GL1800Riders Forums banner
21 - 40 of 46 Posts

Registered
Also the GL1800 base model was "Premimum Audio" starting in 2006. So a GL1800 without the amp, you'd be looking a 2001-2005.

You would have to lift the wing at least a few feet in the air, to get the wheel and tire out the left side under the muffler. I wouldn't recommend that. If you have to go this route, record it and post the results. 馃榾

The lay down method works great. Also I have drop outs on my bike lift, that works great also.

Registered
Just got home and had a look under my GL, based on your idea and pic. The center stand has two tubes that are vertical when in use and parallel to the bike's direction of travel when the stand is up. I can use a section of 2"x4" under those tubes, perpendicular to the length of the bike, as the base for my floor jack to make contact with. The floor jack's head is about 4" in diameter. With my Condor wheel chock's mechanism that basically locks it in place after it has been rolled in, and the expected stability of this 2"x4" and floor jack, I think it will work great. Thanks for your idea!
The only problem I see there is that with the centerstand when in the up position. the one horizontal bar contacts a rubber bumper of the exhaust system. If you want to use the 2x4 on the jack saddle, just hollow out a U shape on the 2x4 and contact only the bar that pivots.
Another thing about the scissors jack is you have total control over raising and especially lowering the bike. Harder to lower it slowly with a hydraulic jack.

Registered
So..... how far off the floor is far enough he asked.... 6, 8, 12".....??
With my setup, you can lift the rear of the bike over 18 inches high. The picture shows the wheel on the ground and it is still not jacked up the entire way.
You can tip the tire out since it's now clearing the final drive.
Plus, you do not have to lift the tire over the final drive as you do with the tip over method.
Putting the wheel back on is also very easy. Get it in position and lower the bike.

PS: the electric motor in the background is used to lift and lower the jack.
Tire Wheel Automotive tire Vehicle Car

Registered
The only problem I see there is that with the centerstand when in the up position. the one horizontal bar contacts a rubber bumper of the exhaust system. If you want to use the 2x4 on the jack saddle, just hollow out a U shape on the 2x4 and contact only the bar that pivots.
Another thing about the scissors jack is you have total control over raising and especially lowering the bike. Harder to lower it slowly with a hydraulic jack.
Those are all real good points. I did not take a close look at the centerstand as the bike was back in the corner but am glad you mentioned the bumper/muffler contact. I'll rout out that u-shape for the pivoting bar to fit in. I think with the front wheel being gripped very tightly by the Condor, I can control the hydraulic jack coming down slowly and in a controlled manner.

Registered
Those are all real good points. I did not take a close look at the centerstand as the bike was back in the corner but am glad you mentioned the bumper/muffler contact. I'll rout out that u-shape for the pivoting bar to fit in. I think with the front wheel being gripped very tightly by the Condor, I can control the hydraulic jack coming down slowly and in a controlled manner.
Glad I could help. I've been using my setup since I had my 85 Wing. Just make sure you use tie downs on the front. If you know someone that does welding, he may be able to make a nice steel adapter for you.
Better safe than sorry.

Registered
I went to a friends house to pick up his wheels for new tire fitment once, and saw his 1800 sitting on the center stand with no wheels on it. Just a 11/2 ton floor jack under it. I asked how he got the wheels off. He said he took the front one off first, then with a chain between the centerstand and front frame of the bike, he lowered the jack all the way down, and took the back wheel off. I believe you need 18鈥 of lift for clearance unless you move the exhaust. Then I think it鈥檚 maybe 14鈥? Something like that.

Registered
If you look at my picture, the rear of bike is very close to 14 inches off the ground. I think I just slid the bottom of the wheel to the right and down. Of course I may have taken this after I started to lower the bike. That was three years ago.

I also have a Bushtec hitch installed and no problem with clearances.

Another view:
Tire Wheel Automotive tire Vehicle Motor vehicle

Registered
Discussion Starter · #29 ·
I had the opportunity to buy a yellow craftsman hydraulic lift and grabbed it. :) It's slim profile allows it to hang on the wall... It came from a Harley owner that lost his ride due to an accident that solved his need for two wheels.
Automotive tire Motor vehicle Vehicle Bumper Road surface

Registered
I had the opportunity to buy a yellow craftsman hydraulic lift and grabbed it. :) It's slim profile allows it to hang on the wall... It came from a Harley owner that lost his ride due to an accident that solved his need for two wheels.
View attachment 399741
Make sure you secure the bike somehow. When you remove the rear wheel the bike may be front heavy and start to tip forward.

Registered
I bought a jack and used it a few times. I still have the jack but now lay it bike over if that tells you anything.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #33 ·
I have to take the wheels to a shop to get done. I cant leave the beast laying on the lawn for days... so it's a lift or the whole bike goes to the shop for more $$$... They dont call it GOLDwing for nuttin!

Registered
I have to take the wheels to a shop to get done. I cant leave the beast laying on the lawn for days... so it's a lift or the whole bike goes to the shop for more $$$... They dont call it GOLDwing for nuttin!
I can see that. I take my wheels into the shop, to have tires mounted also. I have a extra set of wheels though. Nice to have the extra set of wheels with new rubber, just in case I have to go on a trip. :)

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

Registered
Also the GL1800 base model was "Premimum Audio" starting in 2006. So a GL1800 without the amp, you'd be looking a 2001-2005.

You would have to lift the wing at least a few feet in the air, to get the wheel and tire out the left side under the muffler. I wouldn't recommend that. If you have to go this route, record it and post the results. 馃榾

The lay down method works great. Also I have drop outs on my bike lift, that works great also.
When the bike is raised like in my picture, you can slide the bottom of the tire to the right and it will come right out. You can see the clean marks on the muffler where the tire slid out.
It'sw a lot easier then trying to manhandle the tire while the bike is laying down. Plus very little chance of scraping the wheel on the lug studs.
I've done it numerous times on my 2004 and 2012.

Registered
Here's my 2012 Goldwing in the "Position" to remove and replace the rear wheel.

Lay it over on its side. Done this more times than I can count. I even have a RIVCO Hitch on the bike and that doesn't make a difference.

Here's a YouTube Video of how to do this:

Wheel Tire Plant Vehicle Automotive lighting
Tire Wheel Automotive tail & brake light Vehicle Automotive lighting
Tire Wheel Automotive fuel system Fuel tank Automotive tail & brake light
Tire Wheel Automotive tire Locking hubs Tread
Tire Wheel Fuel tank Plant Vehicle

Reactions: DaveFromDenver

Registered
When the bike is raised like in my picture, you can slide the bottom of the tire to the right and it will come right out. You can see the clean marks on the muffler where the tire slid out.
It'sw a lot easier then trying to manhandle the tire while the bike is laying down. Plus very little chance of scraping the wheel on the lug studs.
I've done it numerous times on my 2004 and 2012.
Nicely done. Well thought out. Even no pics of you pinned under it. 馃榾

I do like the laydown method, requires nothing. No wheel chock, straps, scissor jack, fabbed up adapter for the centerstand, etc. But, I totally understand not wanting the bike on it's side forever waiting for the dealer to mount tires. Your way is a good way of getting around that.

I never pulled it out the back, with the rear fender removed. I may do it once just to say I done it.

I use my lift with the drop outs now, little bit of a learning curve, but it's easy now.(y) Wish I had my lift 20 years ago.

Registered
FWIW, I've left my bike on its side for as long as two days without any issues.
I'm not afaid of it laying on it's side. The bike can lay on it's side forever. I don't think it'd hurt anything.

My issue is I own a town home with a single car garage. So, if I lay it down it's outside on the sidewalk. I don't wanna do that here for days, and have it turn into a jungle gym.

Reactions: Sladep

Registered
I'm not afaid of it laying on it's side. The bike can lay on it's side forever. I don't think it'd hurt anything.

My issue is I own a town home with a single car garage. So, if I lay it down it's outside on the sidewalk. I don't wanna do that here for days, and have it turn into a jungle gym.
Mine can stay on the jack in my shed for days or weeks in the upright position. Plus I can give it a good cleaning and do other maintenance. . The shed is only 8 feet wide and room to spare all the way around. The lay down method is great if there is no alternative. I have that option.

21 - 40 of 46 Posts