GL1800Riders Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2,984 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just bought a used, older Piggy Backer trailer--the kind with leaf springs. I want to take it for a ride, not a trip. How much weight should I throw in there to stabilize the ride and reduce bouncing when I'm just tootling around? I can throw a 45 pound plate in there. Suggestions on where to start are welcome.

PiggyBacker from the Back.jpg

·
Registered
871 Posts
General rule of thumb is 8 to 10% of total trailer weight on the tongue i,e, trailer weighs #250, tonguw weight should be #20 to #25... That should give you adequate stability... A little more is OK but don't go too heavy on the tongue as that can cause problems too...

A trailer that has leaf springs and no shocks will be prone to bouncing no matter what... You could try adding shocks or change axles to independent rubber torsion type - both will be an inprovement over leaf springs only...

Les

·
Registered
2,984 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
How much air are you running in the tires?
The trailer is new to me. The previous owner said he tried everything from 35 pounds on down. He suggested 15 pounds of pressure in those little 8" wheels. He said any more than that and she bounces all over the place. So, that's what we ran them all the way from Georgia back to North Carolina. The tires barely got warm. They have plenty of tread left--they look almost new. So, I'll stick with that for now.

Did you have another recommendation?

·
Registered
5,036 Posts
The trailer is new to me. The previous owner said he tried everything from 35 pounds on down. He suggested 15 pounds of pressure in those little 8" wheels. He said any more than that and she bounces all over the place. So, that's what we ran them all the way from Georgia back to North Carolina. The tires barely got warm. They have plenty of tread left--they look almost new. So, I'll stick with that for now.

Did you have another recommendation?
I agree with the pressure. I don't know about the piggy backer but the HF trailer had two leaf springs, cutting one off helped a lot. I'm guessing I needed about 50-75 lbs in my HF with one leaf spring to stop the bouncing.

·
Registered
3,809 Posts
I agree with Bucfan if you have two leaf springs remove one for a better smoother ride. On tire pressure wet your garage floor and pull your trailer across looking at the tire pattern, if more contact patch is in the middle too much air, full contact patch on the floor pressure is just right for long tire life, Contact patch on the outsides no enough air. !5 lbs should be close to go

1 - 7 of 7 Posts