GL1800Riders Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of MAY's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
490 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
help out here, HD guys are talking there stuff. so what is the hp and tork on our 1800. they say we have a lot of weight so what is the truth here?

·
Registered
1,488 Posts
Okay....I'll go out on a limb here...(I'm sure I'll be corrected if I'm wrong).

118 HP and 108 ft lbs of torque........ or visa versa :shock:

·
Registered
4,934 Posts
HiHo,
Yo Bro!
Here's the dyno readout from Motorcycle.com's test:

Looks like 101 Hp and 107 torque.
Despite the weight, it will out run most of HD's offerings. But if you ask me, it's like comparing apples to oranges. Different styles of bikes for different types of riding. Wish I could afford one of each. :p

·
Registered
2,224 Posts

·
Registered
1,486 Posts
This is a joke post,right? :D
Subject's been cussed,discussed, & kicked around so much that an entire board was established just for these discussions.
To answer your question, the only HD in the same league as the GL 1800, is the HD ULTRA CLASSIC.
Both motorcycles have their good points & the Ultra seems to fit some riders better.
Both weigh in @ 820-840#'s wet. HD stock puts out a puny 65-68 HP,GL1800? A LOT MORE!!!!!!!!!!!! :D
Acceleration & top end,HD cannot compete with the GL1800, & their riders know this. Just tell 'em to "put up or shut up".
Ride Red,
the hobo

·
Registered
490 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
HiYo. thanks for the chart....no this is not a joke post.... I will print this and give it to my HD friend....Thanks

·
Banned
8,202 Posts
One of the main reasons I bought a Wing over an Ultra Classic was power. Not because I like to go fast, but I rented an Ultra Classic for a weekend (pre-Wing) to take the SO on a 300 mile ride. At 70mph I pulled out to pass a semi on a 2-lane road and had to quickly slow down and pull back behind the truck. There was no way the Ultra had the power to get around that truck in a reasonable amount of time.

We were loaded pretty heavy but I only weigh 200 lbs and the SO 105 (light by Harley owner standards), so it was not overall weight. On my Wing, I can pass anything going 70 fully loaded AND pulling a loaded trailer, no problem.

Perhaps the new 96 cube models have more punch. I sure hope so because I love the looks and the ride of the Ultra.

·
Registered
3,156 Posts
Enough to beat a stock Harley without shifting into 5th gear. Tim

·
Registered
19,440 Posts
hobo said:
Subject's been cussed,discussed, & kicked around so much that an entire board was established just for these discussions.
To answer your question, the only HD in the same league as the GL 1800, is the HD ULTRA CLASSIC.
Both motorcycles have their good points & the Ultra seems to fit some riders better.
Both weigh in @ 820-840#'s wet. HD stock puts out a puny 65-68 HP,GL1800? A LOT MORE!!!!!!!!!!!! :D
Acceleration & top end,HD cannot compete with the GL1800, & their riders know this. Just tell 'em to "put up or shut up".
Ride Red,
the hobo
the hobo is right

·
Registered
918 Posts
Just saw a dyno run on the new Harleys and they said only the Screaming Eagle had more hp. The stock Harley had 63hp!

·
Fire Eating Member
6,473 Posts
hobo said:
Ride Red,
the hobo
Hobo... evidently you have not checked the 07 Harleys... they increased the CI and HP this year... and the Screaming Eagle has about the same
HP as the Honda 1800...

cosmic

·
Registered
1,321 Posts
[/quote] Hobo... evidently you have not checked the 07 Harleys... they increased the CI and HP this year... and the Screaming Eagle has about the same
HP as the Honda 1800...

cosmic[/quote]

Of course that SE setup runs $30,000.00 just to stay in the vacinity 8)

·
Registered
9,134 Posts
Every Wednesday night, Buffalo's has a "Bike Night" here in Jacksonville. There is a company that shows up every other week and they bring up a portable dyno. Those interested can have their bikes "dynod" for $30.

About 10 weeks ago, I had him put my 2006 on the machine. 116hp, 126lb ft torque. Then I had him do a top speed run. 167mph. He stated that number was not realistic since there was no wind resistance. He said I should subtract 30-35mph and that number would be closer to the actual top speed.

FYI...

Bartman

·
Registered
638 Posts
Honda's spec measures torque at the driveshaft while the Dyno measures torque at the rear wheel, which will always be less.

·
Whiny Member
460 Posts
Leon Kowalski said:
Ellary said:
Honda's spec measures torque at the driveshaft while the Dyno
measures torque at the rear wheel, which will always be less.

Not to nitpick, but there is NO SUCH THING as "torque at the rear wheel."

A chassis dyno measures horsepower at the rear wheel and back-calculates
"effective torque" at the crankshaft. Torque figures for any other point in
the drivetrain would be totally meaningless -- unless they also specified
stuff like gear ratios and wheel diameter.

LK

Dad blame engineers take all the fun out comparin' Johnsons.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Here are the specs for the European model goldwing from their Honda site. http://www.mc.honda-eu.com/uk/en/mc/tou ... ations.jsp
Type Liquid-cooled 4-stroke 12-valve SOHC flat-6

Displacement 1,832cm3

Bore x Stroke 74 x 71mm

Compression Ratio 9.8: 1

Max. Power Output 87kW/5,500min-1 (95/1/EC)

Max. Torque 167Nm/4,000min-1 (95/1/EC)

Idling Speed 700min-1

Oil Capacity 4.6litres

Fuel System

Carburation PGM-FI electronic fuel injection with automatic choke

Throttle Bore 40mm

Aircleaner Viscous, cartridge-type paper filter

Fuel Tank Capacity 25litres (including 4-litre warning light reserve)

Electrical System

Ignition System Computer-controlled digital transistorised with electronic advance

Ignition Timing 2° BTDC (idle) ~ 30° BTDC (3,500min-1)

Sparkplug Type BKR6E011 (NGK); K20PR-U11 (ND)

Starter Electric

Battery Capacity 12V/18AH

ACG Output 1,000W

Headlight 12V, 55W x 2 (low)/55W x 2 (high)

Drivetrain

Clutch Wet, multiplate with coil springs

Clutch Operation Hydraulic

Transmission Type 5-speed (including overdrive, plus electric reverse)

Primary Reduction 1.591 (78/49)

Gear Ratios

1 2.375 (38/16)

2 1.454 (32/22)

3 1.068 (31/29)

4 0.843 (27/32)

5 0.686 (24/35)

Final Reduction 2.750 (33/12)

Final Drive Enclosed shaft

Frame

Type Diamond; triple-box-section aluminium twin-spar

Chassis

Dimensions (LxWxH) 2,635 x 945 x 1,455mm

Wheelbase 1,690mm

Caster Angle 29° 15'

Trail 109mm

Turning Radius 3.3m

Seat Height 740mm

Ground Clearance 125mm

Dry Weight 369kg , *381kg

Kerb Weight 405kg (F: 185.1kg; R: 219.9kg), *417kg (F: 190.6kg; R: 226.4kg)

Max. Carrying Capacity 200kg

Loaded Weight 602kg (F: 227kg; R: 375kg)

Suspension

Type

Front 45mm air-assist telescopic fork with anti-dive, 140mm stroke

Rear Pro-Link Pro-Arm with electronically controlled spring preload adjustment, 105mm axle travel

Wheels

Type

Front Hollow-section 5-spoke cast aluminium

Rear Hollow-section triple-spoke cast aluminium

Rim Size

Front 18 x MT3.5

Rear 16 x MT5

Tyre Size

Front 130/70-R18 (63H)

Rear 180/60-R16 (74H)

Tyre Pressure

Front 250kPa

Rear 280kPa

Brakes

Type

Front 296 x 4.5mm dual hydraulic disc with Combined 3-piston callipers, ABS, floating rotors and sintered metal pads

Rear 316 x 11mm ventilated disc with Combined 3-piston calliper, ABS and sintered metal pads

·
Registered
464 Posts
It's not the horsepower, it's the torque of this beast thats so impressive. Can you imagine trying to putt around at 20 mph in 5th gear on a two banging v-twin and then punch it. Ha ha ha ha ha! :lol:

·
Registered
393 Posts
LOL
Twist your wrist let out the clutch and watch him fade away in your rear view mirror. Tomorrow when he catches up to you he will still be talking. But you know better.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts