GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Ouch. another insur claim. Years ago I worked on cars, there was a guy there came over from a fast oil change shop. He dropped the oil and filter, put a filter on, lowered the vehicle and hooked it up to a diagnostic computer and ran it for about 1o min until the engine siezed up. He then pulled the dip stick, saw it was empty and filled it up with oil. He still works there as far as I can tell. I went back to working on motorcycles.

·
Registered
1,244 Posts
I thought it was going to be a video showing something like I saw at the local Walmart last week. I parked my car and when walking across the parking lot I noticed a trail of clean oil. I followed the trail to the enter side of the bay then followed it the other way to the exit side of the bay. It appears someone either left the drain plug out or the filter loose or off the vehicle all together.

·
Dangerous Old Lady Biker
5,677 Posts
I saw a big truck do that at at the oil change of a truck stop...they are all over!!!scary world we live in! It's a miracle we get home most of the time!

·
Registered
159 Posts
Thats a BIG aw-sh*t!

·
Registered
4,439 Posts
I know a guy that took a 3 month old Ford diesel truck to the local Ford dealer for an oil change along with some other work. When he went to pick up his truck the owner of the Ford dealership said you have a slight problem. The kid changing the oil put in 14 gallons of oil instead of 14 quarts. The motor was toast because it hydro/locked. Then the dealer tried telling the customer it was his problem. After a few months with lawyers and Ford Motor Company involved he got a new truck. To repair it was going to cost him over $20,000.

·
Registered
314 Posts
I just took my wifes new Subaru in for its second oil change. I caught them draining the transmission oil. Then he tried to convince me that even though the book calls for DEX 3, the transmission would work better if I let him put in DEX 5.
I made sure to have them sign a statement acknowledging what they had done.

Richl

W

·
0 Posts
Don't all oil change outfits have a steel grid on the floor to prevent this from happening??

·
Registered
747 Posts
this is exactly why id all the oil changes on my 3 work trucks, my car, my motorcycle and my girlfriends car, it is done right.

·
Registered
1,319 Posts
Wi_Winger said:
Don't all oil change outfits have a steel grid on the floor to prevent this from happening??
Those grates are to keep people from falling in, they won't support the weight of a car.

What I thought was priceless in this clip is the driver actually was accelerating as he/she was falling in. The car didn't stop until the bumper hit the far end of the pit!

Ten or twelve years ago, I was the shop manager at a nationwide truckstop chain location. I got a call from the evening manager one night saying a driver had just drove his left front steer tire into the pit. No one guided him in, he just took it upon himself to pull in the shop because he wanted to save a trip into the service counter. It was the graveyard shift and we weren't busy, so we let him make his own arraingements for a tow truck to come out and lift the front end back out of the hole. lol. :lol: Then we guided him over the pit and charged him for an oil change, hub oiler, labor to install it, etc. Some people's children. :roll:

·
Registered
5,252 Posts
A neighbor had his drain plug cross threaded....... It took a while but they paid for an oil pan on his engine

·
Registered
2,336 Posts
me 2

I just bought a used pickup truck 2002, it was overfilled by about 1 1/2 quarts. I drained the new oil out and installed the mixture of my choice to the proper level, truck sounds much better now.

·
Registered
49 Posts
I had my car serviced at the local dealer a couple of years ago. When I arrived to pick it up I was told to wait while they bring it around and give it a quick wash. I watched as the car jockey drove the car into the garage, he then turned into the car wash bay and accelerated into the brick wall in the back of the bay. The crash was so loud everything in the shop stopped and went dead silent after the impact.

They told me they would fix everything but I would need to rent a car for a few days.....eventually I left with one of their loaners while they fixed the damage. That car was never quite the same.

·
Registered
2,433 Posts
Re: me 2

JD said:
I just bought a used pickup truck 2002, it was overfilled by about 1 1/2 quarts. I drained the new oil out and installed the mixture of my choice to the proper level, truck sounds much better now.
Wait a minute. Do you mean to tell me that if four quarts is good, six quarts isn't better :?: Man, if I'd known that, I wouldn't have let Bulldog sell me so much oil :!: :lol: :lol:

·
Registered
503 Posts
I pulled into a Honda cycle shop to have them check my battery. The kid in the shop drove my bike in and 20 minutes later he came out into the service waiting area to tell me my bike was ready. I asked him if the battery was ok and he told me he never checked the battery. He told me all he does in the shop is change oil. Turns out he changed oil on the wrong bike. As it turned out the battery was ok. Gotta love a free oil change.

·
Registered
300 Posts
oil change

i worked at a jiffy lube in town when i got out of high school
and the were rules one never broke. and one of those rules was to never ever under any circumstances just reach into the car to start it up you had to sit in and close the door.
as some cars will sart in gear and if they are feul injected they will drive right through the door made of glass panes and drive down the hill in back of the shop with some dumb kid running after it trying to stop it and it hits a bunch of trees ..

dont ask me how i know lol :oops:

·
Registered
589 Posts
Mr. Goodwrench?

I was at the Chevy dealer in Bloomington, IN and was at the service desk. A mechanic had just jumped into an Astro and had the engine reved high. When the transmission engaged. the two foot gap to an expensive Snap-On tool chest took a micro second. The tool chest was destroyed and the front of the van had that "distressed " look. I was immediately ushered out of the service area. Bet the owner was told a BS story on how that happened.

The local Chrysler dealer had a mini van out back. It appears an employee took the car out for quite a joy ride. Panties and empty beer cans filled the backend along with the broken seats. The entire side of the car and left front end were caved in. Dealer told the owner we are needing some time for special parts to service the engine. The owner went out back and saw her car. The dealer's plan to jury rig a basically totaled vehicle fell through. Chrysler said they would fixit if no litigation or admission of wrong doing. case ended up in court and the dealer "bought" the new replacement and paid off all the outstanding balance and interest charges on the wrecked vehicle plus legal fees and rental car charges.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts