GL1800Riders Forums banner

How often to do you change final drive gear oil?

• Every 5,000 miles or less

Votes: 5 17.9%
  • Every 10k miles or less

Votes: 7 25.0%
  • Every 20k miles or less

Votes: 9 32.1%
  • Every 30k miles or less

Votes: 3 10.7%
  • More than 30k miles or never

Votes: 4 14.3%

• Total voters
41 - 60 of 64 Posts

·
Registered
6,923 Posts
First at time of delivery or when I get it home, I doilt then too. Then after 30,000 or so give or take. There is nothing to ruin the oil in teh rear end,no blow by etc so it doesnt wear out like engine oil does. The tiny bit of hydrocarbens that get by the rings is what wears engine oil out.
Why at time of delivery? Are you worried it wasn't filled correctly from the dealer or is it something else? If you are worried about it not being done correctly, do you change all your fluids when you get home or just that one?

·
Registered
7,040 Posts
I did mine every other oil change, 10,000mi and I still had to replace the rear drive @ 80,000+! I will change the Drive, when it leaks for now on!!!!!!!!!!!!

·
Registered
1,183 Posts
For anyone looking to change their rear drive lube....find a screw on pump cap. The end gizmo is only on there for storage. I remove it and put the open hose into the hole.

·
Registered
2,041 Posts
For anyone looking to change their rear drive lube....find a screw on pump cap. The end gizmo is only on there for storage. I remove it and put the open hose into the hole.

Pretty cool, where did you find it?

I used to think changing at 24k was overkill, but it always comes out dark so I 'm reconsidering a shorter interval. The oil may not be toast , but it sure is carrying a lot of contaminants in suspension .

·
Registered
6,000 Posts
every other oil change

·
Registered
212 Posts
Pretty cool, where did you find it?

I used to think changing at 24k was overkill, but it always comes out dark so I 'm reconsidering a shorter interval. The oil may not be toast , but it sure is carrying a lot of contaminants in suspension .
That pump looks just like the pump I bought at the boat store (it's use to force stern drive oil which is filled from the bottom of the stern drive... when the oil comes out the top, you know you are done). Should work pretty darn good for the final drive oil on a Gold Wing.

·
Registered
4,913 Posts
Because of this thread I went and changed my final drive oil. It has been 31,456 miles since I put Supertech gear oil in it. I replaced that with Honda gear oil today. The oil that came out looked and felt great. One thing I learned is to continue with the Supertech. I paid more for a 8 oz bottle of Honda than I did for a qt of Supertech. I only have about 2 oz of the Honda left so I only got 1 change out of it. I'll probably do it again around 100,000 miles.

·
Registered
19,895 Posts
I figure I have changed the rear end oil on my 02 about every 35K miles. This is my third shaft drive bike, and the first one I have ever changed the gear oil on. I don't know where you guys are coming up with sludge in your gear cases. Sludge is a combustion byproduct. Even with my lengthy change intervals, I have never seen anything unusual wrong with the oil. No metal shavings, No sludge. No nothing.

I don't believe in these recreational gear oil changes. The only thing that has ever gone wrong with these rear ends is the bearing that grenades. And based on a survey that was done a few years back, those with failures changed their oil frequently. The bearings are not failing due to bad oil. They are simply cheap, defective bearings. With the mileage history this model has seen, we have never read of any reports of excessive gear wear, which is what you would see if oil was a problem. And you can be certain that there are thousands of riders that never change that oil for the life of the bike.

Most rear wheel drive cars, and cars with manual transmissions never get an oil change for the life of the vehicle. I don't even think there is a recommended interval for most cars. Yet you rarely read of a failure of one of those components with 4 wheeled vehicles. It's the same type of oil, and the same environment.

Now, it is true that there is very little oil in there, and it's cheap. And it sure is a lot easier to change our gear oil than in a car. So for maintenance sake, there certainly isn't anything wrong with changing it once in awhile, (except for the few gorillas that have snapped that cheap pot metal cap.) My point is, go ahead and do it if it makes you feel better. But don't be so certain that you are extending the life of your final drive. You are probably doing something that has no effect on longevity.

·
Registered
1,003 Posts
Since you have to by it by the quart, and only use a very little bit of it. I change it pretty often. The bottle is on the shelf, so I might as well use it.
Same here Jerry.

I keep my filters, oil, and diff fluid in the same area so it's only natural to grab all of them when it's time. I epoxy a short length of RC fuel tubing to a 60cc syringe to fill the diff. Quick, clean, and easy!

Piece of mind is a great thing when you're zipping down the road....

Best Regards.

·
Banned
27 Posts
I change mine every other oil change, or approximately every 7,500 miles. How often do you change yours?
This is a very intresting thread. There is such a small amount of lube in the final drive that one thinks, or at least I thought that since the amount of lube is so little that it should be changed as often as the engine oil. The owners manuel that comes with the GL1800 recommends changing final drive gear lube at 24K. I purchased my bike new in March of 2001. I changed my gear oil about every 6-10k. Thinking if I keep fresh lube in there it will prevent a final drive failure. My drive went away at 133K. I have 16K on the replacement. I will change the lube at 24K . What I am saying here if you are still with me, is you can change your final drive lube as often as you like, you will most likely have a failure. I would go ahead and get a nice shiney new take off final drive from some where. Since you have the time look and try to get one with the rotor and caliper w/ brake pads. like i did. I got a complete final drive with 10 miles on it. I bet you cant guess who installed it for me ?

·
Registered
5,002 Posts
every other change and beginning of season it gets replaced....

Ronnie

·
Registered
1,424 Posts
I change mine with every oil change. Use synthetic for the engine and rear drive. Probably takes an extra 10 min to dos so, since all the tools are already out.

·
Registered
255 Posts
I change mine at the nearest oil change that comes before 24000 miles; usually 22000-24000 miles. Changing it more often will not make it last longer according to Honda.

·
Registered
2,142 Posts
I know this is like the apples and oranges thing, but when I worked at the KW dealership, I saw a lot of differential failures from neglecting to change gear oil. Usually attributed to the high pressure additives beiainedang used up.
Just because the oil looks good, does not mean that the additives in it are not depleted.
You should also consider that the final drive is vented to atmosphere and even though the vent is supposed to prevent entry of contaminants, it is still low on the chassis and is exposed to all of the elements.
Maintained FD in my 04 to the "T", drive [email protected] 40K??? gofigure??? replaced w an 010 00mi, always used Mobil 1 75-90 Syn.
I have an 08 FD 00mi sitting on the shelf waiting for the 010 to croak.. :(

·
Registered
2,932 Posts
Gears run in oil, not a real rigorous life, not like pistons and rings. Bearing failure seems to be the main cause of failure, and changing oil more than recommended is doing zero for that. I change every 20,000 miles, but even changing never would not change the failure rate in my opinion at least. Ford F350 in 1997 recommended never change the fluid, and I haven't, yet others change fluid every 1000 miles and both methods do nothing to change the fact bearings and seals go bad eventually.

41 - 60 of 64 Posts