GL1800Riders Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of August's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

Registered
Also the GL1800 base model was "Premimum Audio" starting in 2006. So a GL1800 without the amp, you'd be looking a 2001-2005.

You would have to lift the wing at least a few feet in the air, to get the wheel and tire out the left side under the muffler. I wouldn't recommend that. If you have to go this route, record it and post the results. 馃榾

The lay down method works great. Also I have drop outs on my bike lift, that works great also.

Registered
I have to take the wheels to a shop to get done. I cant leave the beast laying on the lawn for days... so it's a lift or the whole bike goes to the shop for more $$$... They dont call it GOLDwing for nuttin!
I can see that. I take my wheels into the shop, to have tires mounted also. I have a extra set of wheels though. Nice to have the extra set of wheels with new rubber, just in case I have to go on a trip. :)

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

Registered
When the bike is raised like in my picture, you can slide the bottom of the tire to the right and it will come right out. You can see the clean marks on the muffler where the tire slid out.
It'sw a lot easier then trying to manhandle the tire while the bike is laying down. Plus very little chance of scraping the wheel on the lug studs.
I've done it numerous times on my 2004 and 2012.
Nicely done. Well thought out. Even no pics of you pinned under it. 馃榾

I do like the laydown method, requires nothing. No wheel chock, straps, scissor jack, fabbed up adapter for the centerstand, etc. But, I totally understand not wanting the bike on it's side forever waiting for the dealer to mount tires. Your way is a good way of getting around that.

I never pulled it out the back, with the rear fender removed. I may do it once just to say I done it.

I use my lift with the drop outs now, little bit of a learning curve, but it's easy now.(y) Wish I had my lift 20 years ago.

Registered
FWIW, I've left my bike on its side for as long as two days without any issues.
I'm not afaid of it laying on it's side. The bike can lay on it's side forever. I don't think it'd hurt anything.

My issue is I own a town home with a single car garage. So, if I lay it down it's outside on the sidewalk. I don't wanna do that here for days, and have it turn into a jungle gym.

Reactions: Sladep

Registered
Mine can stay on the jack in my shed for days or weeks in the upright position. Plus I can give it a good cleaning and do other maintenance. . The shed is only 8 feet wide and room to spare all the way around. The lay down method is great if there is no alternative. I have that option.
Now, I need a shed too?! :p

I was trying to say, I understand someone NOT willing to leave the bike for a length of time on its side, do to space restraints and such.

As I said in prior posts, I don't have any need to leave the bike on its side for ANY length of time. I have a lift, and a spare set of wheels.

Sorry for the confusion.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts