GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
some of you many already be aware of this trick but I didn't realize I was able to lock my shelter case/tank compartment by locking the handle bars with big ass drink holder installed on the left handle bar. By turning the handle bars to the left and locking them, the big ass drink holder is locked above the shelter case/tank compartment and I was not able to open it to get my phone out.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
756 Posts
Both compartments lock when you take the key fob away from the bike as do all the cases.

·
Love The DCT
12,014 Posts
some of you many already be aware of this trick but I didn't realize I was able to lock my shelter case/tank compartment by locking the handle bars with big ass drink holder installed on the left handle bar. By turning the handle bars to the left and locking them, the big ass drink holder is locked above the shelter case/tank compartment and I was not able to open it to get my phone out.
IMO, Honda should have made that compartment lockable from the getgo.

:doorag:

·
Premium Member
287 Posts
My shelter case compartment is "locked" at this very moment. I dare someone to try to get it opened. I sure as heck can't. Honestly one of my only gripes with a machine that I otherwise adore.

·
Registered
19,228 Posts
I agree, I do not want the phone compartment to lock if the battery was dead I can get to my phone. I only leave it connected while on the bike

·
Love The DCT
12,014 Posts
Think like that.
If there was a lock mechanism at the glove box just like the fuel door, if a malfunction occurs and can not open the lid you wont be able to reach your phone and call any help :)
Very simple solution. Instead of an electronically activated lock, make it a keyed lock.

·
Love The DCT
12,014 Posts
I agree, I do not want the phone compartment to lock if the battery was dead I can get to my phone. I only leave it connected while on the bike
If that compartment had a keyed lock, you wouldn’t have to worry about a dead battery.

·
Registered
368 Posts
My shelter case compartment is "locked" at this very moment. I dare someone to try to get it opened. I sure as heck can't. Honestly one of my only gripes with a machine that I otherwise adore.
At the risk of insulting you, which I do not intend to do, have you pushed on the right side of the button for the shelter compartment? I know if I push on the center or left side, the button will not disengage the lock. If you have done this, then "somethin ain't right" as the button is not lockable intentionally.

·
Registered
356 Posts
Very simple solution. Instead of an electronically activated lock, make it a keyed lock.

Nope. I don't want there to be just one exposed lock on the bike, let alone right in front of me. Ugly and goes against clean design as intended. I don't care about securing my phone, because if I'm not on the bike, the phone is with me. No exceptions. Anything else small I want locked, I can lock up in the side compartment. This is a convenient place to put your phone so you can connect to CarPlay while keeping things neat and clean; it's not meant to be a vault for valuables.

·
Registered
505 Posts
I don't care about securing my phone, because if I'm not on the bike, the phone is with me.
Same here, even if it did lock I would still take my phone with me if i walk away from the bike.

·
Premium Member
287 Posts
At the risk of insulting you, which I do not intend to do, have you pushed on the right side of the button for the shelter compartment? I know if I push on the center or left side, the button will not disengage the lock. If you have done this, then "somethin ain't right" as the button is not lockable intentionally.
No insult taken. Yes, I've tried that. It's not a matter of not being able to depress the button. It depresses just fine (especially after I've applied some light lubricant to the metal cylinder). It's simply that the "springiness" of the door isn't enough to lift the door while the latching mechanism is "unlocked" in the bike. It goes something like this:

1. Depress right side of button (where the cylinder is located).
2. This "unlocks" the latch in the bike.
3. Release button.
4. Instead of the door lifting in time, the latch re-engages and we're right back where we started.

The only "solution" that I've found is to depress the button and VERY QUICKLY release it. And that's not 100%. I'm seriously considering replacing the entire mechanism with some neodymium magnets and a small tab.

·
Love The DCT
12,014 Posts
Nope. I don't want there to be just one exposed lock on the bike, let alone right in front of me. Ugly and goes against clean design as intended. I don't care about securing my phone, because if I'm not on the bike, the phone is with me. No exceptions. Anything else small I want locked, I can lock up in the side compartment. This is a convenient place to put your phone so you can connect to CarPlay while keeping things neat and clean; it's not meant to be a vault for valuables.
I would bet somewhere at sometime someone has left their phone in that compartment. I never plug my phone in so I don’t worry about that. However, I do have a USB stick plugged in and usually keep a pair of decent sunglasses in the foam pocket. It’s an annoyance to remove items to keep them from being “five finger discounted.”

The right side compartment is a joke for all but small items. You might be able to jam a pair of thin riding gloves in there, but a heavier pair won’t fit.

·
Registered
356 Posts
The right side compartment is a joke for all but small items. You might be able to jam a pair of thin riding gloves in there, but a heavier pair won’t fit.

My sunglasses fit just fine in the right side, and I'd imagine a USB stick probably would fit, too. :)

Reactions: RickLB

·
Registered
1,229 Posts
IMO, Honda should have made that compartment lockable from the get go.

IMHO: Honda could have made a non electric key system as a alternate or option (much simpler than than the emergency one they have installed) And eliminated a whole lot of complex simple problems!! The "Radio button keys" that the owners invented years ago would have worked perfect on this application. KIS!!!

:banghead:

·
Registered
205 Posts
The whole idea is to go keyless.

I don't want to carry around one key for the phone compartment.

Reactions: Order66

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
OK so no one likes the locking ability I discovered? :crying:

No manual key to break the sleek lines and it is not an automatic electric lock. Does this not fit everyone's need:shrug:

·
Registered
2018 Honda Gold Wing
7,543 Posts
I always hated the look of that key lock on the fuel door with the old wing but I overlooked it because we really had no choice and the rest of the bike was so awesome in its time. I was really pleased with the styling the first time I seen the new design with the smooth keyless fuel door and glove box...looks so much better without that key lock...actually its pretty nice now to have a key at all.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts