GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After owning my '02 GL1800 for 12 days, I have a burned out right low-beam headlight..... and me without a local GL1800 friend or a service manual.

I searched this site for threads and found several, including great shots by Fred H, but I still can't get that bulb out of the spring retainer. I considered removing the screw holding the spring but saw an opening below where I would likely lose it inside the fairing. I did go to Auto Zone to buy a pair of new Sylvania Silverstar H7 bulbs however. They were $37 with a $10 rebate.

I drove to Champion Honda in Leesburg. The service guy didn't know that you can see this bulb base through the fairing opening so I showed him that it's clearly visible. He told me to press the bulb base to the right side of the bike. I did that but it still won't come out so I'm driving around with that rubber boot off and the headlight wiring hanging loose until I can replace the bulb.

How can something so simple be so difficult?

·
Registered
9,099 Posts
Just an added note - I took that keeper spring out to replace a bulb once. Then I dropped it down the abyss behind the fairing. Had to take the entire front end of the bike apart to retrieve it, put it all back together, and now I head to the local dealer to change the bulbs. I turned a 5 minute job into six hours, and the frustration meter hit tilt.

·
Registered
20,952 Posts
after u have done your first one it will get a whole lot easier

press forward and down on the the end of retainer opposite of the screw and it will come unhooked, DO NOT EVER REMOVE THAT SCREW

when u get the bulb out remember to remove the black plastic adapter from the old bulb and install it on the new bulb

i find the job is a little easier if u remove the meter pannel first, gives u a little more room

·
Registered
5,015 Posts
I got it down to about 3 or 4 minutes now. I had 2 go out in a weeks time. I simply unplug the bulb. Pull the rubber boot out of the bike. Unhook the clip, pull the bulb out, switch over the socket to the new bulb, insert new bulb, put clip back on, put silicon on the inside part of the rubber boot and it glides on perfecly. Put your fingers inside the boot to get the two plugs exposed, then push on the connector. Done. Its that simple. I have never removed any other part, including my foam inserts. I guess I need to mention that I go in from under the triple tree under the fairing.

·
Registered
364 Posts
I took a long handled straight blade screwdriver and filed a v notch in the end. Used it to push in on the retainer spring. Works great! Keeps your hands out of the tight quarters.

·
Resident BBQ Expert
13,862 Posts
cycledude said:

press forward and down on the the end of retainer opposite of the screw and it will come unhooked, DO NOT EVER REMOVE THAT SCREW

when u get the bulb out remember to remove the black plastic adapter from the old bulb and install it on the new bulb

i find the job is a little easier if u remove the meter pannel first, gives u a little more room
seeing as how your an expert

i have a couple for you to do on saturday

chili will be on and hot

·
Registered
1,650 Posts
The easiest way is to take it to the dealer. The local ones will replace under warranty.

·
Registered
393 Posts
It was easier for me to change mine than it would be for me to write the instructions in a way you could follow them. Sort of like tying a shoe. If you have a kid let them try.
I had a eight year old who was standing across the street watching me try to install my 12 volt adapter in the glove box plug the thing in for me :)
Glen

·
Registered
20,952 Posts
loren said:
cycledude said:

chili will be on and hot
WOW a December heatwave is comming ! supposed to b in the 30's tomorrow and its only 145 miles down there

Loren i will b happy to change them, good thing its the low beams, never did hi beams but i hear they are a lot harder to do, "EXPERT" ??? i hope it still runs after i'm done, hope u don't plan on riding anytime soon

just guessing but i think we should b there by noon

·
Registered
408 Posts
One guy to hold the bulb and 6 guys to turn the bike. :lol:

(Somebody had to say it!)

·
Resident BBQ Expert
13,862 Posts
cycledude said:
loren said:
cycledude said:

chili will be on and hot
WOW a December heatwave is comming ! supposed to b in the 30's tomorrow and its only 145 miles down there

Loren i will b happy to change them, good thing its the low beams, never did hi beams but i hear they are a lot harder to do, "EXPERT" ??? i hope it still runs after i'm done, hope u don't plan on riding anytime soon

just guessing but i think we should b there by noon
ill try and be up by noon

see you and brother gary then

i sampled the chili already

·
Registered
20,952 Posts
well today we took out Lorens HID lites that he had Lewis intstall, have to say i was very impressed with the nice neat job Lewis did installing them, anyone looking for a good deal on a set of low mile of HID lites contact MR Weeks

the chili was GREAT !

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Problem Resolved

Red said:
Thanks everybody.... I tried pushing, tilting and prying the black plastic holder as well as both ends and the middle of the spring. When I was prying the flat end of the spring, the looped end popped loose and I immediately saw how it worked. There's a small hook on the loop end so can just push that loop and unhook it. What could be simpler or more frustrating when you don't know?

Red's image makes it clear for me but words weren't penetrating my gray matter. Now I know.... my next challenge will be when I need to replace the high-beam bulbs or the driving lights. I'll worry about that when I need to do it I guess. Due to the cost of buying the bike before Thanksgiving, I missed out on Fred H's DVD sale so I'll watch for his next sale to buy them.

I installed the Sylvania Silverstar bulbs for the extra intensity. Once again, I'm a HAPPY TROOPER.

The disappointing thing is that I visited the Honda dealer to meet the service department staff. The assistant manager looked at my bike and said that I wouldn't be able to reach the low beam bulbs without opening the fairing. After I showed him the rear of the bulb assembly through the fork well, he said to press the black bulb holder to the right to release the spring. He didn't try to assist though. When I tried it later, it didn't work. Obviously he doesn't know about this basic service. I hope that his staff knows more than he does when I take my bike in for service.

·
Registered
20,952 Posts
when it comes to the Hi beam bulbs there is some good news

they can easilly last over 100,000 miles because they don't get used much

·
Registered
2,547 Posts
Re: Problem Resolved

K8KQD said:
Red's image makes it clear for me
Just shows how we are all differently gifted. I have that manual. That
picture did absolutely crud for me. Nowhere in that picture does it show
the need to PUSH the clip FORWARD first. I even tied some twine around
the part of the clip with the down arrow. I pulled very hard.

I finally loosened the little screw to the point of falling out, being very
careful not to lose it if it fell. Then, it became very clear, you have to
push forward on the clip. :oops: :evil:

·
Registered
1,144 Posts
cycledude said:
DO NOT EVER REMOVE THAT SCREW
DO NOT EVER REMOVE THAT SCREW!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts