GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
545 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a Garmin Zumo 550 on which I have been able to load and play music, however, my methods are far from refined and many of the songs I load never seem to play. I suspect it is because when I download music via Ares from the internet sometimes I am downloading albums rather than individual songs and subsequently drag and drop albums rather than songs, but I am not sure of anything. What I would like to do is have several separate playlists loaded on the 550 so when I get tired of one playlist I can switch to another. I don't even know if this is possible with the 550 as it seems to decide for itself where a song will be filed, ie; by genra. The Garmin manual only says music can be loaded by dragging and dropping (not very helpful). I really need some detailed destructions here. Will appreciate any help anyone can provide. Reg

·
Registered
545 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Still need help

I had a look at this site and there was one thread that was helpful - it suggested dragging directly onto the card (ie; insert the card into the computer) and creat one file then several sub-files. I can handle that. The thing that is now confusing me is: with the music loaded on the card and the card loaded in the 550, how can I tell where the 550 is selecting the music from. For example, how do I know if it is selecting music from the card or from the internal memory? Does anyone have a handle on how the Zumo 550 allows you to select music other than the options that show up in the 550 which is; All, Album, Artist, Genre. You can click on any one of these and get more selections but nothing seems to let you know whether your choice is coming from the internal memory or the storage card.

If you have the time to sort through it there is a lot of information you need here> http://www.zumoforums.com/index.php?board=3.0

·
Registered
1,659 Posts
I have a Zumo 665, so what I say may not coincide with how a Zumo 550 does things.

With the 665 I convert an iTune song to mp3 then drag it into a folder on the card. With the 665 you must keep the number of songs in a folder at 20 or less. I currently have 28 folders on a 16 gb card. I'm not sure why you would want any music installed in the internal memory, because as I understand it the 550 has a very limited internal memory. With the 665 I don't think you can even put music in the internal memory.

·
Registered
2,637 Posts
I have a Zumo 665, so what I say may not coincide with how a Zumo 550 does things.

With the 665 I convert an iTune song to mp3 then drag it into a folder on the card. With the 665 you must keep the number of songs in a folder at 20 or less. I currently have 28 folders on a 16 gb card. I'm not sure why you would want any music installed in the internal memory, because as I understand it the 550 has a very limited internal memory. With the 665 I don't think you can even put music in the internal memory.
W O W !!!!

I have thousands of music songs in five folders, a 32 GB card on my 665 !!!!! You might need to go back and reevaluate your way of installing music files on your 665... :thumbup:

·
Registered
416 Posts
W O W !!!!

I have thousands of music songs in five folders, a 32 GB card on my 665 !!!!! You might need to go back and reevaluate your way of installing music files on your 665... :thumbup:
The common advise to only have 20 MP3 files per folder was a workaround for a problem with the 66x where it would take a long time to start-up and then sometimes would not see any of the music files. Garmin recently provided a firmware update to the 66x that addressed this problem. The 20 MP3 files per folder strategy is no longer necessary.

·
Registered
1,659 Posts
I'm glad that works for you (thousands of songs in 5 folders), but it has been noted many times at www.zumoforums.com limiting folders to a max of 20 songs eliminates song acquisition ability problems and device lockups as well as other issues. Here is one thread from that site that speaks to this> http://www.zumoforums.com/index.php?topic=16202.0

·
Registered
545 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Missing the point

From what I am hearing my 8GB card is not big enough and I need to get a 32 GB card but I am not seeing anything that splains how to access the separate files. For example, lets say I have 50 files and we will name them 1 thru 50 and each have 20 songs. I do not seem to have the ability on the 550 to select the file I want. The only choices are genre, Artist, Album or all. Does anyone know how to access a particular file on the 550?
Tnx
Reg

·
Registered
1,700 Posts
songs

When searching for songs if you hit "select all" the Zumo will list them all alphabetically. You can put them in whatever order you want if you put a number in front of each song title.

Say you would like to have 9 folders with different genres of music.... Before each song in the first folder, put a number 1 in front of the title, then a number 2 in front of all the songs in the second folder.

Then when you view all the songs (listed alphabetically) the songs from the first folder will show up first (all with a number 1 at the beginning of the title), then all the songs from the second folder (with a number 2 at the beginning of each song title). Etc.
Since the 550 does not separate the songs by folder, that is the only way I can see to manually separate them and keep them in the order you want.

Kurt

·
Registered
2,986 Posts
Another 665 user here. I haven't reverse engineered all its oddities, I'm not having issues with >20 songs in a folder but there certainly are some others. I had an adventure trying to figure out how to make things work to play through some multi-disc audiobooks I had. I finally broke the code with a brute force filenaming convention along the lines of what BGBLK06 describes.

The reason I bring it up is this -- I don't know you need to do, but it will probably involve some bludgeoning to your music library to make it work. You probably want a tool that help you do that. I've been using MediaMonkey for a long time as my song thing. It has some handy tools to help tag, rename, and otherwise manage filenames, file properties, etc. It made it very possible for me to do the silly hacks the zumo needed to be tricked into behaving. For example, I could rename 16 discs of 12 tracks each to a filename of the format "disc#_track#_whatever.mp3" with a few clicks.

Other tools might do the same. Keep MediaMonkey or anther one of them in mind if you find yourself with a need. You don't need to do it manually. There is a free version of MM that I think will do the library maintenance tag/organize stuff. I think you have to go for the pay version to get on-the-fly mp3 file conversion, but that's not a bad investment given the zumo's reluctance to recognize other stuff. I got the Lifetime Gold key ages ago, and am happy I did.

·
Registered
1,700 Posts
mp3

Another option....

I didn't feel like dealing with the issues we are discussing here, so I just bought a JM digital music player. Problem solved.
Takes up to nine folders with 99 songs each..... Just drag and drop them into whatever folder you want and your done with it.
On a side note, my bike is an 06 and had no trouble with the J&M. I tried 3 different units on my dad's bike which is an 03 and none of them would work (even when I lowered the number of songs and folders like the instructions say for the pre 06 years). I tried a Bikemp3 player and it worked flawlessly out of the box.

Kurt

·
Registered
545 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks Guys

Thanks a bunch guys, I think the numbering thing will do the trick and will also have a look at Media Monkey. I have a Sony Wi which has been working very well on both my 03's but when I recently bought the Zumo 550 I thought it would be nice to have everything on one unit. The other major factor is that I cannot see the tiny print and am unable to change files (I know, I should not be fiddling with the MP3 while riding) while riding, it just requires too much attention to be safe. The 550, on the other hand, is quite easy to read and the controls are user friendly. Its time for a major change to my lineup of songs anyway (had the same tunes for about 4 years) so I think I will just bite the bullet and start from scratch. I love this board, I can always count on getting reliable help/info. Keep the shiny side up folks!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts