GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
507 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm preparing to do a coolant change and I've got a UView vacuum system to refill the system. This means that I must have adequate coolant in a single container to completely fill the system before I start since it will be drawn in under vacuum all at once. I bought 4 qts of Honda coolant but the service manual shows the capacity of the system as 4.07 qts. Does this include the overflow bottle or should I buy another quart so that I have 5 qts to draw from?

·
Registered
176 Posts
When you drain the coolant, you won't get every ounce of it out. I bought a gallon of 50/50 premix and filled the system by pouring it in, allowing air to bubble out along the way. I also put some in the overflow tank. I did not use the whole gallon.

·
Registered
11,183 Posts
I didn't use a whole gallon either, but then again, I didn't use a UView.

FWIW, the radiators and engine together hold 3.73 quarts; the reserve tank holds 0.69 quarts.

·
Vendor
18,120 Posts
Usually a simple drain and fill will take either just under or just over 4 qts so always have 5 on hand. With your method, it will probably take more then 4. Yes, that includes filling an empty resevior after it was removed and cleaned.

·
Registered
4,115 Posts
Buy the extra coolant. The last thing you want is to get so low in your container as to introduce air into the system. Better to have a "safety" margin with the extra coolant so that the syphon tube is without question completely submerged the entire time. Also remember that the tubing of the Uview takes some capacity (although small).

Just save yourself the headache and buy an extra gallon.

I'm preparing to do a coolant change and I've got a UView vacuum system to refill the system. This means that I must have adequate coolant in a single container to completely fill the system before I start since it will be drawn in under vacuum all at once. I bought 4 qts of Honda coolant but the service manual shows the capacity of the system as 4.07 qts. Does this include the overflow bottle or should I buy another quart so that I have 5 qts to draw from?

·
Registered
2,270 Posts
Dip your finger in the new coolant to the first knucle, shake off the excess. Thats your 7/100th of an oz of coolant

·
Registered
694 Posts
H20

Not being cheap or anything but for .07 can't make up the difference in the 50-50 with water making it 49.14-50.86. More likely you never that that last .07 out of the system and hoses.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts