GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
3,915 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been pretty lucky ...I ride with just the factory tool kit, a small air compressor and tire plug kit (which has never been used). I know some riders don't feel comfortable riding without torque wrenches, bottle jacks, etc, etc....Others ride like I do, with a cell phone, credit card and a towing service agreement (mine is with my insurance company)...

Soooo..Now is the time for those that have really inspiring stories to tell about how the day was saved using their Uber tool kits...

If the problem did not stop you dead in your tracks (for example, maintenance doesn't count, a blown light bulb doesn't count) your story doesn't count, since it will be assumed you could have still ridden and it is therefore <not> an emergency...The coax cable on my heated clothing went of the fritz once...Uncomfortable, yes, stop me in my tracks? Nope!

If the event that stopped you in your tracks could have been repaired using the stock tool kit and a compressor/tire plug kit it doesn't count, since those items aren't exclusve to just Uber tool kits....Ok, let's hear the stories...With 21,000 registered members, I bet this post is pages and pages in length before too long of "How my Uber kit saved my bacon"...Ok...Who is first???

P.S. No <what if>, or <coulda been> stories either! ;)

·
Registered
605 Posts
I have never heard of the Uber Tool Kit. Do they have a website where we can check it out :coffee1:

Seriously, I am like you and only cary the basics. The best tool I have is a road service card with an 800# and my cell phone.

Ride Safe
Dick

·
Resident BBQ Expert
13,862 Posts
i used the tool kit on my wing to great advantage

i took it and sold it the first day i had the bike

i took the $35, and purchased about 6 bbq lunches while riding

yes i carried the cell phone, credit card, and towing warranty

the tool kit didnt save any bacon, but provided much needed pig butt in bbq sauce

·
Registered
724 Posts
With one tool I have:

Replaced a busted fuel pump (Victory)
Replaced a broken belt (Victory)
Replaced yet another fuel pump (Victory)
Replaced a neutral switch (Victory)
Repaired a flat (Victory)
Replaced a dead battery (Victory)
Replaced yet another fuel pump (Victory)
Got jumped off

The tool? The cell phone.

:p

·
Registered
9,099 Posts
Only time I have been stopped cold on a wing was with a flat tire. :A quarter inch bolt thru the edge, and I don't care what you brought, it was going to take a new tire to get the rim off the ground.

And with a group of wings, one had a fuel pump go out. Tools were never the problem, we had plenty. And experience was not the problem - guy riding is has 25 years as a Honda Small Engine (motorcycle, ATV, etc) mechanic. Problem was parts. Every one carry a fuel pump?

Both times, the tool that did the job was a cell phone. And that is coming from someone with about 300,000 miles on goldwings, 120,000 on the 1800s.

·
Registered
3,699 Posts
The best tool I have is a road service card with an 800# and my cell phone.

Same here :thumbup: and never in 7 years had to use either one for on- road emergency.

Thanks Honda for a great ride.:yes1:

·
Registered
1,673 Posts
The only time I was stopped cold my cell phone and AAA bailed me out. Stopped at a gas station in Ozark Arkansas and proceeded to pump 4.7 gallons of water. Bike stated and ran about 5 feet and stopped dead. Had the bike towed to Russellville Honda (great group of people), they took care of everything and had us back on the road in just a couple of hours. The gas company payed for everything including overnight accommodations. I still carry a full complement of tools, just can't help myself.

·
Registered
20,945 Posts
The only time I was stopped cold my cell phone and AAA bailed me out. Stopped at a gas station in Ozark Arkansas and proceeded to pump 4.7 gallons of water. Bike stated and ran about 5 feet and stopped dead. Had the bike towed to Russellville Honda (great group of people), they took care of everything and had us back on the road in just a couple of hours. The gas company payed for everything including overnight accommodations. I still carry a full complement of tools, just can't help myself.
interesting, did the gas station have any explanation as how they woundup pumping water ?

·
Registered
9,099 Posts
Likely, the water level got above the pump intake. ....:joke:

·
Registered
3,150 Posts
Traveling through the mountains one dark and gloomy night. Bike coughed and died in the middle of nowhere. Oil pouring from the crankcase, coolant pouring from the radiator and two flat tires. Transmission stuck in 5th and the CD payer quit working. Just as it died I heard the howling of mountain lions and saw an angry bear in the woods nearby. Broke out my trusty tool kit and........ no, maybe that was just the story I told the grandkids

·
Registered
97 Posts
The best tool on my bike is my wife , Ellen.. :bow:
We were coming home after spending a few days on the west coast of Vancover Island.The road east from Tofino is kind of rough.We hit this one particularly hard bump and heard the spare tire on our Kwik-Kamp hit the ground....HARD...and then it started to drag on the ground. Uh-Oh...We pulled over and discovered that the trailer tongue was broken..Oh #*@%$..After finding out that our cellphone wouldn't work and some discussion of our options,we went to work.We removed the spare tire,cooler and finally the tongue itself from the trailer.Then we "loaded" up for the trip back to town.What a sight..Ellen had to carry the trailer tongue with her on the back seat.We went through a road construction site and I'm sure from the looks on the flaggers'faces they had never seen that before.Got to town,(Ucluelet)..and after asking around,we found Erik Larsen Diesel and Marine Service,down on the waterfront.They fixed us up while Ellen and I had lunch and then it was back out to the highway to re-install the tongue on the trailer.It bolted right up and we were on our way again.
This was just another reminder of just how valuable my wonderful wife and co-rider,Ellen is to me.Without her this wouldn't have been possible.She turned a potentially bad experance into successfull "Roadside Challenge"

·
Vendor
21,870 Posts
Stranded in Ohio with a flashing reverse light. Pushed starter button, no start. 2,500 miles or so from home and still have a week and a half worth of travel in front of me and am supposed to pick up the wife at the airport in Albany New York in two days. Bike isn't going anywhere. The only bright spot is that it happened when I pulled into the hotel to check in for the night, so at least I was in a fair position to try to do something about it.

I got out my laptop I carry with me and pulled up the schematics on the reverse system and started troubleshooting. I began surfing the GL1800 boards to see if I could find someone with a similar problem, and hopefully a fix.

After much research and troubleshooting I found a thread where someone had found a loose wire nut on the wire for the reverse sense switch. So I go out and check it, and sure-nuff, thats the problem. Tighten the nut and bike starts right up.

So from now on I take the computer with me whenever I travel. It saved the whole trip from being a disaster, and I am positive if I had called a dealer that they would have kept it for 2 weeks and replaced the entire wire harness.

·
Registered
603 Posts
i used the tool kit on my wing to great advantage

i took it and sold it the first day i had the bike

i took the $35, and purchased about 6 bbq lunches while riding

yes i carried the cell phone, credit card, and towing warranty

the tool kit didnt save any bacon, but provided much needed pig butt in bbq sauce
Now this is my kinda guy :congrats:

·
Registered
603 Posts
Although, I do have one tool I use occasionally when riding with my girlfriend.

·
Registered
135 Posts
I carry a few tools and Air compressor for tire but mainly have used tools for my friends on Harleys. I rode a Harley and needed tools several times.

·
Registered
603 Posts
I have never heard of the Uber Tool Kit. Do they have a website where we can check it out :coffee1:

Seriously, I am like you and only cary the basics. The best tool I have is a road service card with an 800# and my cell phone.

Ride Safe
Dick
Über or ueber ( German pronunciation (help·info)) comes from the German language. It is a cognate of both Latin super and Greek ὑπέρ (hyper), as well as English over.

(not much to do today, it's raining)

·
Registered
9,099 Posts
Although, I do have one tool I use occasionally when riding with my girlfriend.
If it is "occasionally", you may be in danger of riding alone....:joke:

·
Registered
1,673 Posts
interesting, did the gas station have any explanation as how they woundup pumping water ?
No explanation, the owner was truly sorry for the trouble, I was among the first to pump water, before (I/they) figured out what was going on, there was about 8 to 10 trucks and cars strewn about the parking lot and the street in both directions from the gas station.

Needless to say there were a bunch of really P1$$ed off people all looking at the station owner. I was about the only one not yelling and carrying on, I figured I'd do that later, right then I needed a tow truck before everyone else figured out they needed one. I was right by the time my tow truck got there I could have made some serious money selling my tow truck slot. Actually that was kinda funny.

·
Registered
3,915 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I got out my laptop I carry with me and pulled up the schematics on the reverse system and started troubleshooting. I began surfing the GL1800 boards to see if I could find someone with a similar problem, and hopefully a fix.

After much research and troubleshooting I found a thread where someone had found a loose wire nut on the wire for the reverse sense switch. So I go out and check it, and sure-nuff, thats the problem.
Ok, this is a what I am talking about! Way to go!

....anybody else??

·
Registered
2,581 Posts
LD,

My uber tool kits saved the day on several occasions with previous bikes (broken chain link, seized engine, bad ignition points, etc.). A Suzuki and a Yamaha.

I'm sure one will save the day on my KLR some time.

However, I've now traveled 250,000 miles on 2 Gold Wings and my ST1100 and haven't had to use hardly any tools on a trip. I still pack a few extra tools (not really an uber tool kit) when I travel, mainly from habit, I guess.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts