GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am thinking of installing a Yaesu FT50 RD HT on to my 2006 Navi. Has any one installed this radio on there wing? I plan on using the Kennedy FRS4, YFT50 radio harness, 95258 intercom harness & 95110 PTT Asssy. so I can key the HT separate from the CB. I would like to know how or where you mounted the radio, if you used the rubber duck or a separate antenna if so what and how? Also if you have had any problems with interference etc. Any constructive comments are appreciated. :chatter:
Thanks KW9K

·
Registered
755 Posts
My Yaesu FT1500 is in the trunk where the CB/CD player goes. Interface is Kennedy FRSet4 and type 2 intercom harness. I use the OEM PTT (i have no cb). The power comes direct from the battery through a power distribution block with its own relay. The antenna (2mtr quarter wave) is mounted on the luggage rack on the trunk. I bought the tubular luggage rack with the flag mounting tabs ($50) specifically for an antenna mount. Used one of the tabs for the antenna mount. If you have a CB you'll have to go with the add-on PTT.

I started to mount my VX-7R, but wanted a little more power. I have both harnesses, so I may try the 7R just as an experiment. We use 2Mtr simplex bike-to-bike.

Jon and the folks at Kennedy are great to work with. They'll get you fixed up with whatever you need.

Good luck!

·
Registered
1,789 Posts
kg5ie said:
My Yaesu FT1500 is in the trunk where the CB/CD player goes. Interface is Kennedy FRSet4 and type 2 intercom harness. I use the OEM PTT (i have no cb). The power comes direct from the battery through a power distribution block with its own relay. The antenna (2mtr quarter wave) is mounted on the luggage rack on the trunk. I bought the tubular luggage rack with the flag mounting tabs ($50) specifically for an antenna mount. Used one of the tabs for the antenna mount. If you have a CB you'll have to go with the add-on PTT.

I started to mount my VX-7R, but wanted a little more power. I have both harnesses, so I may try the 7R just as an experiment. We use 2Mtr simplex bike-to-bike.

Jon and the folks at Kennedy are great to work with. They'll get you fixed up with whatever you need.

Good luck!
With your set-up can you use the OEM PTT with a CB installed, if you don't turn the CB on? I'd love to have a Ham rig on the bike, but don't want too many more buttons to worry about. The only time I use the CB is during group rides, so most of the time the CB is off, but I'd enjoy chatting with Hams as I ride.

·
Registered
755 Posts
tjshelton said:
kg5ie said:

Good luck!
With your set-up can you use the OEM PTT with a CB installed, if you don't turn the CB on? I'd love to have a Ham rig on the bike, but don't want too many more buttons to worry about. The only time I use the CB is during group rides, so most of the time the CB is off, but I'd enjoy chatting with Hams as I ride.
Since I don't have the CB, I'm going to leave that answer to Jon at Kennedy. If the CB was off, I would suspect you could. If it was on, I would suspect you would transmit on both radios at the same time, but that is strictly a guess. The add-on PTT that Jon has mounts fairly cleanly.

·
Registered
439 Posts
I'm not sure if your radio uses one pin or two but I use two pin . I use the kennedy ptt it works well with my Icom t2h 2m HT, Midland gmrs/frs, and radio shack cb . I put a two ball ram set up on the brake leaver assy. with a ram radio holder . Works well just sticks out like a sore thumb when not in use and Im to lazy to take it off :shock: . I use the rubber duck and it works as well as it would if I were using it walking around . I use one watt bike to bike and 5watts for repearter . I keep the cords in the pocket when not in use, witch is most of the time . I like the idea of putting it in the trunk butt I like to be able to get to it for volume etc. I have been thinking of putting radio on top of pocket door on it,s back. Then using a bnc with coax cable and home made bracket to keep the rubber duck vertical . Wounder if the 1/4 wave windshield kits would work . The glue on type .
Good luck hope this helps

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Ham Radio Install

Thanks for all the comments. But I just exchanged e-mail's with Jon at Kennedy and they have a problem getting the FRSET 4 interface to work with the GL1800 Navi. He said he is going to tackle the problem in the spring when he gets his next 1800.
So I will put the project on hold for now.
Thanks again.

KW9K

·
Registered
366 Posts
speck,
But I just exchanged e-mail's with Jon at Kennedy and they have a problem getting the FRSET 4 interface to work with the GL1800 Navi.
One of our MARC (Motorcycling Amateur Radio Club) members has an '06 NAVI and the Kennedy gear (FRSet4, DualSet, cables for the Radio, Radar Detector, Garmin GPS, PTT and both Intercom cables,etc.) work exactly as they should -- no issues...!

Make sure you have set the DIP Switches in the FRSet4 for the correct radio/harness. The FRSet4 does not comes from Kennedy configured for your specific radio...!

We do make sure that the Kennedy FRSet4 INTERCOM cable is connect to the motor's main Intercom wiring, then the INTERCOM cable for the DualSet, then the Headset cable. Some folks have said that this is only important when the MIC-MUTES are also installed, but we do it that way regardless.

An issue with the NAVI is the Valentine One Radar Detector somehow picks up some radiation from the NAVI if it is mounted anywhere other than out and up to the right of the right handlebar on a RAM 5" Arm. This is not a Kennedy problem...!

73 de KG6NJP

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
E98X09
One of our MARC (Motorcycling Amateur Radio Club) members has an '06 NAVI and the Kennedy gear (FRSet4, DualSet, cables for the Radio, Radar Detector, Garmin GPS, PTT and both Intercom cables,etc. work exactly as they should -- no issues...!
Thanks for the information but I Quote from Jon Jambor at Kennedy @cellset
(AT THIS TIME,OUR FRSET4 SYSTEM IS NOT COMPATIBLE WITH THE NAV 1800. OUR PTT INTERFACE TRIGGERS AND KEYS THE TWO WAY RADIO WHEN THE NAV SPEAKS, AND THERE IS NOWHERE TO MOUNT OUR BRACKET PTT- HONDA PUT A SWITCH UNDER THE HORN BUTTON. OUR HANDLEBAR MOUNT PTT SWITCH MAY INTERFER WITH THE SAME SAID SWITCH , TOO.
THIS IS A PROJECT I PLAN ON TACKLING IN THE SPRING WHEN I GET MY NEXT 1800. WISH I COULD HELP YOU OUT, BUT THE SOLUTION IS SPOTTY AT BEST)
I received this info on 12/24/06.
I would guess that Jon would know about the problems with his iterface. But I would like to talk to the member who is using the Kennedy equipment on the Navi. I would like to know if he is running a CB with the ham gear also. Can I get his e-mail address or have him e-mail me and I will send my address.
Thanks "73" KW9K

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Ham Radio

Ok just got another e-mail from Jon. I mentioned that I had mic-mutes and Jon said that as long as they are working ok Morph Does some kind of modification to my PTT interface and then it will work with the system with no problem. Said Morph needs the interface to make the mods but does not charge for this????
I did have a problem with RF in the PTT circuit of the mic-mutes when I first installed them but Morph replaced the unit and they have been working great since then, perhaps I already have the mod ???
Guess I will get on the phone next week and try to sort this out.
I will post the results when I get this sorted out, if I do......

·
Registered
206 Posts
[quote="tjshelton]
With your set-up can you use the OEM PTT with a CB installed, if you don't turn the CB on? I'd love to have a Ham rig on the bike, but don't want too many more buttons to worry about. The only time I use the CB is during group rides, so most of the time the CB is off, but I'd enjoy chatting with Hams as I ride.[/quote]

I have my bike wired so I can swap either Kenwood TM741 or a TM-D700A onto the bike. Use the older Kennedy FRSet with the PTT that velcro's to the left handlebar. Works just fine and I also have the CB. Don't have Navi (2005 GL1800). With the D700 I can also feed the GPS serial data into it for APRS, and am working on a small TNC to use with the 741. With either radio, the radio is in the trunk with the control head remoted up front (velcro below the speedo). Antenna is a Larsen NMO mount built into the Kury luggage rack.

Carl
N7KUW

1 - 10 of 10 Posts