GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is actually quite a simple install, but a little instruction may be helpful. I purchased this without install instructions so I wanted to know how to do it. Since I couldn't find one on this site I decided to try to figure it out myself and then post some instructions.

1. There are four small buttons in the corner of the fairing pocket after the cover is opened. These have a small pin-like plastic attachment device. Push the middle of the pin in (about 1/8"). Then remove the entire pocket.

2. Mine had a circle with a cross hairs on the front of the pocket. I think it could go a little lower than they marked, but I went with theirs anyway. I think the recommended drill dia. is 1 1/8", like a spade bit can be used. I didn't have one that dia so I took a 1" dia. spade bit and drilled it out, then took a rotary file and reamed the inside out until it fit. A round or half-round file would also work.

3. Insert the plug into the hole with the wires to the front. Depending on hole diameter you may have to seal or glue it in place. I used a hot-glue gun and did around the forward side, but silicone or anything would probably work ok.

4. Reach up into the front portion of the cavity (mine was just past the white wiring block) and grab a little boot which contains the power adapter plugin and the Aux adapter (which I use for my phone or an mp3 player). Plug the power cord into the red adapter (the white one is for the Aux). It can only go one way.

5. I would recommend testing it out to make sure it works before you put the fairing pocket back in. The key must be turned on for it to power.

6. Before you replace the fairing pocket, push the center of the pop-up buttons up so the center is sticking up about an 1/8" above the head. Then insert the fairing pocket and push the little buttons flush.

Attachments

Reactions: glenn-iocb

·
Registered
8,302 Posts
Nice work. In a 2006+ bike the pocket is shaped a little different. My plug is more to the right and at an angle. I think it's because the knob for the foot warmer vents would get in the way of where it's positioned in your photo. Just an FYI.

·
Registered
2,468 Posts
Nice work. In a 2006+ bike the pocket is shaped a little different. My plug is more to the right and at an angle. I think it's because the knob for the foot warmer vents would get in the way of where it's positioned in your photo. Just an FYI.

correct.

·
Registered
654 Posts
Nice write up. I just did this a couple weeks ago. One note you may want to add is some plugs unscrew so you can basically bolt them in to the pocket without the need for glue or silicone. Mine looks exactly like yours and I was able to unscrew it and install it into a 7/8" hole.

·
Registered
198 Posts
Great write up. I may just have to do this now! Thanks!

·
Registered
571 Posts
Nice write up. I just did this a couple weeks ago. One note you may want to add is some plugs unscrew so you can basically bolt them in to the pocket without the need for glue or silicone. Mine looks exactly like yours and I was able to unscrew it and install it into a 7/8" hole.
7/8" hole worked for me, remember it's only a 5amp circuit, and mine has other things on it as well...good for mp3 or phone.

·
Registered
113 Posts
plug

where did you get the 12v, at that has the pushin plug on it at?? Would love to do this if I can get my Aux jack to work !!!!

This is actually quite a simple install, but a little instruction may be helpful. I purchased this without install instructions so I wanted to know how to do it. Since I couldn't find one on this site I decided to try to figure it out myself and then post some instructions.

1. There are four small buttons in the corner of the fairing pocket after the cover is opened. These have a small pin-like plastic attachment device. Push the middle of the pin in (about 1/8"). Then remove the entire pocket.

2. Mine had a circle with a cross hairs on the front of the pocket. I think it could go a little lower than they marked, but I went with theirs anyway. I think the recommended drill dia. is 1 1/8", like a spade bit can be used. I didn't have one that dia so I took a 1" dia. spade bit and drilled it out, then took a rotary file and reamed the inside out until it fit. A round or half-round file would also work.

3. Insert the plug into the hole with the wires to the front. Depending on hole diameter you may have to seal or glue it in place. I used a hot-glue gun and did around the forward side, but silicone or anything would probably work ok.

4. Reach up into the front portion of the cavity (mine was just past the white wiring block) and grab a little boot which contains the power adapter plugin and the Aux adapter (which I use for my phone or an mp3 player). Plug the power cord into the red adapter (the white one is for the Aux). It can only go one way.

5. I would recommend testing it out to make sure it works before you put the fairing pocket back in. The key must be turned on for it to power.

6. Before you replace the fairing pocket, push the center of the pop-up buttons up so the center is sticking up about an 1/8" above the head. Then insert the fairing pocket and push the little buttons flush.

·
Registered
679 Posts
Wingstuff has the plug and play for about $15. Hondaline is about $40.

GL1800 Plug&Play Cigarette Lighter w/Weather Cap

·
Registered
1,188 Posts
Correct! This is very important and make darn sure you understand it before you proceed. The last thing you want to do is lower the plug into the pocket and then discover when you get ready to put the box back into the fairing that the plug hits the foot warmer actuator cable. When in doubt do what Momma Honda says and go with the scribe lines on the box.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Question guys,
I have a kit sitting on the counter waiting for the temps to fall below 100 degrees before I install it. The first step to installation according to the instructions is to disconnect the negative battery terminal.

Anyway, as said above, the key has to be on for this connection to be hot. If the plug is not hot until the key is on, is there really an issue installing without disconnecting the battery? Maybe I'm missing something but I think it is safe as long as the key is off during installation.Am I correct in assuming this?

Thanks,
Mike

·
Registered
1,188 Posts
You are correct. Most of the plugs you buy already have the plug and play connector already phased correctly and ready to go. All you do is plug it in. There is no need to disconnect the battery. It's a true positive and negative proposition and it's dead current with the key off so you are not going to have a ground out. It's a very simple job but the above post of mine regarding the position of the plug in the box is very important. I have seen a bunch of installation instructions that say to disconnect the battery cable even for things that don't even require battery power. CYA all the way!

·
Registered
2,468 Posts
The instructions for mine say to replace the 5A fuse with a 10A
uummm....i would NOT do that! They put that size there for a reason!

·
Registered
318 Posts
On my 2012 GL, I had the dealer install it as part of the deal.

It was installed in the upper right corner, just past the locking mechanism. For some reason, the installer added an inline fuse behind the red connector. The shape of the storage compartment is different from the one in the above pics.

·
Registered
847 Posts
I did this on my 2008 about a week ago. Took all of 15 mins. On mine there was a faint circle with a dot in the middle upper right hand corner. I bought the $11 one from Wingstuff. Used 7/8" spade bit and the a round file. Hardest part was the plug that is in a black plastic boot. There was no play or give on mine. But with a bit of fiddling i was able to slip the plug into he socket. I love that I can now charge my iPhone while also playing some tunes at the same time.

·
Registered
11 Posts
I finally did mine today. Took all of about 20 minutes from start to finish. Decided if I waited till the temps drop below 100 degrees, might be October before I did it.Really a very simple install. I'm excited now that I can plug low wattage accessories and can charge the all important smart phone.Probably the best add on since owning a wing. By the way, a 1 1/8 inch hole saw did the trick for me.

Mike

·
Registered
17 Posts
Installing the 12v connector plug

I just installed the 12v connector plug yesterday, took me all of 40 minutes, it was quite easy. I installed it in a 2008 (with comfort package). I bought the Honda part, and directions said to look for a small mark on the box. It was very small indeed.....and was on the outside of the box, on the 45 degree corner....and that's where I installed it. Cut the original hole, then used a dremmel with a sandpaper bit to get it to the right size. Works perfectly. :thumbup:

1 - 20 of 34 Posts