GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have e-3s on my bike and yes they do wobble ! But if i run 3 lbs of air pressure over the posted max pressure the wobble is less by 50% !( So my question is how much over is dangerous ???????????)

·
Registered
1,304 Posts
I'm not sure many here are really qualified to answer that question, but I can tell you that a few weeks back I asked one on Bridgestones engineers what they recommended for tire pressure. It seems that Honda and the tire MFG's disagree on this issue, but his response was take max pressure minus 2. Anything more increases the possibility of belt failure should you strike a pot-hole or like object.
I realize that a number of folks may have a different opinion, but I just thought I would share what had been passed along to me.

·
Vendor
18,114 Posts
Look on the side of the tire and each will have a max psi. You can take the air pressure up to that psi cold (cold: sitting at least four hours and not driven more then 1 mile). It is important that you keep the differential of air pressure from front to rear as listed on the sticker in the trunk. Therefore, you can take the rear tire to max and lower the frt 4 psi less.

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
GoldWingrGreg said:
Look on the side of the tire and each will have a max psi. You can take the air pressure up to that psi cold (cold: sitting at least four hours and not driven more then 1 mile). It is important that you keep the differential of air pressure from front to rear as listed on the sticker in the trunk. Therefore, you can take the rear tire to max and lower the frt 4 psi less.
then i have to ask why is It important that you keep the differential of air pressure from front to rear as listed on the sticker in the trunk???????

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Anybody?????????

·
Registered
412 Posts
crush washer

If the front is the same as the back the crush washer might fall off.

enjoy the ride,
Royal

·
Registered
2,375 Posts
Way, way back in time, I drove a '57 Ford in the canyons.

Front pressure was 50 PSI and rear pressure was 35 PSI (cold, of course).

Tire wear was even. No wearing out in the center.

Setting up a 4 wheel drift was easy, and it was easy to maintain it through the curve.

Most tires were rated a max pressure of 32 PSI.

A friend of mine had a '62 Corvair. He ran the same pressures but on opposite ends (35ft/50rr).

We both lived through our blatant disregard for the max. pressure on the sidewall. :shock:

The car that understeered had a higher pressure on the front to create a more neutral handling.

The car that oversteered had a higher pressure on the rear to create a more neutral handling.

This is just a demonstration of how the difference in tire pressure will affect the handling of a vehicle.

Maybe some high performance bike riders have something to say. :?

·
Registered
21,054 Posts
wouldn't recommend going over 42 PSI because i ran one rear Bridgestone with an extra 1-2 PSI (43-44) and the cords were showing about 2000+ miles sooner than on any other Bridgestones i have used

·
Registered
1,244 Posts
What sticker in the trunk? I ain't got no stinkin sticker in my trunk!

·
Vendor
18,114 Posts
If it's like cars, in the 80's front wheel drive cars had it for years. What happened is that there were many accidents that could have been avoided if the tires were properly inflated. As a result, the car manufactures took notice that differential of air pressure was confusing to the car owner. Therefore, during the 90's we began to see less of that in cars because the manufactures began tailoring suspension and braking system to have proper braking and handling with the same pressure front to rear. I would think that Honda wants a differential of pressure for the same reason ... proper braking and handling.

·
Vendor
18,114 Posts
MotorcycleBoy said:
What sticker in the trunk? I ain't got no stinkin sticker in my trunk!
Honda is required by the DOT to place a tire information sticker some where on the bike as well as puting the info in the operators manule. My 1800 has the tire information sticker located on the underside of the trunk lid.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts