GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
341 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My '02 GL1800 has had the trunk replaced due to a mishap with my niece's truck (she backed into my bike!).

Now, the trunk lid seems to sit unevenly on the trunk. It's just about closed down tight on the left side, but the ride side is up maybe 1/4" or a little more. I can't see anyplace to adjust this, like loosening and adjusting any fasteners anywhere.

Is there some way to adjust this so the gap is more even all the way around the trunk lid?

·
Registered
19,989 Posts
No, there really isn't any adjustment, although I adjusted mine for front to back spacing using washers as shims.

If you have a vertical alignment problem, I would suspect that one of the hinges got bent in your mishap.

They are too strong to bend in place. I would remove both of them and compare them side by side. Then bend them until they match.

·
15 year Member
6,868 Posts
Get some clear tubing and slide it through the rubber moulding and it will firm up the fit thus straighten your lid... use soapy water its easy, I did it!! also put some velcro(soft side) on the inside of yur trunklid to minimize the rubbing...

Matt(BCNV)

·
Registered
4,376 Posts
Get some clear tubing and slide it through the rubber moulding and it will firm up the fit thus straighten your lid... use soapy water its easy, I did it!! also put some velcro(soft side) on the inside of yur trunklid to minimize the rubbing...

Matt(BCNV)
Good ideas, all. So, you are not just another pretty face after all.

·
Registered
2,136 Posts
I read here I believe that sometimes the offset is caused by tightening the inner trunk lid down unevenly. Try loosening up the inner trunk lid screws and see if that changes the overall closure from the outside.

·
Registered
48 Posts
My '02 GL1800 has had the trunk replaced due to a mishap with my niece's truck (she backed into my bike!).

Now, the trunk lid seems to sit unevenly on the trunk. It's just about closed down tight on the left side, but the ride side is up maybe 1/4" or a little more. I can't see anyplace to adjust this, like loosening and adjusting any fasteners anywhere.

Is there some way to adjust this so the gap is more even all the way around the trunk lid?
One possibility that I've heard of is to loosen all of the screws on the inner trunk lid liner, slightly twist the trunk lid and retighten the screws.

One other possiblity is to install the WingRider Trunk Support System. Since it's adjustable, you can easily raise the side that needs to be raised a little without effecting the other side. It also provides an excellent means of supporting the trunk lid to reduce or eliminate the wear that typically occurs on the GL1800.

Phil

·
Registered
1,756 Posts
:thumbup:

·
Registered
1,306 Posts
Have your niece back into it from the other side this time. :lol:

·
15 year Member
6,868 Posts
Good ideas, all. So, you are not just another pretty face after all.
Its all gathered and tested advise from this, our beloved board!!

Matt(BCNV) :doorag:

·
Registered
2,581 Posts

Red,

Check out this thread:

http://gl1800riders.com/forums/showthread.php?t=160608&highlight=trunk+furniture

IHTH!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts