GL1800Riders Forums banner

How often to do you change final drive gear oil?

• Every 5,000 miles or less

Votes: 5 17.9%
  • Every 10k miles or less

Votes: 7 25.0%
  • Every 20k miles or less

Votes: 9 32.1%
  • Every 30k miles or less

Votes: 3 10.7%
  • More than 30k miles or never

Votes: 4 14.3%

• Total voters
61 - 64 of 64 Posts

·
Outta Here by M2
1 Posts
I change mine every other oil change. When it's on the lift, I change it while the engine oil finishes draining. I worked for 35 years, building and maintaining industrial automation and have seen and tested more oil and bearings than most riders. If you think 100K is fine without changing, drain the fluid and have it analyzed. You'll find no wear additives left and all sorts of contamination. I've been responsible for equipment, where 1 hour of downtime would be worth a couple of new Wings. Imagine telling your boss, or his boss, that you saved some time and money by not changing oil on a $400,000 compressor. Some of our oil was $60 a gallon and to 20 gallons to change out!

How does this relate to Wings? Late night, lonely road, no cell service, and the rear drive goes out. Add a cold rain. Add a mad wife on the back. How much is the fluid change worth? Sure, it will never happen, but would you like to explain it, if it ever did.

My dad, rest his soul, taught me one lesson when I got my first bicycle. OIL IS CHEAPER THAN MACHINERY. I got tired of hearing it, but found it to be one of the best lessons I ever learned.

John

·
Registered
305 Posts
I bought my Wing at 30K miles and changed the final drive oil at that time. It was kind of murky looking. Anyway I changed it again yesterday at 40K and the fluid was clean as when put in (at least appeared so). I use Valvoline GL5 80w-90 fluid. By this one could probably go longer w/o changing but since it is SO easy and only take 4-5 ounces; why not change it during regular oil service? So for me, I will continue to do every other oil change...

Reactions: Wingwinder

·
Registered
848 Posts
I change my engine oil every 5,000 miles on the 5s and 0s and the final drive oil on the 5's or every 10,000 miles. I use Mobile One synthetic.

·
Registered
848 Posts
My dad, rest his soul, taught me one lesson when I got my first bicycle. OIL IS CHEAPER THAN MACHINERY. I got tired of hearing it, but found it to be one of the best lessons I ever learned. John
Your dad taught you well. Thanks for sharing.

61 - 64 of 64 Posts