GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
385 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am riding a 2006 GL1800 with a Champion Kit. I recently installed an ATV Cargo Carrier. The carrier is 48"W C 18" Deep. The kit weighs 45 lbs. However, I have installed run/turn/brake lights on the back and marker lights on the left and right rear plus the wiring. I am guessing the kit will top out a dab under 55 lbs. I am wondering how much weight I may safely carry on the carrier? Any of you had any experience? Appreciate your input. I am leaving for Colorado and Utah about the middle of September. Wanna be safe. Plan to be gone about two weeks. Thanks.

·
Registered
24,624 Posts

·
Registered
937 Posts
Here's a photo of our hitch rack I built ready to leave on an 8 day, 2100 mile trip through Utah & AZ.

It started out at about 30# (hitch, rack & box) but by the middle of the trip and us switching to light hot weather gear and stowing all the leather and winter jackets in the box - it went up to 80# MINIMUM ! Believe me I lifted it every evening and carried it into the motel.

The CSC tongue is a flat steel piece that bounces like a car rear spring so I ditched that and fabbed up a mount that uses a standard 2" receiver and will safely handle a heavy load. Not a pretty job, but I was under the gun to leave the next day when I found out the CSC tongue just wasn't going to work.

I have since cleaned it up.

Here is a link to the new setup

http://gl1800riders.com/forums/showthread.php?t=292168

As far as the effect on the trike - I really didn't notice the weight hanging out there on the rear during our entire trip and we went over every kind of road you can imagine.

When we got home, I checked everything out and the plate that holds the receiver on with 6 grade 8 bolts looked like new.

The moral of the story is with a receiver capable of handling the weight the CSC trike did very well even at a heavily loaded condition.

·
Registered
10,849 Posts
I am riding a 2006 GL1800 with a Champion Kit. I recently installed an ATV Cargo Carrier. The carrier is 48"W C 18" Deep. The kit weighs 45 lbs. However, I have installed run/turn/brake lights on the back and marker lights on the left and right rear plus the wiring. I am guessing the kit will top out a dab under 55 lbs. I am wondering how much weight I may safely carry on the carrier? Any of you had any experience? Appreciate your input. I am leaving for Colorado and Utah about the middle of September. Wanna be safe. Plan to be gone about two weeks. Thanks.
Marketers of cargo carriers intended for use on motorcycles usually specify weight limits in sales and installation literature and/or on web sites. my guess is that the equipment itself [at 55#] is bumping the limit that most suppliers would suggest. What tongue weight do most motorcycle trailer marketers recommend?

·
Registered
28 Posts
How much weight

Marketers of cargo carriers intended for use on motorcycles usually specify weight limits in sales and installation literature and/or on web sites. my guess is that the equipment itself [at 55#] is bumping the limit that most suppliers would suggest. What tongue weight do most motorcycle trailer marketers recommend?

How do you get into your trike storage area when you have the rack installed an loaded...........looks like its too close to the trike storage to use your trike storage.

·
Registered
937 Posts
How do you get into your trike storage area when you have the rack installed an loaded...........looks like its too close to the trike storage to use your trike storage.
The trunk will not open all the way but it opens enough for you to get things in and out while the box in on the rack. With the rack off it opens almost all the way.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts