GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
584 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Today, at about 9am, I pulled my Wing, F6B and the Bushtec over to my wash rack. I use an electric pressure washer, about 600 PSI, and hot water, roughly 120 at the source which is 75 feet away. Took me over 4 hours to rinse, wash, hand wash, dry (BR600 Stihl Blower) then detail the small stuff. A lot of stooping, bending, stretching, dropping ****, picking **** up. WOW, I'm beat. Finished at about 4:30pm, but they do look nice. ...coffee break, lunch break, beer break ... any break that makes me feel better. I do the "big wash" about once a month.

·
Registered
228 Posts
The only time I wash my bike is after getting caught in the rain that was about a year ago. I always wipe my bike down with Honda wax or DuPont wax both in a can and always get compliments about how clean my bike is and when I wax it I spend about 20 mins and she is done and clean as a whistle.

·
Registered
59 Posts
I so the same, but after every bigger ride(hiway or over a hour long). I find it actually takes less time to do it more often.

·
Registered
2,971 Posts
I regularly wipe mine down with Honda cleaner and microfiber towel. Maybe every 1-2 months go down to the car wash and give the bike a good washing. Mostly to clean the rims of brake dust. The local car wash has spot free rinsing and blow driers available and do an excellent job..... about $7-8 on average. Takes about 20 minutes including the ride to and from the car wash.

Windshield, dash and mirrors get cleaned before every ride using plexus.

·
Registered
626 Posts
I try to ride every Sunday, at least 200 miles. When all my other chores are complete on Saturday, I check the air pressure, check the oil, and wash the bike. Now I am ready to ride and get it dirty all over again Sunday and the rest of the week

·
Registered
102 Posts
whew, after reading the OP I thought “I can never admit how often I wash my GW. After reading the reply’s I feel better. The truth is; my motorcycles have always been riders, not show bikes. When I leave the house I take the Wing unless there is a serious weather problem. I usually walk to the garage with a wet microfiber towel in one hand and a dry microfiber towel in the other. I use the wet one to wipe the bugs off, the other to dry it off, and go. (Ok, sometimes I just go).

I have a kinda cheap electric power washer that I use to give it a kinda decent wash about once a month. I appreciate the comments about products that can be used to give it a quick once-over cleaning. I will look for something like that. :)

·
Registered
16,984 Posts
I try to get it rinsed off before hard winter and I rinse it lightly before doing any service that has me taking body panels off. Wind screen gets cleaned once in a while. So, its usually dirty, but that is OK with me.

prs

·
Registered
109 Posts
I spray wax my windshield and bike after each ride which takes ~ 5 minutes. Very fast and simple. No wheels though. I do a thorough wash at least once a year and sometimes more if I get caught in a rain storm. I use car wash soap in a spray bottle and rinse with hose nozzle. Then use my plug in blower to blow dry. Washing takes ~ 1 hour. I keep it simple.

·
Premium Member
1,828 Posts
I'll wash mine tomorrow because of the mud from my ride to the snow line for lunch. The rest of the time, it's Lemon Pledge, one micro fiber cloth to wipe it down with and a second to buff her up after. If she's been really good, I'll fluff and buff with Plexus.

Reactions: Hoopdc

·
Registered
1,422 Posts
I wash mine eery month or so. Recently began using a bottle wax I really like (autoproshine), bought at the last Wing Ding. Just ordered two more, quart bottles yesterday, as I have been using it on every vehicle we own. Other waxes I have tried either left too much film, or were too difficult to wipe off. This stuff is the best I've tried so far. I am not a fanatic about keeping the GW nice and shiny, but this stuff makes it easier when I get a mood to do a bit of shining on it.

Reactions: WY88 and GLblinded

·
Registered
387 Posts
I live off a dirt Road, so a do it yourself car wash is the order before meeting with friends or long trips.

Reactions: JoeHall

·
Registered
478 Posts
This is exactly what I came here to write. Except I use the car wash down the street. I ride my bikes almost every day.

The truth is; my motorcycles have always been riders, not show bikes. When I leave the house I take the Wing unless there is a serious weather problem. I usually walk to the garage with a wet microfiber towel in one hand and a dry microfiber towel in the other. I use the wet one to wipe the bugs off, the other to dry it off, and go. (Ok, sometimes I just go).

I have a kinda cheap electric power washer that I use to give it a kinda decent wash about once a month.

·
Registered
2,691 Posts
Mine gets bathed by soft wash garden hose and terry cloth mitten once in a while :) big trips get service items attended to but because I run a windbender I don’t even need to clean the shield. I once thought gold wings where show material, even entered 1 in a bike show once. I’m better now, My therapist is awesome.0:)

·
Registered
5,994 Posts
WOW! After reading all the other remarks above, I must be the only "clean freak" on this board..............I wash my bike/trike after every ride, and everytime it rains I sit in my garage (put my head phones on/and rock out to led Zeppelin) and give her an attire wax job, top>bottom ...Even my rims are waxed... I even use Qtip's and get the very small areas, inside the words Honda, and Goldwing on the side of the cases... **I must have at least 8-10 coats of wax on her by now**

If i have close to 3000 miles on her I replace the oil & filter, If I'm planning on a very long trip, within that week ,I'll even change oil around the 1000 mile mark..

By the way, I am now retired and used to working at least 50-60 hours a week....I had a full time 40 hour a week job/ as well as a 24 hour/7 day a week heating and plumbing business, so I'm used to moving constantly.... So sitting around doing nothing, still get's to me so I have to keep moving.....BUT I LOVE RETIREMENT/THE BEST!

Ronnie

Reactions: Ozone1 and JoeHall

·
Registered
1,151 Posts
You guys are doing it all wrong. You need to let your wife wash the bike while you drink a beer. LOL

ROFL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

But I bet you ain't man enough to say that in front of her! LOL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

And how do I invoice you for a new computer screen, since mine NOW has coffee all over it?>:)

·
Registered
478 Posts
I would never use a power washer on by bike, way too easy to damage something
Nor would I. I use the prewash and foam to loosen the dirt, then use the pressure washer from several feet away. So it’s high volume, low pressure. Followed by spot free rinse, hand dry, then Pledge.
About 15 min

1 - 20 of 40 Posts