GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Taking a long ride in a couple weeks and will need an oil change during the trip.
How much can I expect to spend at a dealer?
Any help will be appreciated.
Only have 2000 miles on current oil and expect to go about 6000.
I know specs say I can go 8000. Change oil before I go or pay the dealer?

·
Registered
922 Posts
I would try to figure out where I would be when I need the oil change, then call the dealer.
A question to ask is can they take you on the fly.

·
Registered
3,341 Posts
Put on a new filter, top it off and enjoy the trip. The oil can take it. If you run synthetic it certainly can take it. Filters can and usually are a slightly differnt story. 8K is spec and should be fine, but if in doubt a fresh filter and the 1/2 to 3/4 qt will get you through just fine.

Wish I had one of those planned. Have fun.

Dealer was $65 several years ago when I used one the last time. I figure that has gone up.

Best wishes

·
Administrator
3,843 Posts
I personally would prefer not to have to depend on an unknown dealer for drop-in work on the road. If you feel you have to change oil, I'd prefer to do it before the trip.

There's nothing wrong with going the full 8,000 miles unless you know of something with your bike that would prevent it. Many people run more than 8,000 miles during special occasions. For instance, I'd bet that few, if any, of the Wings that ran the recent IBA rally of 11,000 or more miles had an oil change during the rally.

You could change it yourself in a Walmart parking lot. Buy the oil and filter, and a cheap plastic drain pan. Pour the used oil back into the gallon jug, and carry it to the Walmart oil disposal site.

Glen

·
Registered
1,281 Posts
I personally would prefer not to have to depend on an unknown dealer for drop-in work on the road. If you feel you have to change oil, I'd prefer to do it before the trip.

There's nothing wrong with going the full 8,000 miles unless you know of something with your bike that would prevent it. Many people run more than 8,000 miles during special occasions. For instance, I'd bet that few, if any, of the Wings that ran the recent IBA rally of 11,000 or more miles had an oil change during the rally.

You could change it yourself in a Walmart parking lot. Buy the oil and filter, and a cheap plastic drain pan. Pour the used oil back into the gallon jug, and carry it to the Walmart oil disposal site.

Glen
Easy to do with a 17mm and filter wrench which is light to carry...nice! Good suggestion...

·
Registered
1,004 Posts
Personally I would not do a mid-trip oil change.

Although not much could go wrong....there are things that can.

Change it before....and have the peace of mind.

Me....I have OCD...I'd be thinking about it all the time until it was done.

·
Registered
489 Posts
Personally I would change the oil before and after the trip. Why depend on a dealer unless you absolutely have to. Besides if you can do something yourself then why not do it and save $$$ where you can.

If your thinking about oil life I'm sure you are checking tires, brakes, fluids, etc. 6,000 miles is an awesome ride. I wish I had time for a ride like that. Good luck on the trip. Keep the rubber on the road.

·
Registered
385 Posts
If you go the "change it yourself" way, besided taking along that wrench (not the wife I am talking about here either) make sure to take a fresh CRUSH WASHER :joke:

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Really appreciate the input. Exactly what I hoped for. WalMart will be the option. Thanks and Great Idea. I'm glad you thought of it!!!:bow:

·
Registered
5,259 Posts
I have never changed oil mid trip. Some trips 11,000 miles. No harm whatsoever done. Tires? Well that's a different matter.

·
Registered
136 Posts
I would just go to a synthetic oil, change it and the filter yourself prior to leaving...then FORGET IT! Changing it yourself will make you a little more familiar with your bike. You can listen to oil stories all day long but the syn oil has much better numbers than traditional oil, that is if you want to go by the numbers. That is the route I took and will swear by it.

·
Registered
4,246 Posts
Taking a long ride in a couple weeks ....
Only have 2000 miles on current oil and expect to go about 6000.
I know specs say I can go 8000. Change oil before I go or pay the dealer?
I would say neither. Highway travel is easy on the oil, so if I were in that same circumstance I'd just enjoy my trip and change it when I got back.

·
Registered
19,374 Posts
change your own takes less than 5 minutes
no need to remove lower cowling
just reach up there with wrench or hand

·
Registered
514 Posts
Wait

Till you get back. People still don't believe what the manual says. Change every 8,000 miles.

By the way, what's the advantage in mixing half syn, half dino oil?

·
Registered
1,269 Posts
Last year I went cross continent. At a friend's house in L.A. I decided that the bike needed an oil change. Located an Amzoil dealer for oil, Wallyworld for filter, cardboard box and heavy garbage can liner. I drained the oil into the liner in the box, filled the engine with fresh oil and dumped the old oil back in the jug to be recycled. VOILA!

1 - 20 of 43 Posts