GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 131 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey Guys, I just wanted to get a few responses to this question: How old were you when you got your first Goldwing?
I ask the question because I just bought my first wing, and Im not even 30 yet. Everyone always asks why somebody like me rides an "old man bike". And while I dont actually know of any other 20 somethings that own a Goldwing, I cant be the only one, can I?

Also, I thought this might trigger some nostalgia amongst the group.

·
Premium Member
848 Posts
In 1975 I was just 30 and I found a great deal on a used wing and brought it home. I have had more 5 since then and am pushing 3/4 million miles and I am a newbee compared to some on this board.

Ride and enjoy who cares and I'll bet you can dust almost anyone on a harley or any other V twin if you really wanted to.

MOST of the time wings get shifted about 3k but they will wind up a whole lot farther if you want to waste the gas.

·
Registered
806 Posts
Unfortunately I was dumb enough to sell by Honda CB when I was in college. Wife wouldn't let me have another bike until about 5 years ago. The day she said yes I was in a bit of a panic and quickly found a Honda VTX 1300 to purchase (before she changed her mind).

After a few years of learning (as well as some encouragement from my wife) I purchased my first 'wing at the age of 39 (that was about 3 months ago :)).

I wish I had been smarter sooner.

Congrats on the new bike. While you may not be able to do a stoppie like the kids on the CBR's or GSX-R's., it's only an old man's bike if you let it be :).

·
Registered
1,875 Posts

·
Registered
2,082 Posts
I got my first Wing, a 1978 model at the grand old age of 19. Wanted one from the time they first came out.

·
Registered
863 Posts
58 --bought it last month.

·
Registered
654 Posts
28- the wing aint the old man bike people present it to be. Give it a whirl in the twisties, take it to a track and see what it will do. I promise you, this thing can keep up with a lot of the sport bikes, with the right rider, it wll easily overtake a sportbike. I tell everyone mine is a sportbike, just that its got a weight issue. I'm considering getting a sticker for the trunk that says "I eat sport bikes for breakfast", but am afraid it would incite retaliation from sportbike riders in the form of street racing gestures and also possibly it may give the LEO the wrong idea about me. I enjoy riding leisurely, but I also enjoy getting aggresive and dropping it down to the footpegs when I'm on a twisty section and can safely do it. There is a time and place to ride fast or aggressive, in traffic or on the interstate is not the time.

·
Registered
1,368 Posts
Last year at the age of 51.

Yours will last til you get to be my age. :thumbup:

·
Registered
758 Posts
Bought my first wing at 52.

My 27 year old son rides an FZ1, he USED to think the GW was an "old mans bike" as well.............he's now ridden mine and no linger thinks it's an "old mans bike", he had a LOT of fun in the twisties and was SHOCKED by the power the wing has....He said........."it's not an FZ1 but it's very nice ride and a great handling bike" for something that big.

He also rode from Wichita Kansas to Deals Gap two months ago on his FZ1 and when he got there, he called me and said he had wished he'd done it on a wing and NOT the FZ, albeit he had more fun at the "Dragon" on his FZ than he would have on my wing.

I still think the wing is the Cadillac Eldorado of motorcycles.

·
Registered
1,188 Posts
49. My first motorcycle. I kick myself on a daily basis for not doing it sooner. Not everyone gets smarter as they get older. The really young Wing owners are proof of that.

1 - 20 of 131 Posts