1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
301 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
...to feed a mouse?

Well friends and neighbors, I happen to have an exact figure:

$3,971.37

That's the insurance settlement for replacing the antennae array (GPS, AM/FM, BT 1, 2, etc) and the master wiring harness on a 2018+ Goldwing.

Fortunately I have vanishing deductible, so none of it came out of my pocket.

I thought I would post this as a sort of public service notice for those who (like me) don't have a hermetically sealed motorcycle storage facility and have to do hand-to-hand combat with rodent incursions.

I had the bike at my dealer for an oil change and made a spur of the moment decision to add a Utopia backrest while it was in the service bay. When they removed the seat to install the backrest (I never had any cause to remove it in the last year plus) they found a mouse nest at the rear in a cavity under the pillion area. When they removed the nest they saw the shielded antenna leads had either been chewed off outright, or the outer insulation stripped away.

Not content with attacking the Cadillac features, the mouse/mice had begun to nibble on a major wiring harness plug.

The antennae and leads can be purchased separately ($512 +/-). The harness cost is $2000. Plus labor. Considerable labor.:surprise:

You may well ask: "Why didn't you notice any loss of function?" Fair enough. The gps was still functional, I never have any use for telephone or bluetooth functions, and the only music I listen to is on my usb memory stick. None of the operational functions (lights, signals, ignition, etc) were affected.

After the discovery (and before the repair was completed) I packed the underside of the seat with dryer sheets, baited the barn area with two different kinds of rodent pellets, glue traps and mothball packets. When those measures were complete (admittedly well after the horse had left the barn:crying:) I briefly considered posting a skull and crossbones placard with the annotation: "Abandon hope all ye who enter here".

Today I removed the seat refreshed the dryer sheets and installed 4 packets of a botanical rodent repellent in various nooks and crannies.

In 14 years of parking bikes in that machine shed, I have never had one assaulted so viciously. I've always used rodent repellents and dryer sheets and they've always been effective. Now I will be more alert to the escalation of conflict...:mad:

So for those of you who have 2018+ and park in rodent vulnerable conditions, I would offer the suggestion to get proficient at removing the seat and periodically check to ensure the only passengers you carry are on the pillion, not below it:wink2:

·
Registered
1,159 Posts
:surprise:

·
Registered
1,233 Posts
WOW!! Best check your air cleaner if you have not done so already, that is their most favorite entree!!!

Check Youtube for MANY ways to make traps to get dem little sob's. What a thing to wake up to!!!

VERY good!!!! that you have insurance!!

·
Registered
8,063 Posts
Since you baited the shed have you killed any visitors?

·
Registered
998 Posts
I just use old fashioned Victor mouse traps in the garage around the perimeter. Funny thing is, the more they smell like dead mice the better they work!

·
Registered
4,457 Posts
Get “rodent tape “ for the wiring

·
Vendor
17,833 Posts
So for those of you who have 2018+ and park in rodent vulnerable conditions, I would offer the suggestion to get proficient at removing the seat and periodically check to ensure the only passengers you carry are on the pillion, not below it:wink2:
Have you considered getting a She Sheer She Shed ???

·
Registered
19,262 Posts
Wow that was unfortunate

·
Registered
412 Posts
Took my car to repair shop a few years back, tech was working on a guys truck that had severe mouse damage to some wiring. He said it is because they make the wire insulation out of soy bean oil, the mice love it, tastes like food, great idea engineers, I hope it happens to them some time.
Don't know which I despise more, lawyers or engineers.

·
Registered
1,922 Posts
Palm Oil based plastics.
Smells good.
Tastes good
And its nutritional.

What are they thinking.
Here is my bill, NZ$.

Salvage 340.00
1 RH Upper Radiator Hose 13.70
1 Riders Seat 1350.50
1 LH Pillion Seat Grab Handle 126.50
Front Wiring Sub Harness 560.30
Main Wiring Harness 3951.50
Top Radiator Cover Panel 90.60
Grommet Cover 9.20
4lt Coolant (Silicate Free) 90.00
Sundries 24.00
Labor 4050.00

TOTAL (GST Incl) 10606.30 NZ about $6,700 US

·
Registered
687 Posts
Took my car to repair shop a few years back, tech was working on a guys truck that had severe mouse damage to some wiring. He said it is because they make the wire insulation out of soy bean oil, the mice love it, tastes like food, great idea engineers, I hope it happens to them some time.
Don't know which I despise more, lawyers or engineers.
Lawyers.....:grin2:

·
Registered
412 Posts
Know the difference between a dead skunk in the road and a dead lawyer in the road.......... you swerve around the skunk. :grin2:

·
Vendor
22,071 Posts
You should blame the bean counters, not the engineers.

"The introduction of soy-based wire insulation was meant to have a twofold benefit: It was less expensive for automakers and, because it used soy instead of oil, it was better for the environment."

https://www.caranddriver.com/news/a21933466/does-your-car-have-wiring-that-rodents-think-is-tasty/

There is some real good advice on how to prevent rodents from getting into your vehicles here: https://www.howtopreventratsfromeatingcarwires.com/

·
Registered
145 Posts
I had a serious mice infestation in my barn one winter. several years ago.. tried all kinds of traps, poison, moth balls, sprays, etc. I could not keep up with the population explosion. Sometimes I would gather 8-10 dead ones a day - FOR REAL! It was unbelievable. Finally got me a barn cat. He's not feral, but he's not a house cat or pet. I don't feed him regularly in order to encourage and keep him actively hunting. The **** thing even killed a rabbit bigger than he was once right before my eyes. The mice used to come in every year when the farmers started harvesting and it got cooler. I haven't seen a mouse since and it's been several years. I have to feed him more often now to keep him around, but I think the scent of the cat in the barn (100 x 50) goes a looong way to keeping the mice out. The only damage the mice did (other than freak out the wife) was chewed up a small wiring harness on one of the Honda Foreman ATVs.

·
Registered
128 Posts
I had this happen some years ago...to a Honda 500 Ascot (I told you it was some years ago...). Stupid critters nested under the seat, wrapped into the wiring harness and chewed. Took the seat off and there was the nest...complete with 7 just-born babies. I put the nest out in a field...as the mother jumped off my bike about 3 miles away...

·
Registered
343 Posts
Aloha,

I've had good luck with moth balls in an open container on the front fender and on passenger seat with a full cover over the bike.

·
Registered
16,987 Posts
I keep mouse cakes in the back of my tool boxes where pets can not reach. Works well, but I need to refresh because this is the time of year the rodents begin to invade our sheltered areas.

prs

1 - 20 of 23 Posts