GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2003 GL1800 and I want to trike it. The wife has her motorcycle endorsement but would rather ride in the passenger seat than own her own bike. She has mentioned that she would ride the 1800 if it were triked but has not mentioned anything about going ahead with the triking. I would like to know how some of you convinced yours to allow the spending of that much money? Is it really worth it? I am 51 years old and the knees are beginning to go too. What are some of the convincing strategies?

Bill

·
Registered
8,038 Posts
If you can get her on a Trike for a test ride that will be all it will take. Look for someone in your area or a dealer that has one to test ride. The first Stop light or hill will convince her.

·
Registered
139 Posts
Bill,
My wife is the one responsible for starting me down the trike path. It makes her feel more secure "back there". She can move around all she wants and not affect the stability. We started with a clean sheet of paper and no preconceptions about trikes. By the time my GL 1800 trike is complete next month, the total process took us two years.
Mike

B

·
0 Posts
Bill,

You are in the same position as many of us were. In the fall of 2004, I was 60 and we were riding an ST1300 when we first looked at a trike in Gatlinburg. I had a heart problem that resulted in a pacemaker and I am not as strong as I used to be (who is?). In March, 2005 we bought our Gold Wing. We bought it mainly for comfort and long distance touring since I was going to take early retirement at the end of July, 2005. Also we knew we could trike it if we wanted to.

We went to several trike dealers, both independent and Honda, and rode trikes. We went to Wing Ding 2005 and rode trikes. We read everything we could about trikes. We came to this forum and asked questions. One of the things I wanted, if we triked, was a local installer. We decided on CSC and it happens our local Honda dealer does them. So it worked out great for us. The dealer gave us the names and phone numbers of a few of their trike customers. We called some and one offered to let us ride his for a while. I don’t think I would be as generous as he, but I am glad he was as it settled us on our choice. My wife absolutely loved sitting on her throne. She felt so secure and safe and said it was much more comfortable than the Wing. She was convinced.

All that was left was the money issue. That took a few months. One night at the supper table, she looked at me and said, “Let’s get the trike.” So I went to the dealer and signed the deal. $5000 deposit, whew! :money1: :eek:4: That was Nov. 16, 2005. March 1, 2006; three and a half months later they called and said our kit was in. It took them a week to do it. Another check. This time for $8000. :money1: :22yikes:

All I can tell you is we love it. We ride more now than we ever did on 2 wheels. Tina likes it so much; she got her 3-wheel endorsement so she could back me up. She still prefers to ride in back but she has taken a few of her girl friend out for a ride.

Next Wednesday, we head out for WOTS (Wings Over The Smokies) and we plan to ride the Blue Ridge Parkway all the way from Cherokee NC to Skyline Drive. :D

Don aka Beastie

·
Registered
2,582 Posts
I told my wife I was going to trike my '02 and get a '06 BMW K1200GT for a two wheeler. She was silent for about ten seconds (a long time for her) and then said, "You can do one or the other, but not both!" I triked!

My knee went out about two months ago and I would have a problem holding the two wheeler up if it got off dead center 5 degrees or so. Hurt it once before trying to hold the thing up.

Triked last September and have 8,500 on the trike. Love it and would not go back to two wheels. Wife even gets on it now, but she quit riding with me several years ago as she had a hard time climbing on, but now that is is stable, no big problem.

I am 74 and triking has increased my riding years...go trike!

·
Registered
127 Posts
Bill,
I would endorse the test ride idea. My husband and I never ride/rode two up. However on the trike test ride we took turns driving and the other one on back. It was a blast and sold us on the trike. All I can say is I ride with my 10 year old daughter on back and she just loves the trike. No fancy routine for getting on/off like we had to do with the 2 wheeler. Also I even let her drive up/down the driveway and in empty parking lots.

Where do you live, I would gladly give your wife a spin on my Champion if you are any where near So. Cal.

Cheers,
Jill

I

·
0 Posts
KJ5IX said:
If you can get her on a Trike for a test ride that will be all it will take. Look for someone in your area or a dealer that has one to test ride. The first Stop light or hill will convince her.
Ditto that.

One afternoon ride and she will be sold. :lol:

·
Registered
560 Posts
Beastie,

I am gonna take off tomorrow morning from FL and head up in the general direction of the WOTS. Want to spend some time riding the NC mountains before WOTS. Should be a blast. See ya at the RRI. Black Cherry Champion trike with a black El Piggy-O-Backer in tow.

JJ

·
Registered
12,417 Posts
When it is "time" for me to go trike, Health and ability will be all the convincing that Meesh will need.

A trike is not all that far in my future.

Dawg

·
Registered
39 Posts
I have arthritis setting in my knees to the point that I worry some days about dropping the Wing. She actually told me to go look at the trikes. I am 43 and we had talked about getting a trike later in life. She said that she did not see us "not riding" but it would be safer and "why wait". We just spent the last 3 days testing various trikes.....we ordered ours today. She says that it feels better to her and she obviously will feel better about my knees not giving out. She also has her license and will have no problem operating this trike if she wants to take it for a spin. There is little chance of her holding the regular Wing up. She used to ride a VTX but we sold it and went back to "2 up"....I know it helped my sanity cause I turned into a mother hen when she was out in front of me on her own bike.....

1 - 10 of 10 Posts