GL1800Riders Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of MAY's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My 2002 came with Kuryakyn ISO®-Grips installed but the left grip is loose enough to move around. I'm concerned that it will get loose enough to come off or somebody may just slip it off and walk away.

How might I tighten the installation? Is there an adhesive or should I wrap the handlebar with gaffing tape or what?

Thanks

·
Registered
118 Posts
I've run across the same problem...
first, you need to wrap the bar with 1 spiral of electrical tape. Should be a 'barber pole' kind of wrap.

second, I use Gorrilla Glue. Follow the directions-- I put some water on the inside of the grip, a thin coating of glue over the bar and tape
then slide it on and position as desired. Let it set overnight. Don't use too much glue cuz it foams up and will ooz thru the end near the switch.
It's murder to try to get it off after its dried.

HTH

·
Registered
4,823 Posts
Electrical connections grip heaters make an outstanding way to tighten those troublesome grips!!! Just did the Wife's bike and didn't even have to use hairspray (Extra hold is prefered for grips!!!!!)

·
Registered
281 Posts
K8KQD said:
My 2002 came with Kuryakyn ISO®-Grips installed but the left grip is loose enough to move around. I'm concerned that it will get loose enough to come off or somebody may just slip it off and walk away.

How might I tighten the installation? Is there an adhesive or should I wrap the handlebar with gaffing tape or what?

Thanks
go to http://www.goldwingfacts.com/bikersworkshopmenu.htm

open part 17 and you will see a step by step on install and how to glue. You can also see this on a video this guy provides. Great resource.

Zeebo

G

·
I didn't know that hair spray was also suitable as a grip glue. :roll: :lol:

Sorry, but personally I don't trust what holds my hair in place to hold my grips in place. If my hair comes loose, I just have a bad hair day. If my grips come loose, I could die. :(

Ride safe. Happy Holidays

·
Premium Member
12,496 Posts
K8KQD said:

Thanks
I just did mine last week ... I've still got some of the Kuryakyn glue.
C'mon over and I'll glue it for you ... works great, dries fast.

I'm only about 30 miles from you.

Dennis
near Silver Springs

·
Registered
337 Posts
IBTrike said:
I didn't know that hair spray was also suitable as a grip glue. :roll: :lol:

Sorry, but personally I don't trust what holds my hair in place to hold my grips in place. If my hair comes loose, I just have a bad hair day. If my grips come loose, I could die. :(

Ride safe. Happy Holidays
Don't knock it till ya try it. The Kury glue did not hold on mine. The Hairspray works like a charm.

RRP

·
Registered
4,157 Posts
Yeah, it sounds wierd, but I've used the hairspray trick for years. It's really slipery when wet and holds great when dry.

·
Registered
4,823 Posts
Rastoff said:
Yeah, it sounds wierd, but I've used the hairspray trick for years. It's really slipery when wet and holds great when dry.
Most hair sprays are water soluble acrylic emulsions... (Non-toxic glue)
In the old days the grips were rubber and tough to get on straight.. The hairspray was slick as snot to get them just right. When the emulsion sets up, the shear strength is excellent!!
(You don't need to "glue" that would hold a man suspended in mid air) Beside, as many here will attest, the cyanoacrylate (crazy glue) adheasive that comes with the Kurys does fail occasionally even with proper prep.. God help you if you don't get the grip the way you want it the first shot, it sets up in seconds!!!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts