GL1800Riders Forums banner

How to dye a mesh jacket?

9K views 8 replies 9 participants last post by  brcisna 
#1 ·
My black First Gear Mesh Jacket is sun faded. Has anyone successfully dyed a Mesh Jacket?

#3 ·
My humble opinion of one, If it has been exposed enough to the sun to fade it to the point of needing dye, it is time to replace it. UV rays play havock on materials sometime. Are there any fraying or fuzzy threads in it? Give a good (like you mean it) yank on the seams. Any give? If not, it may or may not be OK, just too hard to tell.

I could be reading into this, but just a thought.

Best Wishes

#4 ·
My humble opinion of one, If it has been exposed enough to the sun to fade it to the point of needing dye, it is time to replace it. UV rays play havock on materials sometime.
Good thing. I throw mine away at this point, and I didn't want to think I
was just being lazy. :p I didn't even consider dyeing the thing, but that
was a good thought.

Herb

#5 ·
My humble opinion of one, If it has been exposed enough to the sun to fade it to the point of needing dye, it is time to replace it. UV rays play havock on materials sometime. Are there any fraying or fuzzy threads in it? Give a good (like you mean it) yank on the seams. Any give? If not, it may or may not be OK, just too hard to tell.

Best Wishes
:agree::agree::agree:

#6 ·

Best Wishes
:agree: besides don't you deserve a new jacket

#7 ·
How old is the jacket? This is not a fashion item it is a piece of protective equiptment designed to protect you in the event you body meets the pavement. By painting the jacket you could be subjecting the fibers in the mesh fabric to a chemical that could degrade protective function of the jacket further.

There are some very nice mesh jackets that will offer increased visibility as well as newer design with more modern materials (newer) to offer protection. It's your body, protect it as you see fit. Pain hurts!!!

#8 ·
Instead of playing the role of safety nazi, I will answer your question as directly as I can.

I have never tried to dye a jacket. I did however attempt to dye a set of aftermarket speaker grills that had become sun faded. I tried twice.....and second time I left them in the dye mixture for about 45 mnutes, and the dye still wouldn't take.

It's always worth a try. If it doesn't work, buy a new jacket. You're only out the cost of a couple packets of dye and some time.

#9 ·
dgamage,

please try the dying routine and report how this turns out. It sure doesnt hurt to give it a try. You may be starting a new fahsion trend ,if nothing else. Did you ever consider dying it like a gray...just to try a change in color/atmosphere?
I heard that this is how Kim Kardashian got started in the fashion bizzz,,and look were she is at now?,,,:)
If you are happy with the way the jacket still fits,,, then go for it. I would guess the jacket will do whats it is suppose to do,,in the event of a layover. We are not going to the moon with this article of clothing,remember.
I think you have come up with a very standup idea here,honestly.
You are also going green in that the jacket will not be thrown in the local landfill after you throw it in the garbage can. Two thumbs up to you!

Take Care,
BC

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.