GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ANY IDEAS on how to carry the AC unit on an Apsen camper. I would like to but it in a try on the trailer tounge between the camper and the cooler. I ride a trike, so the tounge weight should not cause a problem.
ANY IDEAS??? BIG THANKS:bow:

·
Registered
8,038 Posts
I think that most put it in the rear of the storage area, and arrange the rest of the storage to accommodate. Putting it in the rear will lessen the tongue weight, in your case not a real big issue, but a good balanced trailer will also give best economy while pulling also.

·
Registered
487 Posts
I think that most put it in the rear of the storage area, and arrange the rest of the storage to accommodate. Putting it in the rear will lessen the tongue weight, in your case not a real big issue, but a good balanced trailer will also give best economy while pulling also.

Hey George

What tongue weight do you try to stay around when you are totally loaded with air conditioner and everything?

·
Registered
8,038 Posts
Hey George

What tongue weight do you try to stay around when you are totally loaded with air conditioner and everything?
Embarrassingly it is around 70 pounds...... but I have a Roll-A-Home though and it is a little heaver than the Aspin.....

·
Registered
178 Posts
We carry ours in the rear compartment sitting on a piece of dense foam rubber. We pulled it all loaded not a square inch to put anything with the bike. Now we have a trike so she can now tie stuff on top. She knows how to pack heavy.:shrug::shrug: what can I say, I love her.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Haven't figured How to modify canvass to accommodate ac unit, but try to hold tongue weight 41-45#s with my Ambassador. The ac unit will probly sit over axle during transport. Ride 2 wheels solo.

·
Registered
139 Posts
ANY IDEAS on how to carry the AC unit on an Apsen camper. I would like to but it in a try on the trailer tounge between the camper and the cooler. I ride a trike, so the tounge weight should not cause a problem.
ANY IDEAS??? BIG THANKS:bow:
We have a 5000 btu that we got at Wall Mart, It fits just right on top of the axle. He have room for a small piece of foam on top and bottom. This works out very well with the weight.

·
Registered
47 Posts
This is the second post I have read where people are hauling their AC units on top of a piece of foam. I was just going to set mine on the bottom of my roll a home cargo area floor. What is the reason for placing it on foam? Are they prone to damage from road vibrations?

·
Registered
336 Posts
This is the second post I have read where people are hauling their AC units on top of a piece of foam. I was just going to set mine on the bottom of my roll a home cargo area floor. What is the reason for placing it on foam? Are they prone to damage from road vibrations?

The air conditioner weighs about 40 pounds and is has steel on it, that will indeed vibrate and cause damage, to the trailer and the AC unit too I suspect.

·
Registered
4,227 Posts
I would suggest that you keep the AC unit in the trailer and out of the weather. The blower motor and controls aren't weather resistant, and can be damaged if they get wet.

·
Registered
714 Posts
I haven't bought an A/C unit for my Aspen yet; but plan on putting it inside. I don't know if I will be able to do that as I don't really have any room left. I thought when I bought the Aspen that I would have plenty of room. Ugh... I have to learn to pack better.

For some reason, I don't think you should put it on the tongue. I know the ice chest is up there already, but it seems like maybe too much stuff going on up in that area. I don't have a valid reason but maybe it is because I am not trying to think outside the box.

Good luck.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks

WELL, the ac unit will go into the trailer. with would be too much weight on the tounge with the ice chest. Just will have to pack better and less.
THANKS TO ALL :bow:

·
Registered
522 Posts
We use a carpet runner from Walmart, and we put it inside. Foam tends to give up to easy and the runner has a foam backing to keep it from slipping. Ours is an Ambassador and I have posted photos before on the forum, just do a search under camper improvments I think it was. The spouse made a velcro flap affair that works perfect and gets the A/C unit setting on the camper edge over the ice box. Made a sturdy wood and foam shelf to let it sit on, no vibrations for that little 5K unit. And the solid top on the camper sure helps keeping it cool..camped last weekend at the lake in 102 heat and it was cycling during the day and a comfy 78 inside day and meat hanging temp at night. Sure makes it hard to crawl back out. If ya can't find the pics I look them back up when I get back to the house tonight...our tongue weight is 40-50 #'s but we have larger tires and wheels installed with a tongue jack for ease of setting up..FYI

:thumbup:

·
Registered
1,510 Posts
Haven't figured How to modify canvass to accommodate ac unit, but try to hold tongue weight 41-45#s with my Ambassador. The ac unit will probly sit over axle during transport. Ride 2 wheels solo.
We didn't want to install the factory AC duct in the tent. Instead we bought a "nylon rain fly" at a camping store that was large enough to cover the entire door area. DW sewed velcro to match the factory velcro around the door, the put the duct into the rain fly. We also installed a full height zipper to allow access into the left side of the door while the AC is directed into the right side.

An AC with a remote makes it very easy to control throught the screen door. The AC sits on a plastic milk crate or similar to keep it off the ground. Make sure the AC tilts slightly to the outside of the tent so the water will drain out.

·
Registered
522 Posts
Toteing your A/C

Here are the photos if anyones still interested. Also glad the SO has and does commercial sewing..

:joke:

Attachments

1 - 15 of 15 Posts