GL1800Riders Forums banner
21 - 40 of 53 Posts
4K just did first oil change. I never done it. I paddle shift 100% of the time. Never use the AT function. Am I missing something?
Captain Jim, I’m the total opposite. I’ve never used the manual mode on my DCT. I’ve pulled the clutch & shifted my HD for 23yrs. Once I got used to the DCT I fell in love! I still ride my Hog & I love it too but there’s no ride like a GW. I do CI if I feel shifts get a little “clunky”. 25K miles & I’ve done it 4-5 times. I can tell a difference each time. Smooths the shifts.
I’m an old guy (65) so maybe that has a lot to do with it. 😎
Ride safe! KC

Captain Jim, I’m the total opposite. I’ve never used the manual mode on my DCT. I’ve pulled the clutch & shifted my HD for 23yrs. Once I got used to the DCT I fell in love! I still ride my Hog & I love it too but there’s no ride like a GW. I do CI if I feel shifts get a little “clunky”. 25K miles & I’ve done it 4-5 times. I can tell a difference each time. Smooths the shifts.
I’m an old guy (65) so maybe that has a lot to do with it. 😎
Ride safe! KC
I'm an old guy too at 70. I had a FJR 1300 a few years back with the paddle shifter and loved it. So after that bike I just paddle this one the same, just 2 more gears. I could have bought a 6 speed but I have an issue with my left hand that one day will keep me from pulling the clutch.

I bought my bike with 8,800 miles it and have never done this until this morning after reading this thread. Too bad it’s so hot or I would go out and see if it made any difference. The bike always shifted well previously.

No, you're not the only one. I noticed no difference after the only time I did it and have felt no need to do it again. Makes me wonder how badly the bikes shifted if there is a felt difference after every time its done.
Well it would seem to me, if your doing it when your trans is shifting properly, then you wouldn't see a difference. It should be that you only see a difference when the trans is not acting the way it should.....

Rarely, because when I think to do it, I can't remember how.
I carry a little "Info card" in the trunk as I'm getting old and can't even remember my wife's name........ :unsure:
I'd put it on my phone but forget where it was with all the damn apps.

• Oil warmed up
  • Lock rear wheel (Parking brake)
  • Ignition off
  • Hold down D-switch and turn on ignition
  • Wait until Engine MIL indicator goes out then let go of D-switch
  • 2D, 1N, 1D, 1N (Drive and Neutral Button sequence)
  • Start motorcycle
  • Initialization process automatically starts
  • Completion indicated by N-indicator and Tour mode
  • Turn off bike to save

Discussion starter · #40 ·
Based on comments and while trapped in the garage yesterday by the rain and with the bike being at temperature I went ahead and did the clutch initialization. Only took a few seconds, I hope to ride tomorrow if this rain ever stops. I'm starting a road tour from Northern KY to Gettysburg and then on to ride the Blue Ridge Parkway and Maggie Valley then home.
Bill

21 - 40 of 53 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.