GL1800Riders Forums banner

How often to do you change final drive gear oil?

• Every 5,000 miles or less

Votes: 5 17.9%
  • Every 10k miles or less

Votes: 7 25.0%
  • Every 20k miles or less

Votes: 9 32.1%
  • Every 30k miles or less

Votes: 3 10.7%
  • More than 30k miles or never

Votes: 4 14.3%

• Total voters
21 - 40 of 64 Posts

·
Registered
6,923 Posts
Wow...some people really obsess over things that have little to no effect on the outcome.

Every 5K miles? Really? I somewhat understand (although I don't agree with) the people that live up north and park their bikes for 3-6 months at a time that they might want to have clean fluids in before storing but I think everyone else is just being wasteful.

Anyone actually ride more than 24K miles a year and still change it out at double the prescribed interval or more?

My theory is that some people ride a lot, and some people over maintain, but rarely do people that over maintain really ride that much. There are always exceptions but I believe most people riding 2K a month don't have time to over maintain.

Just my theory.....

·
Registered
6,923 Posts
I purchased my 01 new, changed the rear oil @ the 600 mile recommended interval. Replaced the original
with Amsoil, been in there since then. The Wing has 230,000 miles, and still going! BTW, replaced the
waterpump @ 185k, had the brushs replaced at that time also. The Wrench said they would have lasted
another 100k.

Harold
Nice story...confirms what I believe that the final drive failure has more to do with other issues than whether or not the final drive oil is fresh or not.

One question....where did you get the idea that the first final drive oil change was 600 miles. I've never seen or heard that before and am pretty sure it's not in my manual. I have 6K on my new one now and hadn't planned to change it until the 24K service.

·
Registered
2,440 Posts
2 to 3 times a year. It's been 3 this year so far. Generally every other oil change. (6-8K)

·
Registered
391 Posts
Changed every fluid on the bike last summer, except final drive and front forks....
want to do the forks soon, final drive probably will do around 50k miles

·
Registered
128 Posts
I change my rear oil exponentially. i.e.

etc

I found the first three rear-oil changes the oil was clouded with debris from break in. After that the fluid was always clear.

And every 200,000 I change the rear end itself.

·
Registered
1,011 Posts
How often do you change your differential lube in your car ? Most would say " I can't remember, if ever ". This fluid change on the Wing is overboard. But just for heck of it, I change my out every year.

·
Registered
6,923 Posts
How often do you change your differential lube in your car ? Most would say " I can't remember, if ever ". This fluid change on the Wing is overboard. But just for heck of it, I change my out every year.
Yeah....but when was the last time you heard of a car differential failing under normal use.

I think 5-10k changes are nuts but it's not a car either so the factory recommendation of 24k seems reasonable.

·
Registered
4,769 Posts
About every second or third oil/filter change.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Nice story...confirms what I believe that the final drive failure has more to do with other issues than whether or not the final drive oil is fresh or not.

One question....where did you get the idea that the first final drive oil change was 600 miles. I've never seen or heard that before and am pretty sure it's not in my manual. I have 6K on my new one now and hadn't planned to change it until the 24K service.
Had to do some research on this, been 12 years ago. At 73 my memory sometimes fails me, when I
get to the door of the bathroom I can't remember if I'm going in or coming out! :joke: The dealership
it was purchased from also had Suzuki which recommended the first service @ 600 miles. They
recommended it for Honda also. That's my story, and I'm sticking to it! :eek:4:

Harold

·
Registered
5,255 Posts
I have the dealer change it every time I change tires... usually around 14,000 miles.
That makes a lot of sense!
You are already there and the tire is out of the way making it easier to place a catch pan in place. Good idea!

·
Registered
2,690 Posts
How often do you change yours?
First at time of delivery or when I get it home, I doilt then too. Then after 30,000 or so give or take. There is nothing to ruin the oil in teh rear end,no blow by etc so it doesnt wear out like engine oil does. The tiny bit of hydrocarbens that get by the rings is what wears engine oil out.

21 - 40 of 64 Posts