GL1800Riders Forums banner
1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
249 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm pondering how much grief I will have in attempting to remove my rear wheel. I'm the 2nd caretaker of a 2012 with "premium" audio package. I've read that bikes without the "upgraded" audio can have the rear wheel removed while on the center stand. The amp makes the standard removal a PITA or so I'm to understand. I would prefer not to make the GL take a nap unless I have no other choice.
What I'm looking to find out is the minimum distance the rear wheel needs to be off the ground to do the wiggle thing getting the tire around the amp and off the bike.
Yes, he has an idea.... but it all depends on that clearance, Clarence. I don't need the vector, Victor. Surely I'm serious and don't call me Shirley.

TNX
Michael

·
Registered
1,207 Posts
I'm pondering how much grief I will have in attempting to remove my rear wheel. I'm the 2nd caretaker of a 2012 with "premium" audio package. I've read that bikes without the "upgraded" audio can have the rear wheel removed while on the center stand. The amp makes the standard removal a PITA or so I'm to understand. I would prefer not to make the GL take a nap unless I have no other choice.
What I'm looking to find out is the minimum distance the rear wheel needs to be off the ground to do the wiggle thing getting the tire around the amp and off the bike.
Yes, he has an idea.... but it all depends on that clearance, Clarence. I don't need the vector, Victor. Surely I'm serious and don't call me Shirley.

TNX
Michael
Dear Shirley haha,
I have an '08 Airbag which of course has the premium audio/amp and therefore the same clearance issue. I don't have the exact answer of how much height your bike would to have to drop the rear wheel out, but it is a lot. You will need a bike stand that allows the rear wheel to hang off the back and be high enough for the removed wheel to clear the muffler. After reading in the service manual what it takes to remove the rear fender cover, fender, and amp, I have chosen to always use the "nap mode" you refer to. I loosen the lug nuts, lay down a moving blanket, gently lower her down, and remove the wheel. My task is more difficult because I run 70 series tire. Removal is made easier by deflating the tire and spraying a plastic trash bag with WD-40 and placing it between the tire and the places it rubs against. Removal of the left muffler also makes wheel removal and installation easier and is not difficult. A 60 series tire is much easier to manage. I'm not saying this method is better or more time-efficient than what you are considering, just explaining what is required and how to do it. I might try the fender removal next tire change just to test whether my beliefs are still valid. Let us know how it goes if you try it.

·
Registered
3,258 Posts
If you plan to keep the motorcycle, might as well get a decent jack. Pitbull or J&S are good. I would never lay my motorcycle on it's side. I like my Pitbull jack.
Working on my dad's old GL1200 and removing rear fenders ect to remove the wheel was memory enough that I bought the jack right away and one purchase that I am glad I did.

·
IronMan
19,358 Posts
PLENTY VIDEOS ON LAYING HER OVER ON RITE SIDE 10 MINUTE JOB !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! MAKE SURE GAS IS ONLY 1/2 FULL

·
Registered
1,207 Posts
If you plan to keep the motorcycle, might as well get a decent jack. Pitbull or J&S are good. I would never lay my motorcycle on it's side. I like my Pitbull jack.
Working on my dad's old GL1200 and removing rear fenders ect to remove the wheel was memory enough that I bought the jack right away and one purchase that I am glad I did.
Agree it would be great to have one of these jacks but unfortunately don't have enough storage space for it. Thus, have to give her a nap.

·
Registered
8,424 Posts
laying down (nap) is easy IF you don't have the highway pegs that connect to the crash bars.. If yea lived clos'rrr to me I let you borrow my lift, to change that tire...........(and I'd even help you)
(Actually I'm a big snow skier, and I see your from Colorado, ....I'm jealous!)
Ronnie
Massachusetts
4/18/22

·
Registered
249 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Agree it would be great to have one of these jacks but unfortunately don't have enough storage space for it. Thus, have to give her a nap.
My garage is 22' long and just under 12' wide. It holds the GL and a 2014 CTX along with way too much other crap. I too dont have the storage space for a jack, that's the reason for the original question.

·
Registered
1,207 Posts
laying down (nap) is easy IF you don't have the highway pegs that connect to the crash bars.. If yea lived clos'rrr to me I let you borrow my lift, to change that tire...........(and I'd even help you)
(Actually I'm a big snow skier, and I see your from Colorado, ....I'm jealous!)
Ronnie
Massachusetts
4/18/22
You're a generous soul Ronnie. I would love to have one of those jacks and just drop the wheel out. Can't have everything and wouldn't want to. Have been thinning the herd and getting down to a more manageable # of bikes and stuff and it is liberating. Less is more, for me anyway.

·
Registered
4,061 Posts
I use a wheel chock on the front wheel that allows me to strap the front end down. Then a scissors jack under the center stand. Lifting the scissors jack will raise the rear of the bike far enough to remove the wheel.
Tire Wheel Automotive tire Vehicle Car

·
Registered
1,207 Posts
I use a wheel chock on the front wheel that allows me to strap the front end down. Then a scissors jack under the center stand. Lifting the scissors jack will raise the rear of the bike far enough to remove the wheel.
View attachment 399587
Interesting. I've got a Condor wheel chock I install in my trailer when we take the GL on a trip along with the dirt bike(s). 99% of the time it sits in the garage. That would be super-stable. I have a low-profile floor jack that I use underneath my belly pan to raise the GL front wheel when removing it. What do you put between your scissor jack and your GL to make it stable and not tippy when you jack it up? Any pics would be great. Thx!

·
Registered
1,674 Posts
I have a 2006 Premium Audio and it’s not onerous to remove the fender and remove the amp from it's container and move it to the side. It adds a few minutes at most and this isn’t something I’m doing very often anyway. The rear wheel rolls right out and back in.

·
Registered
2,362 Posts
I believe the shop manual shows unplugging the amp from under the trunk but that shouldn’t be necessary. Unbolt it and tie it out of the way. I have a jack for quads. It is only about 6” high and will roll under things for storage. Just the handle sticks out.

·
Registered
4,061 Posts
Interesting. I've got a Condor wheel chock I install in my trailer when we take the GL on a trip along with the dirt bike(s). 99% of the time it sits in the garage. That would be super-stable. I have a low-profile floor jack that I use underneath my belly pan to raise the GL front wheel when removing it. What do you put between your scissor jack and your GL to make it stable and not tippy when you jack it up? Any pics would be great. Thx!
The center stand is in the upright position and the jack is put under the pivot on the stand. I had a U shaped plate welded to the top of the jack. When the front wheel is tied down on the chock, it is very stable. I only tighten the tie downs enough to keep the bike stable. The front shock will compress slightly as you raise the rear end.
I loosed the lug nuts while the wheel in on the ground and then, remove the lug nuts and move the wheel to the side.
Lift the bike and the wheel stays on the ground. Putting the wheel back on is just the reverse process. position the wheel under the bike and lower the bike. Takes a little practice to get the wheel out from underneath.
One great thing about doing it this way is when you have to take the wheel in for a tire change. It sits upright on the jack. You don't have to drain the tank or worry about any other fluids running out.
Motor vehicle Automotive tire Automotive exterior Bumper Rim

Tire Wheel Automotive tire Vehicle Car

·
Registered
1,207 Posts
The center stand is in the upright position and the jack is put under the pivot on the stand. I had a U shaped plate welded to the top of the jack. When the front wheel is tied down on the chock, it is very stable. I only tighten the tie downs enough to keep the bike stable. The front shock will compress slightly as you raise the rear end.
I loosed the lug nuts while the wheel in on the ground and then, remove the lug nuts and move the wheel to the side.
Lift the bike and the wheel stays on the ground. Putting the wheel back on is just the reverse process. position the wheel under the bike and lower the bike. Takes a little practice to get the wheel out from underneath.
One great thing about doing it this way is when you have to take the wheel in for a tire change. It sits upright on the jack. You don't have to drain the tank or worry about any other fluids running out.
View attachment 399597
View attachment 399600
Clever and well-done. Thank you.

·
Registered
4,061 Posts
Clever and well-done. Thank you.
You can get an inexpensive wheel chock from Harbor Freight and some D rings mounted to the floor about 18 inches on either side and put them towards the front of the wheel.
I can actually push the bike side to side and it is very stable.

·
Registered
2021 6 speed Wing, 2021 Kawasaki Z900RS, 2019 Road Glide
2,540 Posts
I was able to jack the bike up with a Craftsman bike jack and take the rear wheel off. It took a bit of finessing once the wheel was on the floor, but it was fairly easy.

Reactions: Sladep

·
Registered
1,036 Posts
Hmmmm, if you have a trailer then mount the Condor on it with the trailer adapter in the normal position or.... if the trailer is wooden decked you could screw the chock down and make sure it is positioned so the rear tire is still on the dove tail so you don't have to jack it so high. You possibly could even leave the rear tire on the ramp and then jack it up an inch then remove the ramp so the tire drops right out. Or find someone near you with a lift!
Just thoughts.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,207 Posts
You can get an inexpensive wheel chock from Harbor Freight and some D rings mounted to the floor about 18 inches on either side and put them towards the front of the wheel.
I can actually push the bike side to side and it is very stable.
Just got home and had a look under my GL, based on your idea and pic. The center stand has two tubes that are vertical when in use and parallel to the bike's direction of travel when the stand is up. I can use a section of 2"x4" under those tubes, perpendicular to the length of the bike, as the base for my floor jack to make contact with. The floor jack's head is about 4" in diameter. With my Condor wheel chock's mechanism that basically locks it in place after it has been rolled in, and the expected stability of this 2"x4" and floor jack, I think it will work great. Thanks for your idea!

1 - 20 of 46 Posts