GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
605 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just paid for my 8k mile service on my goldwing tour dct at local Honda dealership. I went ahead and switched to the fully synthetic oil recommended by Honda. Total=$481.00! Charged 3.5 hours labor at $99 per hour. Did I get screwed or is this similar to what others have paid? 2018 goldwing tour dct.

·
Banned
435 Posts
A normal service would be an engine oil/filter change, DCT filter change, and drain the crankcase breather.

I can't imagine more than 1 hour labor, including taking your time, polishing all your tools, and drinking a few beers.

Did they do more than those services I listed? Unless they did something else, I'd say you paid way too much.

·
Registered
179 Posts
If I recall correctly that is not to far off of from my 8k service cost. My dealer offered a 3 year service plan when I purchased my wing, I have made good use of it.

·
Registered
171 Posts
My issue would not be so much the cost for the 8K service as the likelihood they would do it incorrectly.

My dealer already underfilled the final drive and the oil and set the tire pressures wrong. I am not interested in paying someone $500 to screw up my motorcycle when I could do the job correctly in about an hour myself.

·
Registered
5,019 Posts
There is a pretty long list of things to check on the 8k service. If they did all that I would say it isn't too bad.
That looks like a lot of I's and very little R's on that list. I am glad I do my own wrenching. The full synthetic oil change was probably well over $100...

Is Honda recommending full synthetic on the 18?

·
Registered
605 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
They have what they call a red badge? service tech for the 2018 wings. They say that means he went to special training class for it, so I took his word for it when he recommended the synthetic. He said at 8k miles would be ok to start with it. I used it in my Valkyrie and it really smoothed out that clunkyness of the valk. Also, that list showing what is supposed to be done looks like the list he gave me of completed items, so it was long. Also, he told me it calls for a new air filter at 12k and it would be a good bit more. Geesh!

·
Registered
3,105 Posts
Do your own work. I would bet they did very little of the checks on the list. They checked fuel lines ect at 8,000 miles? Sure they did, bulony. I agree with the previous post which said basically getting ripped off is bad enough, but on top of that you can almost bet several things are stripped/hooked wrong/routed wrong/not tightened ect,ect.
Only time I would ever go to a dealer is warranty repairs.

·
Registered
506 Posts
I would say you got screwed but as you took the bike to the dealer for service, getting screwed is normal. Mine ran me about 60 dollars (using synthetic) but I do my own. You might try finding another owner in your area that works on their own bike that knows what they are doing and see if they can help you out.

Reactions: Kenichi

·
Registered
930 Posts
I did my 8k service and a lot of things like fuel lines, cooling system, brake system, the way I checked those is first, I believed nothing was leaking, and I did not have any problems with them while riding, but I made a thorough inspection with a flashlight all around the engine, up, down, top, and bottom to check for any signs of anything leaking. I did not check every fitting on every hose. I of course checked all the fluid levels and all the brake pad wear, including the parking brake.
I also removed the front brake lever and greased the screw pivot there. That is one thing that is not on the list. I also used to do that with the clutch on my other goldwings, there is a gold bushing that needs to be greased. I am not sure if the 18+ goldwings have that bushing or not, but it is good advice to check that and grease it every 8k.

It took me about an hour to do the 8k service since I work slow.
I change my oil every 5k which I will hit 10k this next week so I will change it then. I can add another 2 hours for that, again, I broke my back years ago and I move a little slow these days.
Sounds like I am saving a whole lot of money doing it myself......and I enjoy knowing I did it and it was done right, and there should be no problems. :)

·
Registered
19,260 Posts
I say you were screwed. Change the oil and filters and gas it up

·
Registered
1,151 Posts
I just paid for my 8k mile service on my goldwing tour dct at local Honda dealership. I went ahead and switched to the fully synthetic oil recommended by Honda. Total=$481.00! Charged 3.5 hours labor at $99 per hour. Did I get screwed or is this similar to what others have paid? 2018 goldwing tour dct.

There is a sign in my Honda Shop for service intervals that says " It's more than an oil change". And it is....IF they do everything on the check list for that service interval. I don't know how to tell if they do or not. I guess this is where faith in your dealer comes into play.

Can the service be done cheaper ? YES. Can it be done by you? For me, the answer is NO. So I rely on the dealer. The way I look at it is if the dealer tech checks everything and finds something needs to be replaced before a problem occurs, that is protection about that part causing me a breakdown out on the road. How much is that worth? Well, to ME its worth a TON!
I don't know what it's worth to YOU. Only you can make that decision.

And to answer your question, NO, I don't think that charge you got quoted is out of line.

·
Love The DCT
12,023 Posts
They have what they call a red badge? service tech for the 2018 wings. They say that means he went to special training class for it, so I took his word for it when he recommended the synthetic. He said at 8k miles would be ok to start with it. I used it in my Valkyrie and it really smoothed out that clunkyness of the valk. Also, that list showing what is supposed to be done looks like the list he gave me of completed items, so it was long. Also, he told me it calls for a new air filter at 12k and it would be a good bit more. Geesh!
Tech is wrong on replacing air filter at 12K. Show him the maintenance schedule; air filter replacement is at 16K miles. Spark plug replacement is also on the maintenance schedule at 16K miles.

:doorag:

1 - 16 of 16 Posts