GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
1,883 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm sure this was a post once before, but how old are the oldest out there? I'm curious, are there many in the 70s? By chance 80s? I'm 58 and wondering how long I have left. I can still fly aircraft but flying the Wing up and down the interstates tangling with 18 wheelers is a lot harder than sitting back with the autopilot on and eating box lunches.

·
Registered
4,751 Posts
Turned 69 29 dec 06. Man if i had know i was going to live this long i would have taken better care of my self. :lol: :lol: :lol:

·
Registered
44 Posts
Not the oldest

I am not the oldest, but working on it. I am 62 1/2. My wife said that I am going through my 3rd
child hood. Hope I make it to my tenth. :D :D :D :D :D :D

·
Registered
1,144 Posts
wimpyhonda said:
Turned 69 29 dec 06. Man if i had know i was going to live this long i would have taken better care of my self. :lol: :lol: :lol:

68 Feb 26th.

We spend the first 50 years of our life trying to kill ourselves...then we spend the next 50 years trying just to stay alive! :shock: :lol: :lol:

·
Registered
49 Posts
We had a USMC Sgt Major retired riding on two wheels in our Blue Knight group that was about 83 years old as I remember him.

He downsized from a bigger bike to like a 750cc set up for touring. He had fought in three different wars.

·
Registered
411 Posts

We have ridden with an older guy for the past several years. Brings his girlfriend along when she's available, and rides like it was stolen. Usually rides his Wing, but I've also seen him on one of his Harleys, his Concours, or once on a sportbike. He has 32 bikes "at last count". He spends his winters in Phoenix, teaching the local boys how to ride the mountains.

He usually wins the "Oldest Rider" at the Poker Runs.

He just turned 84 last June. Looks like he's 64. Says riding keeps him young.

My hero.

·
Registered
368 Posts
One of the women in our Goldwing Chapter just downsized last year from her 1500 Goldwing to a 1100 Honda Shadow at the age of 80. We will be riding to the annual Yuma Prison Run with her again this year where she always wins the award for the oldest women riding to the event. She walks with a limp due to a motorcycle accident when she was in her 70's. She was racing another bike on the freeway and crashed at 120 mph. This women has amazing stories of stockcar racing in the 50's and 60's, old vintage Ariel's, and driving a taxi for 50+ years. A true inspiration.

·
Registered
454 Posts
WE GOT A MEMBER IN OUR BLUE KNIGHT CHAPTER THAT IS 83, AN FRED STILL MAKES MOST OF OUR BREAKFEST RIDES & DINNER RIDES / HE HAS A 03 WING AND HIS WIFE THATS YOUNGER THEN HIM HAS ONE TOO / HE'S A BETTER RIDER THEN GUYS HALF HIS AGE / THERES HOPE 4 ME I GUESS CAUSE I HOPE TO BE RIDING AT HIS AGE (I'M 52)

·
Registered
3,305 Posts
Well, I don't ride a Gold Wing anymore, but do tag along occasionally on my Silver Wing. I was 70 on 5-19-06. Not the oldest, but darn near!

Mesquite Bob

·
Registered
852 Posts
I'll be 59 in July of this year and just got my first Wing. Looks like I got some catchin up to do, but I'm in no hurry. I've been riding for 44 years and just got my Wing. That's a crying shame. :(
I got her now though. :D I have to say the the wife says no it's a boy cause it's got balls. :lol:

Truck

·
Registered
5,173 Posts
I'm waiting for Tom Finch to check in. He is likely the oldest regular on the forum, and also probably puts more miles on a motorcycle every year than anyone else. I think I know his age, but I'll hold off so as to not risk guessing wrong!

BTW, I'm 54 - no biggie. But my mom and dad are both 81 and both still play golf three times a week. I hope that bodes well for how long I'll be able to ride!

·
Registered
33 Posts
old age

I am 59, but had to tell this one. At breakfast with another goldwing triks rider recently, he is in his 70's, I asked him what he did with his other trike. He had sold it to a guy in the retirement area where I work, Sun City. The guy was in his early 90's. Said the guy liked it too.
It is not uncommon at all to find riders in their 70's. This one group has a guy in his mid 80's riding a silverwing.
You do see a lot of trike conversions however, due to weight and balance issues.

·
Registered
184 Posts
Oldest Gold Wing rider

I bought my first Gold Wing at Thrifty Ladd in Santa Monica in June 1975 and after six of them have reached 70 as of Oct 2006. I was an airline pilot for National and Pan Am before retiring from UAL and had a Gold Wing to ride the entire time they were available. In 1977 I commuted every trip on the Gl 1000 from Camarillo to LAX. What a great year. I currently live in Vero Beach, Fl and still ride every year back to CA because the riding west of the Rockies is the best in the country. It usually is a 9200 miles or greater trip. It takes me 3-4 days to get adapted to longe range riding before I am into a routine that I don't want to stop and just feel like riding forever. The cell phone has made it convenient to stay in touch with the family and the laptop to access the internet to send photos back at night and send emails to your buddy list. If you don't do this it is your fault for not making a decision. You will never regret the decision to see this great country and visit with its wonderful people.

·
Registered
152 Posts
How about the youngest GL1800 riders?

I am 36 - curious if any younger cats are on the big beast?

Thanks,
B 8)

·
Banned
4,623 Posts
69 coming up on a 100 !! Been riding since 1951 when I bought a Harley S model !! Motorcycles have been my primary transportation most of my life !! :lol:

JMHO 8)

1 - 20 of 49 Posts