GL1800Riders Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Fire Eating Member
6,473 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
If anyone has an ideal on how to block the sun in your eyes while wearing a full face helmet with sheild.. I would like to hear about it.. sunglasses
just does not seem to do the job..

tia

cosmic

·
Registered
172 Posts
I imagine you've tried a smoke colored face shield, maybe in combination with the sun glasses.

Mike

·
Registered
1,650 Posts
Super-visor.com is definitely the answer. I have one on my HJC Symax flip-front and one on an Arai full-face. Both work great! Just make sure you know exactly where you want to place them before you stick 'em on. I worried that it might fly off in the wind - no way - they're there to stay.

·
Registered
1,105 Posts
I purchased a 1 inch strip of dark tint vinyl that is made specifically for your problem. Static holds it on and it can be removed for cleaning the shield and then re-applied. It's a sunshade product that I bought at Wing Ding in Nashville (about $12). Can't remember the brand name but they had two versions (Shoei and conventional lenses). Search the web for motorcycle helmet sun shields.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Sun Blocker

I know my fix is ugly as sin, but I put 2 strips of black elecrical tape on my face shield. One at the top and one at the bottom, each about one inch wide. If I am riding with the shield in the up position I can use that strip as a "bill" on the helmet, and if the shield is down, it still has sunblocking abilities. Works for me.

·
Registered
84 Posts
With a full face helmet take a strip of electricians tape and at the top of the face shield apply it. Then do another strip just below the previously applied strip. I've found depending on your helmet design and fit that two or three strips works with out any visual detriment. This works with the sun coming into your helmet at almost the horizon height. An LD Rider friend of mine told me about this and it works really slick. And the best part is it can be removed with out any problem and it does not look like your a geek who can't get his glasses fixed. try it I bet you'll like it.

·
Registered
1,650 Posts
Different kinds of tape will work, but instead of "looking like a geek who can't get his glasses fixed" you look like a geek who's too cheap to buy a Super-Visor.

·
Registered
1,118 Posts
Question to those who have used the Super-Visor. I ride with a HJC Symax helmet.
90% of the time I ride with the face shield raised, I like a little wind in my face and I only close the face shield if raining or very cold. The question I have is will the Supervisor work with the face shield in both open and close position? From the pictures on the web site it appears the shield can only be attached to work in one position, but not both.
At the present time I use the electrical tape trick on the bottom of the face shield. Usually when it is raining or very cold the sun is not an issue for the top of the shield when using it closed.

·
Registered
412 Posts
schuberth

schuberth helmet -- build in flip up/down sun visor -- absolutely love it -- bought it mostly for that reason.

enjoy the ride,
Royal

·
Registered
1,105 Posts
From the Helmet Sunblocker website - Our whole business was founded on the idea of the Helmet Sunblocker™. Now internationally known, the Helmet Sunblocker™ has become the pinnacle for many riders that have found motorcycle accessories that they feel they just could not live without.

Based on the idea of the ultraviolet ray (U.V.) protectant used on airplanes, the Helmet Sunblocker™ works effectively, is cheap to maintain and installs easily using only soap and water. Instead of looking through the Helmet Sunblocker™ your eyes are below it, keeping it in your upper peripheral vision. Eye doctors have attested that it does work effectively and your own eyes will tell you that it’s doing what it’s supposed to be doing.

Also, since you install the Helmet Sunblocker™ unobtrusively inside of your helmet, you will not have to worry about wind trying to blow it off. The Helmet Sunblocker™, installed properly, will not peel off unless you deliberately pull it off. In other words, it will not fall off in your face while you ride and it can be used over and over again in separate helmets with different face shields.

Your helmet will definitely stay cooler with a Helmet Sunblocker™ installed because less U.V. and other solar radiation can penetrate through. Once installed, you can’t help but notice the green, translucent material of this product but you will grow accustomed to it after several hours of riding. We guarantee that you will accept this new addition to your helmet as a welcomed friend, instead of hostile intruder.

"Tools" Needed:
1 Bowl of Water
1 Tablespoon Liquid Dishwashing Soap

·
Registered
1,650 Posts
Winginhunk - If I understand your question, no the Supervisor won't work with the face-shield in the up position.

·
Registered
222 Posts
Jobber Jim said:
I purchased a 1 inch strip of dark tint vinyl that is made specifically for your problem. Static holds it on and it can be removed for cleaning the shield and then re-applied. It's a sunshade product that I bought at Wing Ding in Nashville (about $12). Can't remember the brand name but they had two versions (Shoei and conventional lenses). Search the web for motorcycle helmet sun shields.
Ditto for me. Works great.

·
Registered
977 Posts
Fog City Pro Shield has a newer 20 mil 'photochromatic' OPTICAL grade polycarbonate to adhere to the entire inside of a full face shield. It's light reactive and rapidly changes, in 4 seconds, from 'pale green' to 'dark cobalt' in sunlight, then, rapidly returns to original, when the sun fades. It's UV blocking protective - and anti-fog.

The newer optical grade polycarbonate doesn't 'sparkle' oncoming headlights, at night.

The only problem that I had with a Fog City was accumulation of moist exhalation, inside a fully closed and poorly ventilated helmet, which caused water droplets to form and run down the inside of the face shield, from the top. I resorted to the face shield opened, one notch. This was NOT a fault of the Fog City, but the helmet. The Fog City repels inside 'fogging' from breathing. My Shoei RF 1000 is better ventilated.

Available at www.aerostich.com

·
Registered
1,118 Posts
Thank you Smitty, that's what I thought. If I get tired of the electrical tape method I might try one of those plastic films.

·
Registered
2,517 Posts
Wingin , I paint the bottom edge on my flip face 3/4 helment so it can be up and block the sun, it works great, on my full face I paint the top part, I use flat black paint just tape the area you do not want to paint off and put on several thin coats, lasts for years.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Super-visor

Have been using it for a year, works great, was worried about it when I raise the shield to either cool off or rain, it's hung on so far.

1 - 20 of 45 Posts