GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,711 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When I bought my '03 ABS, I rode it for a couple thousand miles and I don't recall having the gas cap hiss much, if at all, when I opened it to refuel.

When I broke down in Tennessee and the bike was torn apart (twice) to fix the reverse actuator (including removing the gas tank), I noticed afterwards that the gas cap would hiss quite a bit when I stopped to refuel.

Just out of curiosity, how much, if any hissing is normal when loosening the gas cap?

·
Registered
1,195 Posts
Never had any that was noticeable.

·
Registered
8,049 Posts

·
GL1800 Doctor
20,370 Posts
When I bought my '03 ABS, I rode it for a couple thousand miles and I don't recall having the gas cap hiss much, if at all, when I opened it to refuel.

When I broke down in Tennessee and the bike was torn apart (twice) to fix the reverse actuator (including removing the gas tank), I noticed afterwards that the gas cap would hiss quite a bit when I stopped to refuel.

Just out of curiosity, how much, if any hissing is normal when loosening the gas cap?
No hissing allowed, your vent system is malfunctioning. The tank breathes through the vapor canister and a crimped hose, unplugged purge solenoid, or clogged canister could be the cause. Need to fix that before it blows the cap off in your face or vapor locks the tank and kills the engine at speed. Most likely culprit is a smashed/misrouted hose between the tank and the canister.

·
Registered
1,100 Posts
I agree with techdude2000. It happened to me. I had the gas tank out when I changed out the rear shock spring, tightened radiator hose clamps, and cleaned the main ground. It was the first time I removed the tank and had no experience with it. I accidentally pinched that vent hose under the tank and didnt realize it. Locally while riding around, I did notice some increased pressure when opening the gas cap for refueling. However when I then took a trip out to South Dakota and Wyoming, with the increased weather temps, (mid to upper 90's) and then going through the mountains, the hissing turned into howling and I had to slowly remove the gas cap and bleed off the pressure. I'm lucky that the gas tank didnt rupture under that pressure. I started just leaving the gas cap cracked open slightly to prevent the pressure buildup because I wasn't able to take care of it during the trip. Gas mileage went down after that... After finally pulling the gas tank up in the front again to free that pinched vent hose, all the problems went away and I could remove the gas cap normally again.

·
Registered
1,711 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I'll take a look the next time I'm up there.

·
Registered
1,711 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I did the "rear shock actuator refill" procedure a few weeks ago, and when I reinstalled the gas tank, I made sure the vent hose wasn't pinched anywhere.

I've been through two tanks of gas so far, and no hissing.

Case closed.

·
Vendor
17,787 Posts
None ... the vent hose at the right front corner of the tank vapes directly into a charcoal canister. It sounds like your routing for the hose is incorrect. If you don't find it pinched near the top, then it could be routed incorrectly across the top of the motor. Basically it routes on top of everything else (coolant hoses, wire harnesses, intake manifold ...).

1 - 9 of 9 Posts