GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 51 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
727 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How often to change the oil in a GL1800???

I've heard every 4000 and I've heard some do at 6000.

Inquiring minds want to know!!!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
499 Posts
Oil and filter every 4,000 miles. I use Honda GN-4.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,375 Posts
Every 5,000 increment on the odometer.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
95 Posts
what the hell kinda question is this, al? come over here to start trouble, eh? ;)

seriously, i'd use a quality synthetic oil (amsoil from patb preferably) and change it every 8k per the manual. now if you want to go per the amsoil recommendation, change it every 16k. i still have a mental block about that, but i just changed the oil in the wing and i'm going to run some tests on the oil at 8k and see if it's still good enough to run another ?? miles. we'll see.

have you fully recovered from the flc2c? hehe.

jason
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5,528 Posts
Every 5,000 along with the filter. I am now using Honda GN4, 10W30. I have used two different Syn. oils and I cannot tell any difference at all with the Honda oil. JMHO>

Of course I keep my hands on the handlebars and have no wobble problems yet either. 53,000 miles... :wink: :wink:
 

·
Road Warrior
Joined
·
1,322 Posts
8000-12000 depending on what type of riding and when I get home. Mobil 1 15-50 since 3500 miles. Bike now has 127,000 miles.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
7,425 Posts
motorcyclemom40 said:
8000-12000 depending on what type of riding and when I get home. Mobil 1 15-50 since 3500 miles. Bike now has 127,000 miles.
So, every-other month, right?
 

·
Road Warrior
Joined
·
1,322 Posts
Arn Butt Bill said:
motorcyclemom40 said:
8000-12000 depending on what type of riding and when I get home. Mobil 1 15-50 since 3500 miles. Bike now has 127,000 miles.
So, every-other month, right?
Right now it is running once, sometimes twice a month :D
The month of May had 3 oil changes.

Good thing Hal gave me a case of filters at the Hoot breakfast
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
8,255 Posts
FLC2C_Cruzn'AL said:
How often to change the oil in a GL1800???

I've heard every 4000 and I've heard some do at 6000.

Inquiring minds want to know!!!
Whatever it says in the Owners Manual!!!

Inquiring minds read the manual!!! :wink:

First change: 1 month or 4,000 miles.
Then every 8,000 miles after that.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
358 Posts
Oil and filter every 3000 miles. I use GN-4 and Honda filters.

I have used this strategy for nearly 50 years on every engine I've owned. Never a single issue. I like the new synthetics but they do little more, if anything, for contaminate build up over std oils. Having built many engines in my day, I find its the contaminates (sludge) that typically do the damage. Never found a clean engine yet with lubricant related damage. So I used the std stuff and change often. Any savings or added cost is mice nuts so it ain't about the money. Admittedly it takes more time over the course of a year, but I like the results.

If I were running at Indy, I'd probably have a different opinion on the properties of the oil itself... but I don't so I won't.

One man's perspective.....
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
7,425 Posts
motorcyclemom40 said:
Arn Butt Bill said:
motorcyclemom40 said:
8000-12000 depending on what type of riding and when I get home. Mobil 1 15-50 since 3500 miles. Bike now has 127,000 miles.
So, every-other month, right?
Right now it is running once, sometimes twice a month :D
The month of May had 3 oil changes.

Good thing Hal gave me a case of filters at the Hoot breakfast
You're a hoot.
I don't think I ever did more than 12000 miles in one month.
 
1 - 20 of 51 Posts
Top