GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i heard there's a way to program the display on the 1800 so the temperature is always displayed. i did a cursory search through the forum, but haven't found anything related. does anyone know where i can find out how to program the display to get the temp displayed? thanks.

·
Registered
4,157 Posts
So far no one has come up with a way to display the temp permanently. However, Jon has a unit that will cycle through all three displays. This unit can be seen at www.goldwinggadgets.com.

·
Registered
6,891 Posts
Actually, it just performs a periodic 'push of the Display button' which causes the temperature to be displayed.

If it cycles through any of the subsequent displays (suspension settings, etc.) than you've adjusted it to push the button too often.

·
Registered
761 Posts
No way to "program" it to do that but I built one of those gizmos that Jon has on his site and it works great. :D

·
Registered
8,038 Posts
From my post last year. Where I spliced into the Turn Cancel Button

http://www.gl1800riders.com/forums/view ... ht=#535190

KJ5IX said:
Couldn't stand it !

Curiosity got the best of me and I jumped into it and Got Er Done. Good tips on the location of the connector. I split the harness on the left side at the triple tree and spliced into the switch line direct. As it was easer and closer to the DISP Switch, which saved a lot of wire and routing back and forth to the center, basically spliced in at almost center point and then into the switch with a single covered spade. The wafer end of sw3 is open ended so the 5 volts didn't have any affect on the switch at all. I single wrapped at the solder joint and soldered there, then fed the wire back up and out the short plastic lume, leaving about 4 inches for the connector, and wa-la there it was. Tested it several times with the meter in line and put it all back together and went for a quick hundred or so checking the Temp now and then and even when canceling the turn as expected. Also as expected the DISP switch doubles as a Turn Cancel should I ever forget where it is and need to do that. Basic bottom line it works just as thought and wasnt all that bad of a mod, it only took about 45 min to get it all together. I also removed the tip on the switch connector under the top cover, that thing always slows me down and can be a little frustrating, now it slides in and out with just a little resistance, and no looking for the tiny flat blade to get it loose.

·
Banned
4,623 Posts
Mine is all automatic, If I get a chill, that causes my left hand to move over and press the button, then it displays the tempature.. Works every time and does not void the warrenty !! :lol:

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
thanks everyone for the info, everyone. it's not like it's that important, but i often find myself pressing the button - especially when traveling over varied terrain, elevations or dusk and dawn, etc. i may look into the gadget.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts