GL1800Riders Forums banner
41 - 46 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
3,066 Posts
Mine can stay on the jack in my shed for days or weeks in the upright position. Plus I can give it a good cleaning and do other maintenance. . The shed is only 8 feet wide and room to spare all the way around. The lay down method is great if there is no alternative. I have that option.
Now, I need a shed too?! :p

I was trying to say, I understand someone NOT willing to leave the bike for a length of time on its side, do to space restraints and such.

As I said in prior posts, I don't have any need to leave the bike on its side for ANY length of time. I have a lift, and a spare set of wheels.

Sorry for the confusion.

·
Registered
1,207 Posts
Mine can stay on the jack in my shed for days or weeks in the upright position. Plus I can give it a good cleaning and do other maintenance. . The shed is only 8 feet wide and room to spare all the way around. The lay down method is great if there is no alternative. I have that option.
cihilb, based on your helpful ideas and pics, and some stuff I found poking around in another part of the house I forgot we had some stuff in, I've figured out how to make it work in my space, using the materials I already have.
1) Garage has a significant slope so will point my front end in the uphill direction.
2) Will use my Condor wheel chock for my trailer to hold the front wheel. It locks the whole bike down like a vice, so no concerns there.
3) Will place a 2"x10"x3' board I have under it to raise it higher. Will place another 2"x10"x3' board under the rear wheel as well. I knew keeping thise boards was going to come in handy some day! This gets the whole bike 2" higher right off the bat.
4) Will place my floor jack with about 15" lift and a big 5" diameter lifting plate, under the centerstand crossbar you pointed out, on two of the 2"x10" boards to raise it to be as close to the lift point as possible. Jack it up, remove the board under the rear wheel, giving an extra 2" clearance above what I would have had w/o the board.
5) Drop the wheel out, get the tire mounted, re-install.

This whole process will be a lot easier b/c I run a 70-series rear tire that makes it difficult to remove and install the wheel into the wheel well when the bike is laid over, esp. w/o removing the left muffler.

It will be a while before I do this as my rear has lots of tread remaining, but will post pics to possibly help someone else, as yours helped me.

·
Registered
857 Posts
I change both tires at the same time.
Place bike on center stand, ratchet strap the stand to front engine guard (So it can't roll forward!)
A sissor jack under front of engine to just lift the front wheel off the ground and inch!!

If you have an AMP?
Relocate the radio amp into the bottom of the Trunk. (where the CD player would reside)
Once it's out of the way (Honda should of put it there!!)
You can roll the wheel out the back.
If you have a hitch (You'll remove the center section)

I have a hitch and never jack up my bike when I need either tire changed!!

If you use a bike jack?? Place automotive jack stands under each bag guard.
To stabilize the bike so IT CAN"T Fall over. (Before you lift the front wheel an Inch off the ground with a scissor jack.)

It's not rocket science here guys.

This type of scissor jack acts as a tri-pod with the rear jack stands. (You can leave the bike up in the air forever with this set up.)

They are all over Ebay.

Rectangle Gas Metal Machine Tool

·
Registered
1,207 Posts
I change both tires at the same time.
Place bike on center stand, ratchet strap the stand to front engine guard (So it can't roll forward!)
A sissor jack under front of engine to just lift the front wheel off the ground and inch!!

If you have an AMP?
Relocate the radio amp into the bottom of the Trunk. (where the CD player would reside)
Once it's out of the way (Honda should of put it there!!)
You can roll the wheel out the back.
If you have a hitch (You'll remove the center section)

I have a hitch and never jack up my bike when I need either tire changed!!

If you use a bike jack?? Place automotive jack stands under each bag guard.
To stabilize the bike so IT CAN"T Fall over. (Before you lift the front wheel an Inch off the ground with a scissor jack.)

It's not rocket science here guys.

This type of scissor jack acts as a tri-pod with the rear jack stands. (You can leave the bike up in the air forever with this set up.)

They are all over Ebay.

View attachment 399994
All good ideas. I use my jack stands under the front crash bars for stability and security when lifting under the engine with a floor jack to remove the front wheel. Will do this when using the method I described in my previous post. Can't get any more stable than that. Thx

·
Registered
1,501 Posts
I have to take the wheels to a shop to get done. I cant leave the beast laying on the lawn for days... so it's a lift or the whole bike goes to the shop for more $$$... They dont call it GOLDwing for nuttin!
Arrange with the shop to change your tyre while you wait. Ride to the shop, lay your bike over on the forecourt and remove the wheel - 5 minutes - get the tyre changed and refit the wheel. Lift the bike and ride off. You'll be the hero of the day a the tyre shop! :D

On my Indian I do need to lift the bike but rather than having it precariously balanced on a lift I hang it from the garage roof beam. Lift it as high as you need, it can't fall over.

Attachments

·
Registered
209 Posts
I have a 2015 and have removed my tire while on the center stand several times. It is tricky, more so because I have a trailer hitch. What you need to do is remove the center part of the rear fender. 4 screws, then there is a cross bar you removed, two bolts, and then remove the mounting bolts for the wheel and drop it down and pull it out the rear.

41 - 46 of 46 Posts