GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
334 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
what products will remove the haze from headlight plastic lenses? and is it a real fix that will bring it back to new and clear looking or is it just a temp fix and 2 days later the haze is back?

·
Registered
454 Posts
Novus has some good products for removing scratches and polishing haze out of plastics....

·
Registered
3,537 Posts
Watch the TV. Someone is advertising some Snake Oil that will refurbish your headlight lenses......If you order now, you get two bottles of it.

Otherwise I would try Novus.

·
Registered
4,012 Posts
I use the headlight kit from Harbor freight $15 and takes about 20 minutes start to finish for 2 headlights. Works Great!

·
Registered
251 Posts
dull,hazy headlites

On my truck 06 Chev I used 1200 grit wet sanding,then lite rubbing compound then wax... I used Glare polish for the final coat.....they look new and seem to last a good while....

·
Registered
89 Posts
My kid drives an old dodge with 200k miles on it. I used the 3M kit on it, and it worked great. It is essentially a sanding disc with different grits, so you start out with the most aggressive, then go to finer grits. Then you use a very fine polish.

Its not difficult, but time consuming. Read the directions. a battery powered drill will work, but, not without switching batteries probably.

COVER YOUR PAINT!! Put a couple layers of masking tape around your lights, so if the disc wanders off target - you aren't tearing up your paint, and also, I'd suggest pracitcing on the cage first, before you try it on the bike.

·
Registered
19,990 Posts
Now that you know what to do, my question is, what have you been cleaning your headlights with that they are getting hazy? The GL1800 is not known for that problem. My 02 headlights still look like new.

·
Registered
2,270 Posts
If real bad use 1500 grit wet sandpaper then 2000 grit and them Maguires Headlight polish or similar brand to polish out.

·
Registered
1,776 Posts
wax them lamps often and theres no need to restore em...good wax has uv protectant.

·
Registered
824 Posts
I just did my 2000 focus with the 3M kit. Has a bunch of different sanding discs and polishing pads and compound. I was very skeptical but DAMM talk about doing a good job!!:excited: Took me about 1 1/2 hours to do both headlites, they were real yellow and a few scratches. They look like new units now! For the price I paid(19.95) compared to new units @149.00 each, I'm way ahead!!!!:thumbup:

·
Registered
124 Posts
I use Flitz metal polish, there directions show polishing plastic headlights, I also polish the wheels useing this stuff. Great product

·
Registered
334 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Now that you know what to do, my question is, what have you been cleaning your headlights with that they are getting hazy? The GL1800 is not known for that problem. My 02 headlights still look like new.
its for the cage. bike is mint!

·
Registered
4,649 Posts
It can be done by hand, but would take several hours per lens if fairly fogged. The drill type (with good masking of paint) will do much faster. I've done it by hand (for the sanding and rubbing stages) with final polishing using a variable speed buffer. It was slow and the buffer hard to control on that small of an area. The kits have small pads for use in a drill on that small area, and are what I will use - next time.

·
Registered
1,606 Posts
what products will remove the haze from headlight plastic lenses? and is it a real fix that will bring it back to new and clear looking or is it just a temp fix and 2 days later the haze is back?
Mothers headlight restorer (liquid) with a Mothers power ball (for electric drill).

If they are really bad, you will need to start with Mothers scratch remover, and then finish with the Mothers headlight restorer.

You'll never get it done by hand. You need to use an electric drill and a power ball.

These products also work great on a badly hazed/scratched up windshield.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts