GL1800Riders Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of MAY's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
440 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is there a way to combine several Garmin track logs besides renaming each segment? Seems I remember there being a program that would do all the work?
Thanks

·
Registered
6,891 Posts
I'm not sure - have you tried G7toWin or GPSBabel? I haven't tried it with a Garmin file, but GPSBabel has a 'filter' option that allows you to 'merge' multiple track files into one.

There's also an option there to allow you to 'simplify' the track files by eliminating some of the data points. Obviously, this doesn't show you your exact track, but it's usually close enough. This is pretty handy for the iWay track files since they drop many more breadcrumbs than the typical Garmin file. A day's ride through the twisties on an iWay track may take over 6,000 track points. The 'simplify' function helps keep the track files manageable for future re-use.

·
Registered
1,043 Posts
I use MapSource.
The old 'copy/paste' routine

·
Registered
1,938 Posts
Jon:

Yup, G7toWin will do it. I've also done it by the cut and paste method in mapsource.

Tim

·
Registered
1,309 Posts
Mapsource now has a "trackjoin" tool. Use the "View" dropdown list to view the "track edit" toolbar.

·
Registered
1,144 Posts
k7lvo said:
Mapsource now has a "trackjoin" tool. Use the "View" dropdown list to view the "track edit" toolbar.
What version of Mapsource are you using?

·
Registered
440 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
The latest ver available. I tried the track join tool, but couldn't get it to do what I want. I have saved track for the past 3 weeks on a trip. Each file contains segments that may or may not have the same data, but have the same name. So just simply copy and pasting overwrites files. I ended up renaming some of the segments and then copy and pasting.

·
Registered
788 Posts
G7toWin is the fastest and easiest method to join track segments.

·
Registered
1,309 Posts
WB0SPL said:
k7lvo said:
What version of Mapsource are you using?
I'm using v6.11.3. I just tried the join tool on a 2,300 mile trip I took a week or so ago. At the end of each day I downloaded the tracks, then deleted the track in the GPS. I had no overlaps, but I did have a few gaps. It works fine when the tracks meet and don't overlap. It looks like it joins tracks that either don't meet or overlap by attaching the end of one to the beginning of the other with a straight line.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts