GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
494 Posts
drive train oil change.

Put on center stand.
Pull-OUT the rear drive DRAIN plug.
I use a drip-pan on a Four by Four( to raise the pan off floor.)
take-OUT fill plug
AFTER Oil stops draining, PUT-IN the bottom DRAIN plug.
Now Move oil pan out of way.
Cut the VERY TIP off the Honda rear drive OIL bottle,1/8
Be sure to leave the small ring on the bottle, that ring locks the piece of 1/8 inch flexibl CLEAR tubeing ON the tip of the Bottle.
I cut a Piece of tubeing at 10 INCHES long.
Put the tubeing in the fill hole, now tip the bottle UP-RIGHT, and squeese the bottle to begin filling the rear drive with oil,,when you cant't squeese the bottle NO-MORE, tip-it down and let the air back-IN the bottle, now tip the bottle back-UP and begin filling the reardrive again.
When the OIL starts to come out the fill hole, stop filling .

TWO Points
1. DON'T Move the rear tire ANY. You DON'T want the reardrive Gears to fill with oil, and give you a false reading.
2. After I drain the rear drive, I put the plug-IN and put-IN 1/4 of the bottle, and then redrain the rear drive to get ALL cruddy oil out.
NObody else will admet to doing this, THEY say it is a waste of time.
I do-it ( I care about my opinon )

KennyU
SeattleWA

·
Registered
4,019 Posts
Put on center stand.
Pull-OUT the rear drive DRAIN plug.
I use a drip-pan on a Four by Four( to raise the pan off floor.)
take-OUT fill plug
AFTER Oil stops draining, PUT-IN the bottom DRAIN plug.
Now Move oil pan out of way.
Cut the VERY TIP off the Honda rear drive OIL bottle,1/8
Be sure to leave the small ring on the bottle, that ring locks the piece of 1/8 inch flexibl CLEAR tubeing ON the tip of the Bottle.
I cut a Piece of tubeing at 10 INCHES long.
Put the tubeing in the fill hole, now tip the bottle UP-RIGHT, and squeese the bottle to begin filling the rear drive with oil,,when you cant't squeese the bottle NO-MORE, tip-it down and let the air back-IN the bottle, now tip the bottle back-UP and begin filling the reardrive again.
When the OIL starts to come out the fill hole, stop filling .

TWO Points
1. DON'T Move the rear tire ANY. You DON'T want the reardrive Gears to fill with oil, and give you a false reading.
2. After I drain the rear drive, I put the plug-IN and put-IN 1/4 of the bottle, and then redrain the rear drive to get ALL cruddy oil out.
NObody else will admet to doing this, THEY say it is a waste of time.
I do-it ( I care about my opinon )

KennyU
SeattleWA
KU, you forgot to clean the crap off the magnet. :shock:

·
Registered
3,875 Posts
STOP!!!!!!! First take off the FILL cap lid...I think I have read where sometimes the upper fill lid gets stuck and is a problem to get off. After you make sure the fill cap will come off, then proceed to drain the rear end.
I do not know of anyone that has had that problem, but I seem to recall that I have read that some people have had a problem.

·
Registered
1,415 Posts
I usually take it out for a 20 mi or so ride to get it warmed up a bit so it drains better & takes stuff that would otherwise settle out when it is drained.

·
Registered
19,316 Posts
I learned something---I have never turned the wheel to get more fluid out . Will try next change

·
Banned
7,603 Posts
I learned something---I have never turned the wheel to get more fluid out . Will try next change
Yep.
Page 4-18 of the 2006 service manual:
"Remove the oil filler cap and drain bolt from the final gear case, slowly turn the rear wheel and drain the oil."

·
Registered
17,035 Posts
In Ed McMahan's voice: Now there we have it all. Every possible thing you could possibly know about changing final drive lube in the GL1800. The facts, the myth, the information, the disinformation.

If we could just sort it all out. Then again, the very first response took care of that. ;-)

prs

·
Banned
7,603 Posts
In Ed McMahan's voice: Now there we have it all. Every possible thing you could possibly know about changing final drive lube in the GL1800. The facts, the myth, the information, the disinformation.

If we could just sort it all out. Then again, the very first response took care of that. ;-)

prs
Yes but, we just love to post, 8,979, don't we:joke:

·
Registered
3,344 Posts
I would suggest a six point socket or box end wrench versus a 12 point. The sixes grab better.

·
Registered
17,035 Posts

·
Registered
345 Posts
How do I go about changeing the drive train fluid ?
Easy to do....a 12 years old can do it...! OH...DO NOT FORGET TO CLEAN DRAIN PLUG OFF....Its a magnetic drain plug and all the crud get on it...and IF the bike had not been done before...would VERY strongly suggest that you flush it out with clean oil...fill it...ride it say 20 miles worth...and the drain it again...to wash as much crap out as you can.

Attachments

·
Registered
345 Posts
And for what its worth...stay away from using this gear lube...! I do not know whats going on, but its NOT GOOD...! Gear oil should NOT end up a big foamy mess like this....foam is BAG NEWS...! Will not lube gears properly...and will not cool hot spots and transfer heat away from hot spots. All around just bad news...thats all.

Attachments

S

·
0 Posts
check it at 100k and it will probably look just fine - put the plug back in and just keep going. I am not trying to be a smartie but that is about as true as it gets.
Or to put it another way - change it as often as you change the oil in your truck differential. Never

1 - 20 of 24 Posts