Last purchase was $85. for a 5 gallon can of Ethanol Free TruFuel, but I only use maybe 10 gal a year. It is worth the cost not to worry about gas/carb issues.

·
Registered
2018 Honda Goldwing Tour DCT Airbag
2,818 Posts
That's too much bike for me...besides, I don't have enough hair left to wear a man bun...
Over here in Lake Havasu AZ, there's a group of old dudes that buzz around town, all on GROMS! No man buns, beer guts allowed. It's a crack up to see this Gang of Grom Angels.
Scott

·
Registered
72 Posts
I'm curious to find out how many of you also own smaller, lighter, more nimble bikes that you ride when you don't feel like getting the Wing out. I've been getting the itch for something a bit more sporty that I can ride around the local area. I am really intrigued by the Honda VTR Super Hawk. I rode a couple of them on Saturday and the way this bike makes power makes it a pure joy to ride. It has power everywhere between idle and redline. It's V-twin sounds nice too. It's light, almost half the weight of a GW. They were produced from '97 to '05, and surprisingly, most parts are still fairly easy to find for them. I've been looking at them on FB marketplace and well maintained, mechanically sound examples can be found for $3-$4K. Those in this price range usually have some minor cosmetic flaws. Pristine ones can go for double that, but I think I'd rather have one that I can make cosmetic improvements to over a period of time. That would be kind of a fun project. My only gripe with them is the riding position. It puts too much of my upper body weight on my arms and hands. There are different kits for handlebars that are higher and more pulled back. If I can get the funding bill through congress, I may pull the trigger on one...it would look nice in my garage parked next to the Wing!

·
Registered
72 Posts
Second bike is Honda Rebel 1100 manual. It's a great contrast to the Wing. Love tooling around on it, running errands, backroads or even longer runs all one up on this is a blast. The Wing is more for the long hauling and two up comfort of course. Could dig a GROM or a mini moto or scoot , but right now they are very tough to find with the gas prices and all. Maybe someday will add a sub 300cc. Anyways, over the years I to like having another ride or 2 in the garage from time to time. Plant Tire Fuel tank Automotive fuel system Wheel

·
Registered
9 Posts
Often times the guy with the $4,000 20 year old bike is happier than the guy with the brand new one. No motorcycle debt, classic styling, and they both go the same places at the same speed. Appreciate what you have and live your best life.
Living that dream, with my 2003 Gold Wing!
Tire Plant Wheel Fuel tank Vehicle

·
Registered
2018 Honda Goldwing Tour DCT Airbag
2,818 Posts
Just a TW 200,it can be lots of fun also
Yeah,
I call my little T-dub my "Tractor bike". It's not the fastest thing around but it's a ton of fun. Mine is completely bone stock with the exception of the front and rear racks I fabricated up for it then I powder coated them myself.
Scott

Tire Wheel Plant Motorcycle Automotive tire

61 - 79 of 79 Posts