GL1800Riders Forums banner

How often to do you change final drive gear oil?

• Every 5,000 miles or less

Votes: 5 17.9%
  • Every 10k miles or less

Votes: 7 25.0%
  • Every 20k miles or less

Votes: 9 32.1%
  • Every 30k miles or less

Votes: 3 10.7%
  • More than 30k miles or never

Votes: 4 14.3%

• Total voters
1 - 20 of 64 Posts

·
Banned
8,221 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I change mine every other oil change, or approximately every 7,500 miles. How often do you change yours?

·
Registered
386 Posts
I change mine every other oil change as well, except I use synthetic motor oil so my intervals are a little further apart. Also use synthetic in the rear end.

·
SuperModerator
3,380 Posts
Every other oil change, so at most every 15,000 miles.

Glen

·
Registered
5,255 Posts
Since you have to by it by the quart, and only use a very little bit of it. I change it pretty often. The bottle is on the shelf, so I might as well use it.

·
Registered
1,552 Posts
The service manual says every 24,000. If it makes you feel good, do it sooner. Just a thought , how often do you change it in your cars?

·
Banned
1,766 Posts
The service manual says every 24,000. If it makes you feel good, do it sooner. Just a thought , how often do you change it in your cars?
Just what I was thinking. I mean, it is not contaminated by gasoline and other contaminants like engine oil. The stuff you pour in it is pretty much the same stuff you pour out of it later on.

I wonder if there has ever been a case where someone's final drive unit went bad because the oil in it was changed by the book recommendations? I myself doubt it.

·
Registered
114 Posts
I purchased my 01 new, changed the rear oil @ the 600 mile recommended interval. Replaced the original
with Amsoil, been in there since then. The Wing has 230,000 miles, and still going! BTW, replaced the
waterpump @ 185k, had the brushs replaced at that time also. The Wrench said they would have lasted
another 100k.

Harold

·
Registered
5,255 Posts
Just what I was thinking. I mean, it is not contaminated by gasoline and other contaminants like engine oil. The stuff you pour in it is pretty much the same stuff you pour out of it later on.

I wonder if there has ever been a case where someone's final drive unit went bad because the oil in it was changed by the book recommendations? I myself doubt it.
I know this is like the apples and oranges thing, but when I worked at the KW dealership, I saw a lot of differential failures from neglecting to change gear oil. Usually attributed to the high pressure additives being used up.
Just because the oil looks good, does not mean that the additives in it are not depleted.
You should also consider that the final drive is vented to atmosphere and even though the vent is supposed to prevent entry of contaminants, it is still low on the chassis and is exposed to all of the elements.

·
Registered
1,817 Posts
I change mine at every oil change using synthetic so every 8000 mile the final drive oil always looks clean but the magnetic plug always has a dark sludge, am sure you could let it go till the recommended miles, but it makes me feel good to change

·
Registered
1,552 Posts

·
Registered
1,148 Posts
I began the routine of changing it with tire changes. Once you get it on the lift then it is easier and that is usually around 12k depending on tire wear.

·
Registered
1,969 Posts
The mileage varies for me. I might not ride it for up to 5 month/yr and it might get below freezing in my garage a couple of times every winter so it gets changed with the oil before hand to remove any condensation/moisture from the riding season.

·
Registered
332 Posts
My original Final Drive had the oil changed out with the prescribed Honda Gear Lube every 10,000 miles. That final drive went out at 101,000 miles. The big bearing was making a real racket. My replacement, a brand new trike take off went on filled (4 ounces) with Castrol Synthetic Gear Lube. It's never been changed in 100,000 miles and there's no noise or even hint of a problem. Now that I've bragged on it it will lock up in the parking lot before I get to the end of the drive now.......LOL

·
Registered
3,537 Posts
Good point, but I do change the Trans. & Diff. Oil in my Cars every 50,000 Miles.

The reason I do the bike more often is;
(1) It is already on the Lift.
(2) Gear Lube is Cheap
(3) The gears are smaller than those in the car, and generally, I am pulling the Trailer on my Vacations.

·
Banned
8,221 Posts
Discussion Starter #18

There is a lot of friction of parts and metal on metal, which even when lubricated, will wear and contaminate the oil. Any time gears are rubbing against each other there is bound to be some shedding of metal particles that will end up in the oil. Left unchanged, thos metal particles become abrasives. At least that's my theory.

·
Registered
1,090 Posts
I do not understand some that will change the engine oil by the book (8,000 miles) but change the diff. in 1/3 the recommended mileage. To me, the engine oil change would be the one I would change early if I had to choose. Having said that, I change both early. My engine oil is changed using Mobil 1 4T syn. at 5,000 and the final drive once a yr., usually 8-10,000 miles, using Mobil 1 75-90 syn. Maybe overkill but it is the way I have always done it. So far so good.

·
Registered
115 Posts
Too much

My mechanic change both oils every 4,000 mile. He doesn't charge any more in labor or parts, but he told me it's better to do it since the bike is up on the lift.

1 - 20 of 64 Posts