GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2,026 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've searched for this answer and haven't found it.

I just had my '06 triked with a Roadsmith HT1800 kit with the Accuride auto height adjustment for the rear suspension. The 6 degree rake kit was installed which included All Balls and fork extensions, and retained OEM springs.

My question is: in determining which mods to do to forks, what is the correct height for the front suspension, i.e; is the bike suppose to be level, etc.? And, depending on the answer, how do you measure it?

·
Registered
8,038 Posts
Your first problem I think is going to be the OEM Springs,,,, If they aren't already almost shot they will shortly with the Trike kit. I would suggest at least a Spring upgrade either Progressive or Traxxion. I did the Traxxion Spring kit @ $125.00 at the time 4 years ago. If your front end is sitting close to the front fender; as in you cant put your hand between the fender and the cowling. The springs are shot!!! and the front end may be topping ( bottoming to some ) out, and hard to control at times. I just checked out a RoadSmith with the exact same issue. Solution was springs.

There was a discussion here about 3 or so years ago on just this. I will try to find it.

·
Banned
7,603 Posts
another opinion
I chose to leave the stock springs in when I triked last year.
I did shim the ADV.
I have a very smooth riding front suspension w/4.5D rake.
The triple trees came w/tapered bearings and fork extensions.
A simple measurement before triking and raking will give you the proper setting for after the change. Or if you have already converted, the installer should know the proper height to set or he's not a very knowledgeable installer!

·
Registered
2,026 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks

Extensions were installed and I left the OEM springs in on their advice. My bike only had 7,300 miles on it when triked a week ago so the OEM springs have not had a lot of wear.

In the future I'm probably going to go the Traxxion AK-20 route because they fix all the problems in the forks, including a guide to keep springs from rubbing on the inside of the fork tubes and shedding metal. But for now I'm thinking about upgrading the springs but wasn't sure what the ideal poisition (height) of the forks should be.

Decisions, decisions, decisions!!! :doorag:

·
Registered
8,038 Posts
another opinion
I chose to leave the stock springs in when I triked last year.
I did shim the ADV.
I have a very smooth riding front suspension w/4.5D rake.
The triple trees came w/tapered bearings and fork extensions.
A simple measurement before triking and raking will give you the proper setting for after the change. Or if you have already converted, the installer should know the proper height to set or he's not a very knowledgeable installer![/QUOTE]

From what I can remember from the installation instructions for the rake kits, and because I am a junior installer still in dippers,,, There is no settings or adjustments. The top cap of the forks are placed flush to the triple trees, just as with stock fork tops, and tree. If there is a 4 inch measurement between the faring, and the fender before Triking, with stock springs. When Triked the weight is shifted some what forward ( now this is what I understand and not Gospel; unless someone comes in and verifies it ) now with OEM = Weak Springs that weight shift is transfered to the forks ( Springs ), and they will compress some, thus loosing some of that 4 inch clearance that was there before, and loosing some of the fork travel. Increasing the spring tension = increased height ( for the given weight prior ) and increased fork action / travel, which also effects ride condition/smoothness etc: Basic Physics 101 :shrug:
Now ask your buddy the installer what the right and proper height is and how to set it, and get back with us Please........

1 - 6 of 6 Posts