GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A lot of wings out there the trunk lid rubs and makes noise... Well i have found a way to stop that.
Strips of soft velcro cut to fit along the sides of the trunk under the lid stops the rubbing and noise.
I placed small strips on the back, longer ones on the side were the paint was rubbed off.
and 2 small strips on the conners of the lid. Now when the lid is down it is tight.:thumbup:

Attachments

·
Chard Member
12,961 Posts
Put the Velcro on the lid side. Won't look so ugly. Been doing the Velcro since '01. I also use the aquarium tubing inside the lid seal.

Sent from iPhone

·
Registered
4,115 Posts
Yup. The real problem is a lack of support for the lid not so much on the lid being loose. This is especially true when you have a passenger leaning against the backrest. To truly fix the problem you need to improve the lid's support. Several proven methods to do this:
  • Tubing inserted into the weather stripping
  • Wingrider product
  • RBBB product
I've used the Wingrider product from the first day I had the Wing. Adjustable, OEM like fitment, excellent finish. All around winner of a product. :thumbup:

A lot of wings out there the trunk lid rubs and makes noise... Well i have found a way to stop that.
Strips of soft velcro cut to fit along the sides of the trunk under the lid stops the rubbing and noise.
I placed small strips on the back, longer ones on the side were the paint was rubbed off.
and 2 small strips on the conners of the lid. Now when the lid is down it is tight.:thumbup:

·
Registered
2,090 Posts
I installed 1/4" OD clear gas line all the way around inside the trunk seal. Cost was about $3 and haven't had a mark on the trunk in over 5 years, and I carry a trunk bag with our rain gear in it when traveling.

·
Registered
541 Posts
I like the velcro idea... I actually bought the RubberBabyBuggyBumpers, and have contemplated for months to install them. I'm just not fond of drilling into my inner trunk plastic frame. I've been curious about the inner frame kit too someone referenced..

I have an '02 that has a bit of wear from vibrations and such... The biggest problem and reason of the chaffing in my opinion though is having a luggage rack, a rear-wing, and a trunk-lid organizer. Right there is several pounds the trunk lid wasn't designed for. I bought the bike with these items on it though... and really the only thing I can remove without leaving any trace is the trunk organizer.. and at this point it really weighs nothing as I don't keep anything of weight in it.. I'm going to give the velcro a try though... I'll see how long it lasts. Thanks for the tip. :)

·
Registered
4,115 Posts
The Wingrider trunk support system is very easy to install. Only 2 holes to drill in the trunk's lower inner liner (one on either side). They aren't visible unless you stick your head inside the trunk and look at the rear most corners. If you have after market trunk molding lighting strips, you'll want to make sure you have enough room for the mounting nut. No issues with mine.

I like the velcro idea... I actually bought the RubberBabyBuggyBumpers, and have contemplated for months to install them. I'm just not fond of drilling into my inner trunk plastic frame. I've been curious about the inner frame kit too someone referenced..

I have an '02 that has a bit of wear from vibrations and such... The biggest problem and reason of the chaffing in my opinion though is having a luggage rack, a rear-wing, and a trunk-lid organizer. Right there is several pounds the trunk lid wasn't designed for. I bought the bike with these items on it though... and really the only thing I can remove without leaving any trace is the trunk organizer.. and at this point it really weighs nothing as I don't keep anything of weight in it.. I'm going to give the velcro a try though... I'll see how long it lasts. Thanks for the tip. :)

·
Registered
513 Posts
I can't get the wingrider link to work

This has to be one of the best mods I've done to my bike and it was at a reasonable cost.

·
Registered
541 Posts
The Wingrider trunk support system is very easy to install. Only 2 holes to drill in the trunk's lower inner liner (one on either side). They aren't visible unless you stick your head inside the trunk and look at the rear most corners. If you have after market trunk molding lighting strips, you'll want to make sure you have enough room for the mounting nut. No issues with mine.

I like that too... good tip too, as I do have aftermarket lighted molding. I'm going to have a look into this.. it seems like a less invasive install compared to the BabyBumpers.. with the velcro being a non-invasive temp fix...

Good questions, good ideas... good thread. Thanks. :)

·
Registered
2,391 Posts
2005 Wing. Installed the RBBB's on 06. Still working after 105,000 miles. I had to replce one that broke off when a duffel bag caught on it, but you get 5 in a pack anyway! Also the RBBB's support the trunk lid on all 4 corners, taking load off the hinges, especially if you have a trunk lid rack. Simple trunk support at a low price.

Corventure Dave

1 - 12 of 12 Posts