GL1800Riders Forums banner

How to install the Bushtec Mudflap

2K views 9 replies 7 participants last post by  White Gold 
#1 ·
I installed the V2 Bushtec hitch then ordered the Bushtec mudflap. I can't figure out how to attach the mudflap to the hitch. It appears there must be brackets that were not shipped with either the hitch or mudflap. The mudflap only came with two bolts.

#3 ·
Bushtec Mudflap bracket

Shouldn't all the parts necessary to install the mudflap to the hitch come with the mudflap, or at least inform the customer of this up front. This doesn't make sense to me. The mudflap came with 2 bolts/washers/nuts. Following your logic, they should have been extra as well.

The Hitch is a marvelously well design piece of hardware, and I was really impressed with its installation. it is unfortunate that the Bushtec matching mudflap cannot be readily installed.

#4 ·
Right off his website -

BUSHTEC V.2 VERTICAL RECEIVER HITCH SYSTEM for GL1800:

V.2 Deluxe Package - Fits all GL1800 models & years. Includes Vertical Receiver Hitch package with main supports, center section, struts, graded hardware, a Chrome Hitch head with EITHER a Bushtec Hitch Pin and Stainless Steel Lock OR 1 7/8 inch Stainless Steel ball, Plug-N-Play Electronic Relay Isolator Package, & Receiver Lock PLUS the Bushtec Contoured Rubber Mudflap, Mudflap Mounting Bracket, and hardware. $399.00

V.2 Standard Package - Fits all GL1800 models & years. Vertical Receiver Hitch package with main supports, center section, struts, graded hardware, a Chrome Hitch head with EITHER a Bushtec Hitch Pin and Stainless Steel Lock OR 1 7/8 inch Stainless Steel ball, Plug-N-Play Electronic Relay Isolator Package, & Receiver Lock. $359.00

V.2 Basic Package - Fits all GL1800 models & years. Consists of V.2 Bushtec Vertical Receiver Hitch with removable center section, graded hardware, chrome hitch head with chrome 1 7/8 inch ball, vertical head pin & hairclip, plug-in non-isolating harness. $279.00
So, if you want all the bells and whistles, order the one with all the bells and whistles.

#5 ·
Re: Bushtec Mudflap bracket

stangro said:
Shouldn't all the parts necessary to install the mudflap to the hitch come with the mudflap, or at least inform the customer of this up front. This doesn't make sense to me. The mudflap came with 2 bolts/washers/nuts. Following your logic, they should have been extra as well.

The Hitch is a marvelously well design piece of hardware, and I was really impressed with its installation. it is unfortunate that the Bushtec matching mudflap cannot be readily installed.
If you would check our web site you will find that the mud flap bracket is offered as a stand alone item as well as the mud flap and is also offered in a combo with the bracket. We ship what the customer requests since some buyers have other manufacturers hitches and want our flap or they may have our hitch and want to use another manufacturers flap on our hitch. We also offer the Deluxe version of our V.2 hitch which includes the mud flap and bracket.

This is a case where One size does not fit all.

#6 ·
a babe in the woods....

Well, if I knew then what I know now, I guess I would have gone with the bells and whistle (deluxe) version from the get-go.

First I didn't think I needed any isolation devices, so I ordered the Bushtec base model. After reading (primarily on this board) that isolation is really recommended, I ordered the elec connection isolation relay/wiring. Then someone said a mudflap really keeps dirt & grime off your trailer, so I ended up building the deluxe pkg. Now I need a mudflap bracket...

#7 ·
I ordered the V.2 hitch and the decided on the mud flap also. From Hal the mud flap comes with all the parts & instructions on how to mount it. There was a bracket that came with it , put the screws threw the mud flap, install the bracket on the wheel side and your done. The bracket keeps the flap from contacting the tire.

#8 ·
Bloodstone05 said:
I ordered the V.2 hitch and the decided on the mud flap also. From Hal the mud flap comes with all the parts but no instructions on how to mount it. There was a bracket that came with it , but the prepunched holes on the mudflap didn't line up with it
I got my V2 deluxe hitch from Hal... came with all of the hardware (including a hitch lock I didn't expect) and instructions for everything including how to mount the mudflap and bracket.

The only thing not covered in the instructions was that I had to trim the top corners of the rubber mudflap. Once that was explained to me... installation was a breeze.

#9 ·
Re: a babe in the woods....

stangro said:
Well, if I knew then what I know now, I guess I would have gone with the bells and whistle (deluxe) version from the get-go.

First I didn't think I needed any isolation devices, so I ordered the Bushtec base model. After reading (primarily on this board) that isolation is really recommended, I ordered the elec connection isolation relay/wiring. Then someone said a mudflap really keeps dirt & grime off your trailer, so I ended up building the deluxe pkg. Now I need a mudflap bracket...

Caveat emptor... The vendors on this board are second to none.... Maybe YOU should have done a little more homework... Why is it always somebody eles fault??? "Gee this hamburger I ordered would have tasted so much better with cheese on it" Thats why they make CHEESEBURGERS!! Bite the bullet and buy the darn bracket.... geeeze!!

Matt(Ashland,MA) :a13:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.