GL1800Riders Forums banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
538 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just received my Kisan dual headlight modulator... now I got to figure a simple, easy way to plug the two units onto the back of the low beams on my 2005 Wing... any suggestions as to how I can get to the back of the lamps without tearing the fairing all to pieces?

Where & how did you install the daylight sensor?

Keep in mind, I have hands (meat hooks) the size of a large ham!

Thanks in advance!!

·
Registered
311 Posts
You didn't say what year Goldwing. Kisan says to remove the left and right pockets to gain access. I put mine on the High beams. On an 06 the access to the left high beam was blocked by the foot heater control so I removed the top shelter. I probably could have reached the low beam. I drilled a hole in the top shelter just above the right pocket for the daylight sensor. I also carry a small cap to put over the sensor should I desire to turn off the modulator during the day and still use the high beams.

·
Registered
538 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
LeeBos,

It is a 2005 wing... tnx for the input.

·
Registered
8,574 Posts
LeeBos said:
On an 06 the access to the left high beam was blocked by the foot heater control so I removed the top shelter.
The foot heater control is held there with one screw. I removed the control knob and the plate to get to the screw and just removed that to get the assembly out of the way.

Mine are on the high beams too.

I ran the sensor out to the handle bars and zip tied the end behind the master cylinder. You can't even tell it's there. But I think a better idea is to run it out between the front fairing and the rear view mirror - I read people did that but I never saw any pictures on how exactly they did it. I think I might redo mine that way - I need more details first though.

·
Registered
293 Posts
Don't have heater controls, but I just popped out the right and left pockets and my hands were small enough to get up in there to the high beams. I found that the rubber cover on the inside of the lens prevented a good solid connection of the Kisan pucks. I removed them and trimmed the inside of the rubber just enough to allow the Kisans to sit down on the connectors good and tight and to also allow enough room for the control wiring. I opened up the opening by the left pocket where the intercom cable comes up thru and brought the sensor up thru there and sealed it all with just a dab of black silicone sealant.
The little rubber cover over the sensor head suggestion stated above is a good idea because there are a few rare times I'd like to run the high beams unmodulated during the day....

·
Registered
538 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Hmmmmmmmmm......

I see some of you are using your Kisan modulator on the high beams... just curious as to why not use the lows?

My thinking is during the day, around town, the "blinking" of the lows should get the attention that is needed so no idiot will pull out in front of me and if I modulate the highs... it may create some 'ill will by the cagers' for us scooter riders becasue, on high, even in sunlight, the GW highs are bright!

Surely would like to see your reasoning.

·
Registered
5,541 Posts
I had my 5' nothing better-half do it for me :!:

Like you, I've got really big hands! I could get them into the space, but could not manuver my hand around at all to install the modulator.

·
Registered
311 Posts
BugEyedTurkey said:
Hmmmmmmmmm......

I see some of you are using your Kisan modulator on the high beams... just curious as to why not use the lows?

My thinking is during the day, around town, the "blinking" of the lows should get the attention that is needed so no idiot will pull out in front of me and if I modulate the highs... it may create some 'ill will by the cagers' for us scooter riders becasue, on high, even in sunlight, the GW highs are bright!

Surely would like to see your reasoning.
When I ride with a group it makes it easier to turn the modulator off, just hit the high beam switch. I can also turn it off in any situation in which I feel it's not needed. If I had it on the lows, I'd have to search around the pocket for my "cap" which covers the daylight sensor and then put it on, (simulating night), in order to turn it off. When the modulator is on I also adjust the headlights to full down, to lessen the impact on cagers.

·
Registered
8,574 Posts
BugEyedTurkey said:
Hmmmmmmmmm......

Well, because that's what the instructions said. I think. Everything I read before said to use on the high beams. I also agree with what LeeBos said. You could use another switch instead of a cap but I don't need another switch. I like it on the high beams. 8)

·
Registered
293 Posts
Having it on the highs is the best way in my opinion....nice and bright and you WANT to be seen...thats the whole point of it.
As far as "upsetting a few cagers"....I could care less about upsetting them. I've already had "polite" words with a couple of em. I'd rather they be upset and see me (they'll get over it) than not see me and I get upset (literally) and never get over it...... If I get in a situation where they need to be turned off, its easy to just drop to low beams or lower the lights as suggested above. I try to use good judgement, but the bottom line; it is my hide and I'm gonna do everything I can to protect it regardless of who it might "upset".

·
SOB First Shirt
918 Posts
lgjhn said:
Having it on the highs is the best way in my opinion....nice and bright and you WANT to be seen...thats the whole point of it.
As far as "upsetting a few cagers"....I could care less about upsetting them. I've already had "polite" words with a couple of em. I'd rather they be upset and see me (they'll get over it) than not see me and I get upset (literally) and never get over it...... If I get in a situation where they need to be turned off, its easy to just drop to low beams or lower the lights as suggested above. I try to use good judgement, but the bottom line; it is my hide and I'm gonna do everything I can to protect it regardless of who it might "upset".
Amen, Ditto

·
Registered
538 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
OK, I just finished the installation & took the suggestions and put the modulators on the hi beams.

If I may be so brash, bold and use some off color language... Da&%, they were a bi#@* to install! I can see now, why some of the guys bi#@* about doing - what I thought would be a simple job - a little 'ol job of changing bulbs! Whoa... nothing easy with the size meat hooks I carry on the end of my arms!

I used a flashlight (it was dark out) to check 'em out & they seem to do OK... I'll know better tomorrow. Will run around town with the high beams on and adjusted (tilted?) all the way down.

Thanks for the help and suggestions... now lets see if it will stop the dumb a$$ cagers from pulling out in front of me. That is what prompted me to spring for 'em and get 'em installed as quickly as I could.

·
Registered
3,311 Posts
BugEyedTurkey said:
OK, I just finished the installation & took the suggestions and put the modulators on the hi beams.
May the Force Be With You !

Mine fell off 2 or 3 times in the past 6 months. I crimped the connectors with pliers a bit, and so far, 2 months, 3000 miles, no problems.

Knock on Wood. :banghead:

·
Registered
8,574 Posts
n9frp said:
BugEyedTurkey said:
May the Force Be With You !

Mine fell off 2 or 3 times in the past 6 months. I crimped the connectors with pliers a bit, and so far, 2 months, 3000 miles, no problems.

Knock on Wood. :banghead:
Mine went on really tight in the first place. They've been on for a good three months now with no problems. But this info is good to keep in mine when the bulbs need to be replaced.

·
Registered
8,574 Posts
BugEyedTurkey said:
Thanks for the help and suggestions... now lets see if it will stop the dumb a$$ cagers from pulling out in front of me. That is what prompted me to spring for 'em and get 'em installed as quickly as I could.
Keep your guard up. If you see a cell phone glued to the driver's ear assume they still aren't going to see you...

·
Registered
1,169 Posts
On my 05 VTX 1300, I had installed a Comagination headlight modulator and liked it very much. Had it setup to work on the hight beam.

Reading the posts here I only seem to be seeing mention of the Kisan modulator. Is it the preferred brand of most Wingers or are there others that are being used?

I want to install a modulator on my 05 GL1800 soon. Have had it three and a half weeks now and believe it is high time to do so. Thanks.

Todd

·
Registered
8,574 Posts
wvnnva said:
Reading the posts here I only seem to be seeing mention of the Kisan modulator. Is it the preferred brand of most Wingers or are there others that are being used?
Yes, from what I've read, most use Kisan.

·
Registered
1,285 Posts
high beams

If you have a lot of electrics going through the left pocket it seems like you are going to need to pull the top shelter. And yes run it through the high beams.

·
Registered
560 Posts
I installed the Comagination modulator on my GL1800.

Unit is very small and contains its own solid state relays so the bikes' relays are not used. Only control voltage goes through the headlight switch. It receives its power from a direct wiring run to the battery. I installed mine between the headlights behind the instrument cluster.

I installed the light sensor between the edge of the windshield and the rubber fairing molding (no drilling required). You can't see it unless your really looking for it.

Has worked flawlessly since installation. The manufacturer contends it is brighter than other modulators as it draws power directly from the battery thru heavy gauge wire, eliminating the voltage drop that occurs when powering it using the bikes wiring.

JJ

1 - 19 of 19 Posts