GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
531 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a friend who just got an 05 GL1800 trike and we are unsure how to jack it up to change the oil. With my 1800 two wheeler I just put the motorcycle jack under the center with one edge under the center stand and shim the other edge and up she goes. I also use a bottle screw jack under the front. With his trike we are afraid there might be too much weight on the back end to put a jack under the pumpkin because it might damage the seal. We are wide open here for any suggestions guys. With all those GL1800 trikes out there someone must have changed their oil by now!
Thanks

·
Registered
809 Posts
First question would be which trike kit and does it have running boards? Not sure why you would want to jack it up the change oil though. If you need a little extra clearanc drive it up on a 2X4 block. If you don't have a split belly pan the oil change will take you longer.

·
Registered
487 Posts
I have a friend who just got an 05 GL1800 trike and we are unsure how to jack it up to change the oil. With my 1800 two wheeler I just put the motorcycle jack under the center with one edge under the center stand and shim the other edge and up she goes. I also use a bottle screw jack under the front. With his trike we are afraid there might be too much weight on the back end to put a jack under the pumpkin because it might damage the seal. We are wide open here for any suggestions guys. With all those GL1800 trikes out there someone must have changed their oil by now!
Thanks
I just changed the oil and filter on my GL1500 with Motor Trike Conversion for the first time last weekend. I had a pan that just fit under the trike and took out the oil drain bolt. Once it was finished draining I took an oil filter wrench that I had that has a swivel handle and took the filter off. Put new filter on...put new oil in and that was that.

DID NOT TAKE FRONT COWLING OFF AND DID NOT NEED TO LIFT TRIKE AT ALL.

Worked for me...not sure about yours.

·
Registered
8,038 Posts
Not sure why the trike kit would make a difference (if someone could explain that) you should be able to change oil the same way you would with two wheels.
It really dosn't matter which kit it is. It is the same weather 2 or 3 wheels, the 2X4 trick gives a little more room to get under it. The Running boards and how they are put on does have some effect on the accessability though. Pul the plug and let drain.

·
Registered
531 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
problem solved

Thanks guys, you were all really quick with the solution. As it turns out, by the time I had posted the question my friend had removed the small front portion of the belly pan and discovered it is all really accessable by just running the front wheel up on a board just to allow room to loosen the plug and filter then roll it back and remove the plug and filter. I am still curious though, if one want to raise the trike to work on anything else, where is a safe place to put one or more jacks at the rear? It is a CSC model.

·
Registered
809 Posts
It really dosn't matter which kit it is. It is the same weather 2 or 3 wheels, the 2X4 trick gives a little more room to get under it. The Running boards and how they are put on does have some effect on the accessability though. Pul the plug and let drain.
bingo

I

·
0 Posts
I use auto ramps. Available from Sears and other outlets. Called Rhino Ramps. Lightweight composite. Drive forward on to them if you don't have molded running boards that interfere, or back on if you do. Gives great access to change oil or work on the underside of the trike. Beats jacking big time. No good for changing rear tires obviously. :lol:

·
Registered
741 Posts
IB Trike, you say to back it up on ramps. I have an '08 CSC and it will not back up on anything. It has 0 power in reverse. It will not even back up on the small lip of my shop. What am I missing?

·
Registered
563 Posts
IB Trike, you say to back it up on ramps. I have an '08 CSC and it will not back up on anything. It has 0 power in reverse. It will not even back up on the small lip of my shop. What am I missing?
I have the same problem with my CSC when it comes to backing up. So what I do is back up while walking beside the trike. This helps alot.

·
Registered
2,032 Posts
I changed the oil and filter on my trike. First tried 1 2x4 still not enough room so added a second 2x4 and was able to complete the task. I would have been farther ahead if I had jacked it up as did not have enough room to remove and reinstall the filter and drain bolt easily.

Thanks for the link BigMac, I copied it to the How To forum.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts