GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have the Kury luggage rack with risers. I know the mfg. recommends a five pound limit. I bought the Wingstuff rack bag and it and a frog toggs rainsuit is about 5 pounds. So realistically how much weight can it take.
Thanks

·
Registered
4,020 Posts
I have the Kury luggage rack with risers. I know the mfg. recommends a five pound limit. I bought the Wingstuff rack bag and it and a frog toggs rainsuit is about 5 pounds. So realistically how much weight can it take.
Thanks
The least, the merrier, it's mostly cosmetic. Be sure you also have the star washers under the legs. I never have anything more than rain gear or bike cover on mine (same rack), and that only when travelling, easier to get to. + the cover has a better chance of drying out from overnight dew. Kust MHO.

·
Registered
1,457 Posts
I just put my rain gear and other lightweight clothing in it and have no problems. Some say it doesn't hold much so its not worth it so I once filled one of the saddlebags with shirts and socks and was able to transfer the contents to the Kury rackbag, worth it to me!

Steve

·
Registered
4,447 Posts
Thr rack will probable hold 50lbs, but your trunk lid won't.

·
Registered
1,890 Posts
I rode with a guy last week that had 30lbs on his and said that he does it all the time and has for a couple of years

·
Registered
3,178 Posts
I routinely carry 10lbs in my rack bag and no more. It has worked well for a long time with several Wings and no lid damage yet.

Fred

07 Blue Wing

·
Mild Hog
585 Posts
We carry two tour Master rain suits and a bike cover , gloves in the pockets. I think about the weight but we could not do with out it.

·
Registered
661 Posts
Frogg Toggs, and a 1/2 cover in a HelenTwoWheels Mesh bag.
.............Don

·
Registered
3,000 Posts
I have carried 15 lbs on the rack without risers many times without damage. Last week I added the risers with the larger feet.
The manufactures put crazy maximum weights for many legal reasons. One is "it could make the bike top heavy and hard to control" :shock:.
When I had my VTX1800N with the deluxe carrier it was specified to have a maximum carrying weight of 6 lbs. Since I was going to mount a trunk , I tested it. I sat on it (205 lbs) with no problem.
Don't try this with a plastic trunk cover though:eek:4:.

·
Registered
1,461 Posts
I rode with a guy last week that had 30lbs on his and said that he does it all the time and has for a couple of years

It only takes "one large bump" to crack the trunk lid when it is overloaded. Obviously, he has not hit that bump yet........yeah never know when it will happen. When you overload, you take your chances........!

·
Registered
45 Posts
I read somewhere the mounting instructions said to drill through both the outer trunk lid and the inner, then mount the rack using the large washers that came with it, etc. Anyway, the recommendation was not to mount it to the inner. I mounted it to the outer lid only, with all the large rubber and steel washers that came with the rack and riser set, and I think it is very solid. I don't really think star washers would add much to the equation.
I've had way more than 5 lbs on the rack many times, and no cracks. I've even used the rack as a handle to close the trunk a few times, although I don't like doing that.
My recommendation is to use a Kury or similar rack bag, and you can fill it with clothing items, no issue.

·
Registered
1,969 Posts
uuuj, I have the same rack and bag as you. I routinely
ride with 15 to 20 lbs loaded. When I installed the
Kury' rack, I called their help-line for installation tips
and asked the same question while I had them on the
phone as I was concerned about cracking the trunk lid.
They told me improper/poor installation was a bigger
cause of cracking than the weight. They recommended
a very clean and correct size hole be drilled with a
new or very sharp bit, and absolutely do not overtighten
the bolts.....just snug.

I have not had any problems and don't expect too...
when I travel, the trunk is full to the top and I'm sure
that takes some of the strain from the weight that's
sitting on top. .............Jon sends

1 - 14 of 14 Posts