GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I found a nice 1985 Goldwing Aspencade with only 30,000 miles on it. Is that an okay first Goldwing? Are there any weak points to look out for? Will that be a good long hauler?

What would you pay for a bike like this?

Thank you,

Chris

·
Registered
161 Posts
NADA blue book has them valued at $3250 for one rated at very good. Hope this helps. I think you would enjoy the power and performance of a six cylinder 1500 or even a 1800 better though....just my opinion.

·
Registered
1,853 Posts
I would hold out for a 1500. World of difference in bikes in comfort and power for not much more money if you shop around. I sold my 88 GL1500 4 years ago and it is still going strong.

·
Registered
224 Posts
I have owned GW's scince 76 I could tell a difference between each one it seemed to just get better. You will find that a wing of any size will be smooth compaired to most anything else, the biggest difference I noticed was between the 1500 and 1800, the 1500 is a lot more top heavy you will notice this when you stand them up off the side stand. There is more torque with the 1800 but that comes at a price at the pump. I think that a 1200 would be a good starter wing if the price is right with your pocket, if you have deep enough pockets I would just go straight to the 1800, just my 1 cent. Larry

·
Registered
1,461 Posts
The GL1200 Gold Wing's were good bikes, however there was one relatively serious problem with them. There was an inferior wiring connection for the stator (alternator) and this resulted in burning out the stators. The connection would get hot and short the wires together then that would burn out the stator. It happened to just about all of them in due time. And replacing the stator required removal of the engine which was a costly job. A couple of folks were able to remove the engine mounts and slide the engine side ways and get the stator out like that.

Replacement of the stator at a Honda shop is somewhere around a 600 - 800 dollar job (including the stator). My friend paid $700.00 in 1999 to have his stator replaced at a Honda dealership.

I would recommend checking to see if the stator was ever replaced on the '85 Aspencade. I seriously doubt that with 30,000 miles that it has been replaced. Most of them had more miles than that before they failed.

I would check the bike over real good, 30,000 miles is very low mileage for a 24 year old bike. Things can happen when bikes are not ridden much, especially with brakes (calipers), clutches, gaskets and seals and such.

Among other things, I would check the condition of the clutch and brake fluids, are they dirty (contaminated etc.) from sitting around etc. What about the condition of the tires?

I have see some great looking older bikes with low mileage that need a lot of mechanical work and attention. Which can get quite costly (unless you do all your own work).

Not trying to sound negative but I would recommend checking it over real good. Only having 30,000 miles does not necessarily mean the bike is in great shape. It may or may not be!

Basically, you have two things to consider:

1: The cosmetic appearance and condition of the bike.

2. The mechanical condition of the bike.

Dave Bohrer
Silver Spring, MD

·
Registered
3,915 Posts
What would you pay for a bike like this?
$2,500 Tops... and make sure you have plenty of $$$ to get this quarter century old baby in shape for the <long haul>...

I would buy a modern motorcycle if I were looking for something to actually ride. If you want something to tinker with (and you WILL be tinkering!) this is your ride. I see you have a KTM (keep two mechanics) and an old skool Kaw, this old Goldwing may be right up your alley! :) Good luck!

·
Registered
200 Posts
Like others have said the stator may be the biggest problem. Look under the left cover for 3 yellow wires that connect to 3 other yellow wires with a white plug, it is the connections inside the plug that get corroded and damage the stator, if it is a so. west bike, (it looks like you are in Ca?) they may never get corroded, if the plug is burnt looking but you still get 14+- volts at the battery the stator is fine just get rid of the white plug and splice the 3 wires to one another, doesn't matter how, the don't need to match up, they are all the same wire. that will cure the stator for ever, but it will probably need fresh tires, brake pads, fork seals, read end and motor/trans oil change. If you can't do the work yourself don't buy it. 3K is a fair price as long as everything works. doing the work yourself you can get away with $3-$400 in parts to shape it up.

Low mileage on old bikes is no problem, I buy alot of them for the fun of it, This week I sold a 78 wing with 12K miles on it and looked it, $2700. as long as the bike was stored inside it should be fine, especialy if it is a so. west vehicle. I also have a 97 BMW K1100LT I bought last sept, had 2500 orig miles, I replaced the esentials and put 3K on it since, runs like new. The BMW is for sale if the wing falls through, it is $6000 and ready for a coast to coaster.

·
Registered
200 Posts
Forgot to mention the rad hoses will need to be changed along with the timing belts unless the owner has some record of when they were changed, I think the norm is 3 yrs or 30K miles, I changed them on my 78 and it looked like the factory originals were still in there and in good shape but if one breaks, kiss the engine goodby.

·
Registered
20,954 Posts
sorry to say but personally because of the stator problems with the 1200 i would not even consider buying it unless your plan is to stay pretty close to home. just think of all the costs if the stator went out 1,000 miles from home

·
Registered
307 Posts
sorry to say but personally because of the stator problems with the 1200 i would not even consider buying it unless your plan is to stay pretty close to home. just think of all the costs if the stator went out 1,000 miles from home
Not to mention finding a dealer that would work on a 1200.

·
Registered
200 Posts
The stator wire plug was a problem on 1000's, 1100's, 1200's AND 1500's, Again, the trouble is at the 3 yellow wire plug, easily inspected, as long as the plug stays clean there is no problem, if the plug and connectors are in good condition I will keep the plug intact and seal in dilectric grease, if yucky just splice the wires together and forgetabout the plug, the stator does not go bad by itself.

·
Registered
272 Posts

·
Registered
1,004 Posts
Chris,
One of your first questions is it good for the long haul?
Everything stated above are real things to consider!
I bought an "82" around 8 years ago and the first problem I encountered was, when I would attempt to open her up she started bogging down:cry:
After I pulled one of the carb bowls it had a fine silty rust floating in them,
so when I would get on her, the jets in the carbs would clog.
After further inspection, by shining a bright flashlight into the fuel tank and there was rust on the inner lining of the tank, when I rocked her while looking in there, I could see it moving around in the bottom of the tank!:evil:
So I used a product called CREEM, (acid wash,while using a hand full of nuts to etch,then the milky substance to coat it)
Then rebuildt the carbs.
That worked fine, and road her hard for 4yrs, no problems since :thumbup:
If you can hold off and save your dimes for awhile and find a good used 1800, YOU WILL THANK US IN THE LONG RUN ;)

·
Registered
3,294 Posts
I had a 1985 that was decked out really nice. The stator was welded or the wires had something done to them so i never had a problem. This would be an excellent bike for tooling around the town. if you are going on trips i would suggest a 1500. the problem as well is parts. it is difficult to get them and the same will be with the 1500's soon.

·
Registered
2,801 Posts
There is more torque with the 1800 but that comes at a price at the pump. Larry

From My experience, I would disagree with this statement.
My 92 1500 got around 29 to 32 MPGs.
The DWG 1800 gets closer to 38 MPGs.

·
Registered
20,954 Posts
i sure hope we did offend Chris with all our negative comments about the 1200 wing

·
Resident BBQ Expert
13,862 Posts
take the money you had for the 1200, and use it for a down payment on a leftover new 08

they have 9/10 % interest

the payments would be about equal to the repairs on the relic, plus the cost of getting stranded

·
Registered
4,935 Posts
As said before, the 1200 is a great bike, the stator is the weak point, if it has been replaced than go for it, If not your looking at a major expense to replace, the engine has to come out of the bike. If you find a 1500 you can afford than I would go that instead. Just my thoughts

1 - 20 of 32 Posts