GL1800Riders Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
1,934 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Being from Texas you would think that Arizona would show us a little kindness and only rain on us for a little while. All the way from the NM border to Tombstone it was close to a frog strangler....now we were happy to see rain but quickly grew tired of it. While at a rest stop, a micro burst came down from sky along with some heavy rain and hail and blew my poor bike over with no damage. The Tail Wind trailer just sat there and said "is that all you've got?". My brand new Sidi On Road boots are NOT waterproof but they do hold water well.

·
Banned
1,128 Posts
Dan, get yourself a pair of Cruiserworks boots. Super comfy, well made, and 100% waterproof! I've worn mine in a downpour for 6 hours and my feet were perfectly dry! :thumbup:

·
Registered
174 Posts
I've been using Red Wing boots for years for work, when I'm done working, they do fine on the bike, if they're good enough to deal with 8-10 hours in slush, you can bet they're good enough to keep your feet dry on the bike. I get the insulated ones still even though I'm down in FL now, because they keep the heat from the pavement out as well. Spendy, take a week or two to break in, but I've been buying the same "model" for years and never regretted it.

http://www.redwingshoes.com/red-wing-shoe/2414-red-wing-shoes/2414-red-wing-mens-8-inch-boot-brown

·
Registered
19,398 Posts
Lots of good boots out there.

For me the oem shield is perfect with the right amount of protection and wind flow. It's a motorcycle---expect wind

·
Registered
2,289 Posts
Many years ago in New Orleans my wing was knocked over by a micro burst. Just had to buy a crash guard. Have to agree about the Redwings. I've worn them for years for work and riding. They have a goretex type of liner. I've worn the insulated ones all day on the bike in the mid 20's and wouldn't buy anything else. Great boots but my wife won't wear them as they are clod hoppers. Suits my personality, but not hers.

·
Registered
3,187 Posts
Being from Texas you would think that Arizona would show us a little kindness and only rain on us for a little while. All the way from the NM border to Tombstone it was close to a frog strangler....now we were happy to see rain but quickly grew tired of it. While at a rest stop, a micro burst came down from sky along with some heavy rain and hail and blew my poor bike over with no damage. The Tail Wind trailer just sat there and said "is that all you've got?". My brand new Sidi On Road boots are NOT waterproof but they do hold water well.
Welcome to Monsoon :). If the water came through the boots and not over 'em I would get replacement boots because your Sidi's are defective. They should be water proof, in testing they have set in water for 24 hours with out leaking. Bet you are correct though, once full ain't none going to get out :).

Yep, winds get pretty strong. One hit last week that bent the very substantial flagpole in front of the office about 15 degrees off plumb.

BTW, Monsoon is the major reason I sold my little airplane. The storms can come up very suddenly and can be very violent with very high winds. The thought of trying to land a tail dragger in 40 knot or greater x-wind was too much so she didn't get flown in the summer.

Hope you have a chance to run north of Tombstone up US 191 to Alpine. That road is one of AZ's great treasures. One of my favorite RTEs is to the Bear Wallow cafe in Alpine. Look at Texas T's reply toward the end of this thread http://gl1800riders.com/forums/showthread.php?t=292006

·
Registered
3,610 Posts

I wore my On Road boots during the Gator1000 in Florida last March. It rained for hours and hundreds of miles and my feet stayed dry. You may have had water enter your boots from the top.

I wore LDcomfort long sleeve shirt as well as the tights, a textile jacket, Frogg Toggs pants over my Levis, and gore-tex gloves.

The Frogg-Toggs over the boots kept water from seeping in from the top.

:thumbup:

·
Registered
250 Posts
For the past 30 years or so, I just wear high-top basketball shoes with a little bees-wax worked into the exterior. My feet have never gotten wet.

·
Registered
1,732 Posts
While at a rest stop, a micro burst came down from sky along with some heavy rain and hail and blew my poor bike over with no damage. The Tail Wind trailer just sat there and said "is that all you've got?".

Was it on the centerstand?

·
Registered
1,705 Posts
Welcome to Az in the Monsoon. For those that don't know, Monsoon is a season. That's why we don't call it Monsoon Season. We had winds up to 60mph in the Phoenix area last night with a bunch of rain.

·
Registered
850 Posts
I use red wing water prof boots. Comfortable with no worry of getting my feet wet.

·
Registered
322 Posts
I've ridden in some very windy conditions, but never knew what the actual wind speeds were....until last April. My wife and I were riding (two up) between Reno and Carson City on Hwy 395 and were hit with some gusts that almost blew us into the oncoming traffic. Very scary stuff and as bad as any wind I've ever ridden in. Well, later that evening the TV news said the wind that day was 30 gusting to 50 mph. So now that's my benchmark. The 30 mph wind was doable, but the gusts to 50 were very dangerous and I wouldn't knowingly do that again.

·
Registered
1,934 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Wind Blown

Bike was on the side stand quartering away from the wind. I had the half cover on and I think it popped up and helped bring the bike over. I am thinking that MOST of the water came in over the top but I noticed it while standing in about 4 inches of running water getting the bike set up. Going to dry them for a while and sit them in a tub of water when I get home to test them.

My wife and I tend to attract bad weather on the bike. Last trip to the east we fought thunderstorms that dropped tornadoes in Alabama and the South East.

Watching the Phoenix TV weather girl April and she said "Monsoon Season". I know in India it is Monsoon season because they have two.

·
Registered
958 Posts
I feel your pain. I've also owned waterproof boots and waterproof gloves that aren't waterproof. :confused:

·
Registered
1,705 Posts
Watching the Phoenix TV weather girl April and she said "Monsoon Season". I know in India it is Monsoon season because they have two.
April is on 3TV and she does refer to it as a Monsoon. The reason she refers to it as "Season" is most people don't really understand it. Here is an article written by a good friend of mine that is a local meteorologist and was on three local TV stations, the radio and was a state senator at one time.

http://ag.arizona.edu/maricopa/garden/html/weather/monsoon.htm

·
Registered
638 Posts
Dan,
Sorry to hear about your GW and those boots. But for a guy who makes a living using the force of the wind.......
And Wow! Ohio isn't the only state with rain?? TX & the SW sure can use it (slowly).
You aren't bringing any H2O to UT are you :22yikes:

·
Registered
1,934 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Wind

Well we made it to Tombstone and enjoyed the morning there. Left and headed for San Diego, no rain but HOT...111 at Gila Bend. My LD Comfort really helped. Ran into a couple on a Harley rental from the Netherlands. They both were in shorts and t shirts. I felt sorry for them.
Many thanks to Bubba1 for teaching about how to ride in the hot weather. I finally got my wife to pull down the visor and chin shield on her Multi Tech and she admitted that it was cooler.

Monsoon or Monsoon Season! I understand....just yanking your chain. Wish we had time to stop by and meet some of you but we were and are on a fairly tight schedule.

·
Registered
3,187 Posts
Well we made it to Tombstone and enjoyed the morning there. Left and headed for San Diego, no rain but HOT...111 at Gila Bend. My LD Comfort really helped. Ran into a couple on a Harley rental from the Netherlands. They both were in shorts and t shirts. I felt sorry for them.
Many thanks to Bubba1 for teaching about how to ride in the hot weather. I finally got my wife to pull down the visor and chin shield on her Multi Tech and she admitted that it was cooler.

Monsoon or Monsoon Season! I understand....just yanking your chain. Wish we had time to stop by and meet some of you but we were and are on a fairly tight schedule.
Thanks, glad it helped.....bet the HD guys were shaking their head thinking "crazy gringos riding in all that gear in this heat" :).

If you have time and come back through Tucson give a shout.

·
Registered
1,705 Posts
Dan,
Have a great time over in the land of fruits & nuts. At least it should be cooler. Let us know if you have any problems with the LEO's and the crazy 55mph trailer speed limit. :wrong:
Rick

1 - 20 of 21 Posts